Two doctors?

Discussion in 'Doctors & Clinics' started by Anna_ed, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Anna_ed

Anna_ed New Member
    Registered

Hi all,

So, about 2.5 months ago I went to my local clinic and was prescribed 1 month supply of 30mg duromine. The doctor (just the relief doctor as I don't actually have a doctor of my own) advised he wouldn't be there the following month, but he'd make me an appointment with another docor and if I lost 5kg I would be prescribed a second month's supply at 40mg.

I lost almost 8 kilos. I felt in control. I was eating properly, exercising and making new healthy habits.
    However, the next doctor (who I doubt has ever had a weight problem in her life) is against duromine and gave me a heap of information of the 5:2 intermittent diet (something I'd already read up on and had been experimenting with!). I almost cried. I think through pity she prescribed me another month's supply at 30mg but warned me there'd be no more.

I lost that feeling of control. I have still been taking them, intermittingly though...and eating obsessively. I am scared to weigh myself.
    I have stopped working out and fallen out of my weightloss support groups.

I still have 4 left.

My question is -

If I go and see another doctor, at another clinic (1 hour's drive away), will they know I have previously been prescribed duromine? Should I tell them, or just try and start fresh again?
    I had the rod thing put in my arm at the other clinic. My local doctors did not know, so 18 months ago or so they did not share information.

Thanks,

Anna

2. Karina

Karina New Member
    Registered

its worth a try, that's exactly what I did, I went to one doctor who I have known for a while and she ABSOLUTELY refused to prescribe it due to " too many side effects" even thou I qualify for the prescription under all guide lines. Next day I went to see another doctor whom I've known also for a long time and he did not have a problem giving me the prescription.

3. Chrissy Mack

Chrissy Mack New Member
    Registered

How did you go Anna? I would have asked for their rationale as to why they are against it. If you fit the critiera then it shouldn't be a problem. I was nervous seeing my Dr but she knows I have weight issue so I didn't need to argue to much. Before seeing her I already had a strong argument, i.e chronic health illness within the family, seeing a dietician, previously having 3 x PT sessions a week and son on. If she had refused I would have asked for her rationale as to why and side effects wouldn't have cut it. I hoped it worked out for you in the end :)

4. Anna_ed

Anna_ed New Member
    Registered

Well, there mustn't be a registry or anything...as the new doctor prescribed me without as issue, but, she would only prescribe me 15mg as my blood pressure was high. I didn't return for the second prescription...need to though!

Chrissy Mack likes this.
  5. wigglejiggle

wigglejiggle New Member
    Registered

I've recently had the same problem, where a doctor I saw just said "I don't feel comfortable prescribing this", no conversation, no tests, that was just the end of it. My previous doctor retired in November last year, wish I had thought to ask him for a referral!