Trying Duromine for the first time

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Plucky, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

Starting Weight:
    96.6kg
    Current Weight:
    96.6kg
    Height:
    161cm
    Lost:
    0kg
    Goal Weight:
    75kg
    Hi!
    I started on Duromine yesterday. I have been 'trying' to lose weight for quite a while and had some success I wasnt doing as well as expected and it was taking a huge toll on my life, time, energy. After pushing for the doctor to test my thyroid she was surprised to discover that it wasnt right but even after that the recommendation was to wait till levels were higher still. I spent a couple of months feeling crappy still but when I realised that my hair was falling out I decided to ask for medication. A year later I switched to a different doctor who wasnt happy with my levels (which other dr thought was fine) and it took a few months and 4 changes of dose to get me to the right levels. In the meantime I just kinda gave up on on my weight and it ballooned once again.

I had previously asked a dr for duromine who refused, told me to eat less and exercise more. I was still obese at that point and had never been able to get int overweight range for more than a day or two. So I had been pretty hesitant to ask again. Last week my sister asked me if I'd consider weight loss surgery. I was devastated as while I can accept I am obese, I am actually a pretty active person who exercises 5-6 times a week, drinks in moderation, I dont have any obesity related illnesses. On Monday I went to the dr and amid my tears explained that I didnt have the energy to try anymore. She started me on Duromine 30mg (after checking BP and asking background questions about anxiety/depression/addiction). I was pretty nervous as I've never tried drugs (except pot) so I had no idea how it would affect me.

Day 1 was fine, got a decent amount of sleep last night. Although I was a bit restless for a period that happens to me occasionally anyway. Mild dry mouth and had a headache when I woke up this morning (assuming caffeine withdrawal as I found I didnt need my daily coke to give me a kick in energy).

Looking for some support here as I am keeping the fact I am on Duromine to myself (even from my husband). I dont want to give my sister the satisfaction of thinking that she was the reason I am giving this ago. Refocusing on my weight loss was a goal anyway for a 13km fun run in June and then a beach holiday in October. But I will admit my determination to get there has gone up a notch.

TeeDee67, shanR and Sherlock_76 like this.
  2. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hello Plucky! Welcome to the forum and thank you very much for sharing your story with us! I am sorry about so much struggle with doctors that you had to go through, and so much time lost and feeling bad. It’s good though that you have decided to shift the situation and I wish you from the bottom of my heart to achieve your goals, feel healthier and never ever again hear proposals about any stupid weight loss surgeries. You can do it, and you will defeat these hormones, ok? I am here, if you need me and I am sure that you will find lots of support, motivation and useful info on weight loss on our forum. If you have any questions or want to share anything, feel free to write whenever you feel like. If you wish, I can pat your shoulder or hold your hand or kick your a** to make you move forward. =)) I’m kidding about kicking =) If the headache persists, you will have to take something and drink even more water. Duromine can cause dehydration, which in its turn can cause your headache. Have a wonderful day and don’t forget about eating healthy food and drinking plenty of water.

3. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

Last nights sleep was worse than the first night even though I exercised twice yesterday and went to bed a bit later. No issues falling asleep but woke up was quite restless. Mild headache still today although given I've already had 2lts of water its not dehydration ( I had about 4lts in total yesterday too). While I was running last night I had weird a sensation on patches of my face and arms. It felt a lot like the time I took a pre-workout, didnt feel faint or anything. Checked my hear rate out over of the course of my run afterwards (fitbit heart rate monitor) and it was all normal. Still feeling hunger in the morning and at lunch but dinner I could take it or leave it. I am yet to experience that full feeling (I have only ever experienced it while pregnant so I was curious to see if Duromine would induce that hormone to work).I did weigh myself this morning even though I have muscle fatigue due to 2 weeks off running and my period arrived over night so I know I am holding water weight but I was still 1.4kg down from Day 1.

4. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Oh wow! All in all, looks like you’re having a pretty good start! Sorry about the headache though… hopefully, it will alleviate within the nearest days. BRAVO on your exercising! You’re serious into this weight loss journey. Love it! It means that great results won’t be long in coming. =)

5. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

I gots bit more sleep last night so that was an improvement, mild headache still. Since I had a coke yesterday it must be a Duromine side effect. Slept a little better last night, though also gave a mild headache this morning. My appetite is still there, I am trying to skip breakfast this morning as we are having people over for lunch today so it will be hard to stick to my 1500 cals otherwise. Weight loss so far 2.2kg hopefully I can maintain over the Easter long weekend.

6. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hi Plucky! Congrats on better sleep! =) and of course on first weight loss results! I would advise you not to skip breakfast completely! Otherwise, you can binge later. Better have something light… natural yogurt and a toast with a piece of cucumber. I also have some tips for parties… how not to give in to your stomach and eyes desire to eat everything =) Since you have guests coming over, do your best to communicate to the maximum. You will not have time to eat a lot. Drink more water, fill your plate with veggies. Choose 2-3 dishes that you like the most and have some. Enjoy each bite, chew thoroughly, savoring the flavor. If there is an entertainment program, take part in all games, dances, and so on. Enjoy the atmosphere and don’t focus on food. Give out less healthy dishes to guests when they leave. This is probably it =) Hope you will enjoy the celebration and wish you a wonderful weekend!

7. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

Well it was an up and down weekend weight wise, finished week 1 2.1kg down which isnt too bad considering easter I guess. I ended up sticking to 2 meals a day over the weekend although they were on the bigger side calorie wise, Friday had a few drinks added to that. Sunday had a few chocolates added. I skipped my duromine on Sunday as I slept in, my appetite didnt seem any different to previous days. Sleeping is normal again, I also noticed that I didnt get up during the night to go to the bathroom which is unheard of for me as I drink a lot of water including in the evening which I did last night as per normal. I didnt have a headache all weekend so hopefully that side effect is gone too.

April likes this.
  8. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

Congrats! Just remember, scales weigh mass not fat. Little fluctuations will happen day to day and can be from water weight (gaining or losing it) which is why some people only weigh themselves every 7 days and not daily because it can be inaccurate and dissuading otherwise, and most of what you lose in the first three days is water weight which you will put back on eventually when you’re not at a calorie deficit. Scales and measurements can be a good indication you’re on the right track, but your calorie deficit tells the real story.

April likes this.
  9. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Even if we don’t consider the Easter, you managed to lose a good amount of weight, so congrats on that! And keep in mind that it’s just straight forward from now on. Stay focused and enjoy small wins over your habits every day. You know, it might be useful to set some simple goals for the week, like I will walk 15 minutes every day in a fast pace, or I will massage my stomach and arms every day, something like that – something that will make you choose good things for taking care of yourself.

As for not waking up for the bathroom time this night… the thing is that when you increase your water intake, your body needs some time to get used to it and direct the water where it is needed the most (cells) instead of simply excreting it from the body. Once it adjust to the increased water consumption, the amount of your visits to the small room decrease and return to your normal schedule. Wish you a very fruitful weight loosing week!

10. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

Another kg down after week 2 + 1 day. Skipped my tablet on Sunday due to a massive late night Saturday. I didnt think duromine was making a huge dif to my appetite but I certainly felt the dif on Sunday although I wonder if that also related to the fact between running, housework and going to a dance party I did 22k steps on Saturday. Monday I was still pretty hungry despite the tablet but yesterday it seemed to settle again.

Oh and and my run time on Sat was my best ever! I was super stoked with that outcome. Hopefully this improvement keeps up over the next 7 weeks so I can achieve my goal of running the entire 13km course.

Chum and April like this.
  11. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

Almost finished my first script so I was back to the doctors today. 6kg down since I started, she was pretty impressed. 30mg for another month although she indicated she may make the last month the 40mg. No one has actually said anything to me but I can see the difference in some of my clothes now. I've generally been missing my Sunday tablet as I like to sleep in on Sundays but I also missed Monday and yesterday. By yesterday I could really feel the difference in my energy! Makes me think at the end I should space them out a bit esp if I switch to 40mg.

12. skinnymee

skinnymee Active Member
    Registered

Hi Plucky, please learn from my experience and definitely do space them out at the end. I stopped abruptly in February and it was harrowing. I had trouble getting out of bed at all (hugely out of character). My body felt heavy and my muscles week. It took about 5 days to get back to my normal self. I consider myself to have a strong mind. I am intelligent, optimistic and able to take most challenges in my stride. However, those 5 days were very dark, with extremely low energy and lots of negative thoughts. This is very unusual for me and quite alarming when I consider how many people might be coming off Duromine at any one time and not know the proper protocol. I didn't - until April told me "..you should not discontinue Duromine that sharply. When you will be getting closer to the end of the last pack, you will have to take it every other day for a week, then with a 2-day interval, then with a 3-day interval, and so until you stop. This should help avoid possible withdrawals."

Congrats on your PB! You have a good attitude - sounds like you'll nail that 13kms.

April likes this.
  13. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

Had win yesterday. I bought a dress online a few weeks ago. Lovely dress but just too small. I bought a backup dress which I thought would be slightly big if anything. The backup dress arrived yesterday so I tried it on. It did fit but only just. I pull out the measuring tape to see how the actual dress compares to the measurements quoted. It was almost the same as my too small dress. So I tried the first dress to discover it does do up now! It’s more snug than I would wear a dress but with 3 more weeks till the event it’s looking like I may be able to wear it after all. Definitely motived to keep on ttack now. Can’t wait to see my husbands face when I walk out with it on.

14. Chum

Chum New Member
    Registered

Great work :D

15. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

5 weeks done and I am down 6.7kgs! Although I'll have to watch my diet a bit better in particular protein because apparently 1.8kgs of that is lean body mass.

16. Determined93

Determined93 Active Member
    Registered

Congrats, great work! How do you tell what amount is lean body mass compared to fat?

April likes this.
  17. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

I have fitbit aria scales. I know its not the most accurate was to measure BF% however when I compared the results from the aria to the one I had done at the nutritionist which had hand & feet sensors and did give what seemed to be an accurate assessment of where I carry more BF they were almost the same (.1% diff from memory). I have also compared to online calculators where multiple measuring points are used to determine BF% and again the numbers were really close. The actual number might not be right for some people but it seems to be pretty close for me. Like weight the BF% shown is affected by hydration levels etc but used under the same conditions each day it seems to give me an accurate enough trend for me to asses my progress (or lack thereof) . I might sound a bit defensive about them but people on MFP really bag out bioimpendance for measuring BF% but at the same time people recognise water retention can mask fat loss. I know when I see a low BF% that I will also have weight that reflects water retention. Likewise a sudden drop in weight will also show a higher BF% because I am likely dehydrated.

April likes this.
  18. Determined93

Determined93 Active Member
    Registered

Do you know if there’s any way to get a rough estimate of bf% without fancy scales? I only have basic scales but I’m curious to know what mine is.

19. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

Calculator.net/body-fat-calculator using the us naval method was pretty close for me.

April likes this.
  20. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered