Too old for a mid life crisis - but much too young to die!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by leftleg, Nov 10, 2013.

1. leftleg

leftleg New Member
    Registered

Hi, I'm leftleg, 50 yo bloke currently weighing 127kg. According to most charts I'm about 1 metre short for my weight. I can't get any taller so I'll just have to try and get lighter. I'm going to sound like one of those "the older I get the better I was" guys, but I used to have it all together.

The year I turned 40 I was regularly working out at a gym in the best health I had ever been in. Then over the next four years the arse dropped out of my world. I lost my dream job which was more like a life long calling. My son died. My marriage of 22 years broke up. My dogs were put down. I bought a cheap van and the engine blew the next day. I know, it sounds a bit like a country song.

I turned to food as comfort, but I no longer worked out and the kilos piled on. I have since met a wonderful woman and started rebuilding my life. I have 3 beautiful grandsons, and my youngest daughter is with me every weekend. I am working on a short term contract until February. Even though life is once again worthwhile, it still seems that every stress draws me back to food.

So I started Duromine yesterday on the advice of my GP. I haven't noticed any side effects really except I got a heap of things done around the house. I have just returned from the supermarket with enormous bags full of fruit and vegies. Lets see where this jorney takes me.

2. G-Ma

G-Ma New Member
    Registered

Hi Leftleg, welcome aboard and happy journey. :)

3. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome, leftleg to our big family!;)
    You deserve to live a happy life after all that you've come through
    So good luck and stay motivated no matter what!

4. leftleg

leftleg New Member
    Registered

Thanks for the welcome ladies.

Day 3 today. Also my first day at work since I began taking the pills. I have made changes to my eating habits which don't seem too difficult to maintain.

My mood is a bit snappy tonight but it may not be a side effect. I am having some conflict within my extended family. I am refusing to allow myself to use food as comfort.

I have also decided that I won't play with numbers. I will weigh myself monthly only. I also refuse to count calouries. I know what food is healthy and how much I should have.

I don't need more weight loss data and education. I need motivation and determination.

5. Tash

Tash Member
    Registered

Good luck leftleg!! I wouldn't be able to manage only checking every month haha but I have a little bit of OCD :p I hope everything goes well!

6. leftleg

leftleg New Member
    Registered

Day 6 I had a major headache and joint pain last night and went to bed early. Woke up this morning with no pain but a very dry mouth. Guess I need to drink more water.

I have managed to go for 20 minute walks at lunch. I am only eating meat once a day now. All other meals are fruit, vegetables, or cereal.

I would love a beer or bourbon & coke. But I'm sticking to coke zero. My clothes don't feel so tight but it could be my imagination at this early stage.

7. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Could be this, or could be the water that comes off your body within the first days of your weight loss therapy. It also shows up in the scales numbers. But you promissed to weigh yourself once a month, right?;)

8. leftleg

leftleg New Member
    Registered

Kate, I don't have scales so monthly weigh ins will be during doctor visits. Though I am tempted to take some measurements.

Btw what happens if I drink alcohol while taking duromine? I am having an extremely stressful time with some personal stuff. I don't want to binge on food.

9. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi, leftleg.
    Your question about alcohol & Duromine is not new. I used to explain it to one of our users. So not to repeat myself, here is the reply:
    "...I agree that a glass of good wine helps sometimes to relax after a long and stressful day. However I should warn you (since I myself had an experience with Duromine) that alcohol may worsen the side effect. Of course a small amount of it will not be fatal when combined with the pills, yet may intensify dizziness, nausea, palpitation, etc. You see both Duromine and alcohol are stimulants, they act in the central nervous system. When you use them together, side effect may become worse. For instance: nervousness, dry mouth, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, etc. Or if you haven't experienced any side effects yet, they can occur if you drink alcohol and take Duromine pill.
    So, my opinion - better avoid this combination.
    Better safe than sorry, right?"

If you have more questions or you have some free time, you may read THIS page;)
    Take care, leftleg!

#9 Kate, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Sallie alexander likes this.
  10. leftleg

leftleg New Member
    Registered

Thanks for the reply Kate. I have decided that I will keep alcohol for celebration rather than stress relief.
    Today is day 16 for me. I have only had one day of side effects thanks to reading the tips about drinking water.

We were looking after our grandkids last night. My wife automatically scraped their leftovers onto my plate. Stupidly, I finished them. I felt ill afterwards, like I had massively over eaten. My wife tells me that she can notice a difference in my appearance. I have not told her or anyone else that I am taking duromine because I don't want lectures from people about diet pills.

I feel really good about my efforts so far but I am wondering how much of it is the drug and how much is me. I have always said that if I could turn off my appetite I wouldn't need to eat. I am now eating much less than I used to and do not crave food. I am able to say no to treats when they are offered to me. I have introduced more vegetables and fruits into my diet. I guess my concern is that I might go back to old habits when I stop the medication.

Sallie alexander and Kate like this.
  11. Tash

Tash Member
    Registered

Hey leftleg The whole point of taking duromine is to train your body into healthy eating without hunger and craving get in the way. Your body takes a minimum of 28 days for something to become "habbit". So all you have to do is to keep eating healthy and when you do come off the pills your body will be used to that way of eating and with a little bit of concentration you should be able to keep up the progress on your own. :)

These pills aren't a miracle drug but they are motivation. They help you to become the best you can be and as long as you do the hard work they will work for you.

Sallie alexander and Kate like this.
  12. leftleg

leftleg New Member
    Registered

Thanks Tash. I'm now in my 4th week. I will weigh myself this weekend. I am already fitting into clothes that I wore several years ago.

I really appreciate not craving junk food. These days I snack on fruit. My initial energy burst has gone. But it does seem easier to mow the lawn now.

I'm looking for some ideas for weight loss rewards. Most suggestions seem to be aimed at women. I really don't want new clothes yet. But I have no desire for jewellry or a manicure. Any ideas folks?