The pirates diary

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Pirate, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Ok, so took my first pill this morning, about an hour ago.
    So far nothing much has happened. I've eaten some breakfast. My Dr told me yesterday that I wasn't eating anywhere near enough protein, I've been eating a mostly vegetarian diet over the past year, she suggested I go back to eating meat at least while I'm trying to lose weight as the protein will help build lean muscle mass and also give me better energy levels. So this morning instead of my usual oats I had shaved chicken breast, a little avo and some spinach on a mountain bread wrap and a cup of green tea.
    She also wants me to monitor my blood pressure as it's a little high, it's still high but I'm really hoping it calms down over the next couple of days, I'd hate that to get in my way! I'm hoping with a bit of exercise and no alcohol and maybe a bit of meditation it will go back to a normal range.
    On the plus side I don't feel weird at all, and I'm not hungry, though I have eaten.
    Also I weighed myself this morning, on Dr's scales yesterday I was 88.3kgs, this morning on mine I was 85.7kgs. I like mine better, so for this weeks weigh in I'll go off my scales cause I won't see her again for couple of weeks, unless my blood pressure goes nuts...

2. Duro-Me

Duro-Me New Member
    Registered

Hi Pirate,
    Good luck on your journey! :)
    I am on day 2 today. Yesterday was pretty normal really, not much change that I noticed, a little spacey/tired but nothing major. I noticed a little bit of chest pain, that initially I worried was due to the pills, but I do tend to get it a lot anyway as I have big boobies and they cause me a bit of pain, so I am more convinced it is just from them.
    I had hoped for a spike in my energy as I am partly as big as I am because I am so lethargic all the time, but in saying that I have been a bit better so hopefully it will continue to improve.
    Look forward to seeing how you get on with them, sounds like you have a good mind frame and I am sure you will do a great job!
    Oh and I have two sets of scales here and they both give me completely different numbers depending on which part of the room they are in or just how they are feeling at the time, the most temperamental is the electric scale that will add up to 5kg some days others take off 2kg. I recommend using good old manual scales.

Keep updating, lots of people here seem to just stop after a little while and you get left wondering if its worked or not :p

3. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Ok, end of day 1. I have felt pretty positive all day, I haven't been terribly hungry, have probably had close to 1000 calories, about 2.5 ltrs of water. I ate what I would normally eat just a fair bit less. And I ate a bit of red meat with dinner.

I'm a bit disappointed to be eating meat again, but I'm turning 40 in 6 months and I'm going to look good, one of my best friends will be 40 in January, there will be photos taken at her party and I just want to smile with my friend and not be uncomfortable. Anyway, I'll do what I need to do to lose the weight and go back to mostly vegetarian again after.

Back to today, defiantly less hungry, didn't feel "speedy" but did seem to have a little more energy, didn't get the 3 o'clock slump today. But it could be because I'm so pleased and positive to have started this journey. Unfortunately my blood pressure is still a bit high... I'm really hoping it calms down, I don't feel unwell from it, but I am conscious of it. I'm supposed to take my blood pressure 6times a day for 5 days and then report back to my Dr. I do think that focussing on it so much isn't helping, but I do understand how important it is. But I so want to get a month or two out of this to give me a good kick start..

I'll see how I go tomorrow.

Cheers!

4. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

Hi Pirate, I had the same thing with the doctor scales and my scales being different! I decided to go by the weight on my scales even though it is higher. Purely because I will only be seeing the doctor after four weeks and want to keep track of my weight. I'm really excited to hear how your side effects and weight loss goes as we have started around the same time.

Sierra.

5. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Hi sierra,
    Me too, it's nice to have a couple of us all starting within a coupe of days of each other.
    I'm pleased to say that I just took blood pressure again and it was perfect! I hope that's a sign of it evening itself out.
    Also, though I'm awake now, it's 2am, I have had some good sleep tonight, I often wake up at about 2, I'm not a great sleeper anyway. Part of me is tempted to weigh myself, but I won't, it hasn't even been 24 hrs! Lol! I'm going to try and leave it for at least a few days, how often will you weigh in?

6. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

Hi Pirate, it's 1:31AM for me and i still haven't slept. My sleeping pattern is all over the place. I feel really tired and sleepy around 5pm and purposely don't sleep, then 10pm comes around and im not in the slightest tired! I think I need to start doing some extra exercise or something. I'm a hit annoyed with my new scales, but I'm sticking with them. Weighed myself this evening and was 300 grams less, they're my new toy. I think I'll weigh every second day im all exciting and want to weigh every day though!

Lovely to hear from you, it's great to talking to someone else whose going through the same process!

Sierra.

7. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Morning! Welcome to day 2! I'm pretty chipper as my blood pressure seems to be coming down a bit, it was pretty close to normal this morning. I had my tablet at about 6 and got up, had a little brekky, same as yesterday. I'm missing my oats and I think I'll go back to them, I am just so conscious now of my protein and iron levels, Dr wants me to try and aim for 80 grms of protein a day. That's a lot!! Anyway, chicken and spinach wrap for breakfast and a cup of tea.
    My energy levels are good, again nothing crazy, I'm not racing around or anything but feel good, ready to get on with the day.
    I'm not hungry but I have eaten and I've no other side effects to speak of.
    I resisted the urge to weigh myself, I'll give it at least a few days.
    I am feeling really good about what I'm eating, what I'm not drinking (lol) and really looking forward to my new gym opening early next week so I can get my lardy arse moving again!

8. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

End of day 2.

Had a low level headache for most of the day, but it was completely bearable. My energy levels are definitely up a bit, I'm able to get going easier in the morning. Both mornings I've been ready for work with time to get some washing on and clean the kitchen up, this morning I even had time to pick the kids toys up as well. But at the same time I am really not feeling speedy, just like I can get up and start the,day. Huge bonus!

I ate well again today, had a wrap for lunch, had to leave work early as my poor daughter was waiting for me in sick bay. Poor monkey. She had told me she wasn't well, but I had to go to work this morning, so she went to school, I went to work and an hour and a half later I came home again. But I did what I had to do at work and was able to arrange things for me to be absent in the afternoon so all good. Working and mothering is a constant juggling act! I came home made her some chicken and corn soup, I had a banana for a snack at about 4, then had some of the soup for dinner around 6. I wasn't really hungry, but I was tired. The kids both went to their Dads place tonight, I got really tired around 5pm, so I had my dinner and was in bed by 7, had a sleep then woke up around 10ish.

I have also worked out that my blood pressure seems to spike a bit in the afternoons/early evening so if I put off taking it until later it starts to look a lot more normal. It was ok first thing this morning and fine when I took it tonight at 10, but at 6pm it wasn't great. I've started taking Hawthorn and magnesium today, they are both supposed to be really good for blood pressure, so hopefully that will start to show in the next couple of days. I really want to stay onDuromine for a month or two.

That's about all from me today, I will weigh in on Sunday morning and again on Thursday morning. I can't wait a whole week! Also, new gym opens on Monday, so will get into that next week too!

9. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

Hi Pirate,

Great to hear your progressing. I seem to get really tired around 5pm too but I resist the temptation to sleep and usually come good. Hope your blood pressure stays at bay :)

Sierra.

10. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Day 3.

That was yesterday, busy day. Felt pretty good all day. Ate well, delicious healthy things. Am eating what I would normally eat, except I'm adding meat to it (for the protein and iron) and am eating less. Drinking between 2-3 ltrs water each day. I did go out last night, birthday party, lots of alcohol and nibbles, I had 1 drink and very little of the food, even though it was good, it's just been easier to realise I don't need it, didn't feel deprived. Had had a smallish dinner before I went and just want that hungry.
    Blood pressure a little high still but not outrageous and the pattern seems to be lowering.

Today is day 4.

SW 85.7
    CW 84.5
    GW 72

1.2 kgs in 3 days, I'm not counting today because it's so early. I'm pleased that the numbers are going down, just hope it keeps going now, it'll be interesting to see what happens when I start throwing exercise onto the mix as well!.

11. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

Hi Pirate,

Sounds like you're making really good progress. I found I slept a lot better last night after spending the day doing housework. I think it's considered exercise :)

Hope you're enjoying your weekend and feeling well.

12. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

This is the end of day 5.

Generally going well, have been a bit tetchy this evening but not uncommon for a Monday, a low level headache again today, didn't bother with panadol, blood pressure still a little high but I know if i take it again in an hour it well be ok, I've just got the kids to bed with the whole "clean your teeth, stop arguing with your sister, no you can't have another yoghurt, don't do that to the cat" routine, I'm sure my blood pressure was always a bit high after that!
    Still got a good amount of energy, the house hasn't been this tidy for a long time!
    The gym was supposed to open today but hasn't yet, I'm sure it will be this week sometime, really looking forward to that.
    I'm eating about 1000 calories per day and aiming for about 2.5ltrs water per day.
    Will weigh in again on thurs as that will be end of week one. Hard to say what that will show, I'm feeling pretty good but I think it's just because I'm so conscious of the calories I'm not consuming I feel like I should be losing heaps, for every glass of wine I don't drink I feel I should lose weight.
    Sleeping pretty well.

13. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

How are you doing pirate? :)

14. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Hi,

I've been doing pretty well, lost 2 kgs in my first week, really pleased. New gym opened the other day, I started yesterday, will go most days. I think my blood pressure is still a little high but other than that I'm not experiencing any bad side effects.
    I will start posting weekly from now on, just to give updates on weight loss. Will let you know if blood pressure continues to be an issue and I stop taking Duromine. It feels really good to have started to lose the weight now, I know I'll keep at it even without the D, it does make it easier to choose not to eat crap, or eat too much so hopefully I'll be able to stick with it for a month or two.

Thanks, I'll update in about a week.

Cheers!

15. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Hi,
    So I lost 2kgs in week one, this week I have gained 300 grams, not sure how. I've eaten really well, no crap. Been to the gym 5 days out of the last 7. It's not muscle weight either I've really only done cardio.
    I do think that I lost alot of fluid in that first week and so my body is just evening out.
    I do feel less bloated, and people have commented on my looking good in the last couple of days. I feel like I look better than I did last week, but for me the scales aren't showing it this week. Hope to have better numbers next week.
    Wish me luck!!

16. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

Hi Pirate,

So glad to hear your doing well. Don't let the numbers get you down!

Sierra.

17. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Hi,

So about 10 days ago, maybe a few more, I has to stop taking D. Blood pressure was too high. I could feel it, it was pretty unpleasant and a little scary. I'm still going to the gym a couple of times a week and watching what I eat and drink.
    My weight will come off, I just have to do it the regular "eat less move more" way.
    And if it takes a little longer that's better than having a heart attack.

Good luck everyone!! And if Duromine doesn't work for you for whatever reason, don't give up!