Top green veggies and recipes

Discussion in 'General Diet Plans and Questions' started by Kate, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello my dearest friends and weight loss pals!​

Today I would like to talk about essential part of a good weight loss diet, namely about vegetables. Now, I am sure you know them well and even use on a daily basis, but there are also people, who rarely consume these veggies or forgot they even exist. Hopefully, this article will remind many of you the importance of these vegetables in a healthy diet and help diversify your daily meals. Plus, you will find a simple recipe under each product mentioned below and will be able to try them out yourself. Let's start with the green ones.

BROCCOLI
    Broccoli.png

Considered one of the healthiest vegetables in the world, broccoli is still not the most favorite food for many people. Some of them hate the smell, others its taste, but maybe these people have never cooked it properly. Trust me, this green vegetable can be delicious. Dietitians do not recommend overcooking broccoli (more than 20 minutes), since it loses its texture, taste and nutrients. This mini-tree is too precious for our health to ignore it. Broccoli contains vitamin C, K, Iron and Potassium. This “super vegetable” helps to fight obesity, diabetes and even heart disease. Recent studies say that because of folate, broccoli can even minimize the risk of breast cancer in women. It contains very low calories, which makes it a perfect product for a weight loss diet. Try this warm salad to discover a new taste of broccoli:

Broccoli – 1 bunch
    Cherry tomatoes – 4-6 pieces
    Walnuts (crushed) – 1 tablespoon
    Red or yellow paprika – 1 half
    Chicken liver (optional) – 200 gr
    Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
    Cream (low fat) – 1 tablespoon
    Number of portions - 2

Boil broccoli florets in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain it and put in cold water to rest. Take a large skillet and fry the sliced chicken liver (skip this step if you don't use liver) till it is soft. Add sweet paprika cubes, walnuts and cherry tomato halves and cook for another 10 minutes. Finally, add broccoli, soy sause and cream, stir well and cook for 3 minutes. Serve hot.

KALE
    Kale.jpg

Kale as pretty much every cabbage kind is rich of vitamin A, B6, C, K, plus Calcium, Magnesium and antioxidants lowering cholesterol levels. In addition, some studies confirm kale has cancer preventive properties. Not to mention this vegetable consists of fiber, providing perfect digestion. Nutritionists recommend to add cabbages to every meat dish. You can consume fresh kale in salads, boiled in soup, or steamed with other vegetables. Just remember, it gives its best nutrients when not overcooked. Here's one simple recipe for you:

Kale – 1 bunch
    Minced garlic – 1 teaspoon
    Olive oil – 1 tablespoon

Wash and chop kale leaves, heat olive oil and cook garlic on a medium heat (+/- 1 minute), add a pinch of salt in it. Add chopped kale to the garlic and stew it under the lid for another 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!

AVOCADO
    Avocado.jpg

Mmmm! One of my personal favorites. Well, technically it is a fruit, but we love to use it in our regular non-sweet dishes, right? This green fruit is very very nutritious, which means you need just a half of it to feel full. It has almost all of the vitamins of B group (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6), as well as vitamins A, C, E, K, Folate, Potassium, Magnesium, Manganese, Iron, Zink, Copper and Phosphorous. This fruit is high in fat (unsaturated vegetable fat), but it is the oleic fatty acid mostly, known for lowering of high blood pressure and its cancer preventive effect. Fiber, yes avocado is loaded with fiber. Besides, avocado oil is good for your skin, so you can do a home-made face mask to moisturize and nourish your dehydrated skin.

You can eat it fresh mixed with cucumbers or tomatoes, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. Or try this simple and very very tasty recipe of mine:

Avocado – 1 half (aprox. 100 gr)
    Pomegranate seeds – 100 gr
    Hard cheese cubes – 50 gr
    Lemon juice, salt.

Cut the avocado and hard cheese in cubes, add pomegranate seeds and mix with a pinch of salt in a big bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1/3 lemon and pour in the mixture. Trust me it is delicious. This salad contains about 300 calories, so it is quite a full lunch for you. There are plenty of recipes with avocado, just be creative!

SPINACH
    Spinach.jpg

These green leaves contain plenty of vitamin K, C Potassium (good for muscles) and lutein (good for eyes). Needless to mention spinach is rich in fiber, helping you avoid constipation. Plus, it is pretty tasty both fresh and cooked. However, spinach is a very 'gentle' plant, so make sure you cook it no more than couple of minutes. Here's my favorite spinach recipe, which I borrowed from Italy:

Spinach (fresh) – 10 ounces
    Mushrooms (better fresh) – 14 ounces
    Onion (chopped) – 1 small
    Garlic – 2 cloves (or garlic powder)
    Olive oil – 4 tablespoons
    Balsamic vinegar – 2 tablespoons
    Wite wine – 0,5 cup
    Salt and pepper to your taste
    Parsley (chopped) – handful

Heat the oil (medium heat), add chopped onion and garlic into it and cook till they become soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes. Next, stir fresh spinach with the mixture and cook for another couple of minutes, untill the leaves are tender. Pour the vinegar and stir all well, then comes the wine. When vinegar and wine are fully absorbed, add salt, pepper and fresh parsley. Voila, your healthy garnish is ready. P.S.: if you don't like balsamic vinegar, try a tablespoon of low-fat cream instead.

GREEN BEANS
    Greenbeans.jpg

Just as their older brother kidney bean, green beans are a rich source of protein, which makes them a perfect replacement of meat for some people. Also, green beans contain fiber, vitamins A, B6, C, K, folic acid and a number of important minerals, such as Potassium, Calcium, Manganese, Iron and Copper. Green beans are simply tasty and you can add them to soups, salads, pasta or eat them alone with simple dressing.

Green beans – 1,5 pounds
    Cherry tomatoes – 6-8 pieces
    Fresh basil – handful
    Butter – 50 gr
    Water – 1,5 cup
    Garlic salt, black pepper, sugar.

Boil fresh green beans in a large pan for 10 minutes under the lid. Take another saucepan and melt the butter under low heat. Add garlic salt, pepper, sugar and basil to the melted butter. Add tomato halves into this blend and cook till they become soft. Cover the green beans with tomato mix and serve hot.

ZUCCHINI
    Zucchini.jpg

Despite its high nutritional value, zucchini is good for weight loss. Firstly, it is very low in calories, but at the same time makes you feel full. Secondly, zucchini is a rich source of water, fiber, vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, C as well as Magnesium, Manganese, Folate, Potassium, Copper, Phosphorous and Zinc. It is also full of Omega-3 fatty acids. This vegetable contains pretty much all you need to stay healthy during your weight loss diet, besides it is very tasty.

Zucchini (grated) – 4 large
    Egg - 1
    Garlic (minced) – 2 cloves
    Parmesan cheese (grated) – ¼ cup
    Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
    Flour – ¼ cup
    Salt, black pepper to taste

Mix grated zucchini with salt, leave them for 10 minutes and drain the juice using a clean towel. Next, mix zucchini with Parmesan, flour, egg, garlic and black pepper. Heat the skillet, adding little of olive oil. Take a tablespoon and start forming little fritters. Fry the fritters on both sides till they become golden brown. Serve hot or cold alone or with Greek yogurt dip.

These were just six of the healthiest and tastiest green vegetables of the bunch. And I am sure that all of you guys love many other veggies as well and have plenty of new home recipes to share. You can do it in the comments below. Choose one of the product mentioned in this article, or add any other you think is worth our attention, we'll be happy to discover new ideas and dishes. Let's stick to a healthy diet together!

#1 Kate, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    April likes this.
  2. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

I love this thread! :D Kate, you did an amazing job!!!! Love my veggies and love the recipes, new and invented in the process of cooking. Wish, everyone would share their own dietetic recipes with green veggies. Are you planning to add threads with veggies and fruits of other colors? :rolleyes: You’re bravo!!! Thank you very much!!!

Hope, our dearest forum users will join it and share their recipes and try some new, as well. A great day to everybody!

3. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks April, darling, did my best

Sure, actually I was going to continue this thread, well if people find it useful. Personally, I love cooking and love new recipes, so I hope our users will fill it up with their recipes, so we all could try them out!

Thanks for the idea, it would be great to post about other color veggies as well;)
    Come on people, join us!:)

April likes this.
  4. Mission_75

Mission_75 New Member
    Registered

How else do you guys consume kale other than smoothies and in soup ?

5. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a good question Mission_75, I'm glad you asked. Recently I've found a new recipe and already tested it. So here it is:

Sweet kale and tomato salad

Kale - 1 bunch
    Tomato - 1 large or four to six cherry tomatoes
    Sunflower seeds (or pine nuts) - 1/2 cup
    Dried cranberries - 1/2 cup
    Lemon juice, salt, pepper, olive oil

Wash and cut the kale in preferable pieces, but not too small.
    Cut the tomato in cubes and eliminate the seeds (if you like). Mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar in a bowl.
    Combine the kale, tomatoes, pine nuts, cranberries and pour the made sauce, mixing well before serving.

I hope you will like it!

Mission_75 and April like this.
  6. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Ah, Kate! What did you do???!!! Made me so hungry for this salad. Now I have to run to the market! Rrr! =)) Thanks, dear, I am sure it is delicious!

I love using Kale as a side dish. Simple recipe, with garlic. You first cook garlic in a very small amount of vegetable oil, then add kale and let it cook under the lid until it gets the way you prefer having it, more soft, or… about 7 minutes, I think. Love it with the grilled chicken breast or boiled beef. =)

Mission_75 likes this.