Support for those of 'mature' age

Discussion in 'Age 50+' started by not2oldyet, Oct 28, 2013.

1. not2oldyet

not2oldyet New Member
    Registered

At the not so youthful age of 60, I have struggled with weight issues all my life. However, after a cycling accident 3 years ago, the weight has piled on and I absolutely LOATH my body and what I look like. I have a wardrobe of beautiful clothes that I cannot fit into, and the last straw was having to buy a larger bra 2 weeks ago. Early this year I went to a doctor who totally demoralised me by saying that 'you should learn to accept it - putting on weight is just part of getting old'. If anything, his attitude only led me to put on MORE weight. But finally, after becoming so upset at trying to find comfortable bras, I said 'enough is enough' and went to a new GP who listened to me and strongly suggested I try Duromine. I did my research and just as there are some side affects with any medication, I know I have to give this a go. It is either this track, or go on anti-depressants. And it is far better to work on the cause rather than the result.
    What surprises me is the large number of young people on this forum - are there any older, more mature people who have used Duromine? I would love to know their experience, and story. Being overweight does not stop as you get older - in fact, it gets worse. My weight sky rocketed as soon as I hit menopause, thus my exercise regime. But one fall off the rung (my accident) and I have put on nearly 20 kgs. And I HATE it, I LOATH it. I am lucky to still be working in a job I love, but every year have to have a medical. My last medical was a warning bell, and my job could be in jeopardy if I cannot get this weight under control.
    I have taken the week off to start my regime, so if any side affects do come on, I will be in a better place to handle it. I have totally cleared out my cupboards - anything remotely on the temptation list was chucked straight in the bin. Part of me was saying 'don't throw out perfectly good food - look at the money you are wasting' - but that is my loss. I don't want any wrong foods even in the house. I will concentrate on good healthy food- yoghurt, fruit, cereal, vegetables, fish, and drinking more water.
    So far, have only had a slight headache, but that could be a by product of cutting out sugar - my main drug. I have come to hate food - you cannot give it totally like alcohol or drugs - and trying to constantly eat the right food is not easy.
    Something clicked inside me this time and I am determined to succeed. I wear a uniform and I have already bought 1 pair of large size pants- I WON'T do that again, as they have to be specially ordered in.
    I would love to hear from any 'mature age' people out there. Being over-weight is not jut a problem for the young ones. I recently bought a Health & fitness Magazine and was disgusted that the whole magazine seemed to be a 'Dolly' clone - all pictures were of pre teen girls, rarely with even breasts, let alone any weight issues. I doubt there was one picture of any person over 25. There is a huge amount of discrimination against older people as it is (and by that I mean anyone over 40!) - and just because we get older does not mean that we should accept getting fatter (and staying that way).

Christina and Em84 like this.
  2. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello, not2oldyet!

My name is Kate and I'm 51.
    I had my experience with duromine a couple of years ago. To be more specific 3 years ago. My story was beginning similar to most of overweight ladies - postbirth obesity. I have two kids (well not kids anymore but grownups)) and I had never been worried about my weight, until I started feeling different disorders (hard walking, dyspnea, fatigue, even depression). I saw how people were looking at me, saw their judgement in their eyes...one thing to another I realized I had to do something about my weight problem when I was 45. Of course I was thinking first that I could handle it on my own. Tried different diets, nothing helped. I managed to lose a couple kilos and then gained them back.
    My doc told me it was pretty normal (like you said) to gain weight with age, plus I never managed to lose after birth. But this wasn't the thing I would put up with, no way. I went to another doc, so she recommended to try duromine. I had a lot of extra weight, but she gave me 15mg to start with. To see if I had any side effects. And she warned me: that I had to change my whole life style, to throw away all the junk foods, start exercising little by little and change my daily regime completely. So I had plenty of patience, since this was very serious to me.

First I didn't tell anything to my family, just tried to get up earlier than before to take my pill, then made some healthy meal boxes for me for the whole day. It was very hard I must say! My body didn't want to get used to this new regime. After that I usually had my breakfast. Searched some recipes on the Internet to make different meals. Made a list of meals, so that I could see what I must eat on Monday, Tuesday, etc. It helped, because I needed a discipline not to jump off my diet plan. Besides it was harder, because my husband and younger son would not eat the same as me. So I had to cook for myself separately.

During the first month I lost only 4 kgs, which was a pretty good start, yet I still had lots to lose. I started with walking, 40-45 minutes outside in the park. Took some music and it helped to keep my pace. The energy was fantastic I must say! The second month I decided not to weigh myself and see what happens. I was doing the same - early wake ups, cooking, cleaning the house, work, walking in the evening (added some yoga and stretching), dinner and sleep.Of course I had some side effects, but my confidence was higher than my fear.

Soon I got used to my regime and liked how I was feeling myself. I lost another 10 kgs during this period. How happy I was! Sometimes it was difficult to see all that food at parties and BBQ, but I just sticked to vegetables and meat. No sauses, no bread and pasta. Was strict to myself. Three months later my doc told me she was impressed - my metabolism worked well, I was progressing.

In general my weight loss took almost two years, I mean the main weight loss. And I lost almost 50 kgs for 18 months! Incredible, with little steps I came to my goal. The good thing was that I managed to keep my weight even after I stopped the pills. I always say that you got to train your body, to exercise. Better in gym, perfectly - with personal coach. I did. And thanks to him, my discipline was high and I new that I had to do all those exercises to keep my body toned.

After all these years of incredible struggle, I am trying to keep my eating behavior stable and I enjoy attending gym, just supporting programs, yoga, stretch, pilates. I know it's a matter of money for lots of people, but you can always call your girls and make some home yoga - fun and good for your body.
    Well, don't want to bore you with my long story....lots of detailes to tell. All in all, I never say weight loss is an easy task and all you need is just Duromine. On contrary it's a hard work and great change for the body!

ps. I think you can lose as much weight as you need/want, and you did well "clearing out your cupboards", because this is a start, a good start. Once there is no junk and provocative food in your house, you will get used to eat healthy much faster and easier. Good luck to you and write me if you have any questions, I would love to help you!

Kate

TeeDee67 and Christina like this.
  3. Scribbles

Scribbles Active Member
    Registered

I'm Sharon and I'm 55 (alright 55 and 1/2). Glad to see some more "mature" people here! I've only been going 8 days so I'm relatively new.

Christina likes this.
  4. Christina

Christina New Member
    Registered

Hi im christina 52 and trying to "shift" weight while on ten hr night shifts 5- 6 times a week.and going through menopause. I feel my hot and sweaty episodes seem worst since starting the duromine begining of this month. Does it get any easier

5. CosmoBrown

CosmoBrown New Member
    Registered

Hi guys I'm 47 and I've been seriously overweight 108kgs 165cms for about 5 years now. I've lost over 10 kilos in the last month and I'm feeling really great.
    Of course it's much harder to lose weight as we get older and I've noticed all those old tricks I used in my 20's and 30's to lose weight fast or effectively no longer work for me. Also the rewards of exercise are much harder to achieve now. When I was 28 and a size 10 I could walks 5kms and my bum would be higher and my stomach flatter almost instantly. Now it makes no immediate difference
    But rather than getting down about it I've decided to just throw out all I have known about weight loss ( let's face it our generation can tell you the calorie content of almost anything) and start again
    Firstly by liking myself. Secondly by never comparing my body to YOUNGER women. Thirdly by accepting that this weight loss will likely take 2 years, there are no quick fixes after 40 and lastly remembering that I won't ever be size 10 and 28 again but then I was an idiot at 28. So who cares, I like who I am now, she's really smart and funny and nice and confident, okay she has more junk in the trunk, but I can deal with that. I want at 47 to lose weight consciously but without falling victim to all that crap when we are young about being skinny because that's the only way to be attractive or feel young and desirable. I'm hot! As I'm sure you girls are too! I just want to be able to run around after future grand kids and walk through Greek ruins on holidays without puffing. To have loads of energy to walk the Carmino Del Santiago and enjoy the best years of my life.
    Wishing everyone here a great and healthy journey full of self love xxx

Louise Kaye, April and sooty like this.
  6. Josephine vella

Josephine vella New Member
    Registered

Hi, I'm also 60, went through menapause last year, and have gained a lot of weight, im good on and off with diet and exercise, tried weight watchers lost 6 kgs but put it back on and more. Its a lifestyle, not a diet, the min u start eating anything that's not good and bigger portions and stop exercising you pile it on again and more especially now that I'm older, in 1999 I lost around 13 kilos in 6 months on weight watchers but I find I don't have the will power anymore. Ive just started durimine today and keeping away from junk and sweets are my weakness, I feel a little light headed I think it's withdrawals from not having any sweets . Im on lower dose for my first month then I'll go back there gp to see progress. My gp had no problem prescribing me the meds, as my bmi is 33 which is classed as obese, although I'm still in size 12, but uncomfortable, like you I have a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes that I can't fit into as they're size 10, I just want yo loose enough to get back into them comfortably, it depresses me when I dress and everything is too tight m my goal weight is 55 kgs, its achievable if I commit myself and stick to it, at 104.00 I think I should give it my best shot. I still have lots of goodies in pantry as my 5 grandkids come and I like to have things for them, I need to stay strong and not be tempted as there is temptation everywhere you go, going on a 6 week holiday to Europe in sept, so need to be strong and say no and stay without. Did it before have to do it again. Good luck

7. ellemac72

ellemac72 Active Member
    Registered

Thank you sooooo much for sharing this with us. I've just turned 45 and I'm making some serious changes, very similar to yours actually. This post has inspired me no end and I'm sure I'll come back to it again and again to keep me motivated. One thing I've been thinking about is getting a personal trainer to keep pushing and motivating me. The thing is, I just feel so unhappy with my body that I don't want to "be seen" at the gym. I live in a small town so I'm bound to run into somebody I don't want seeing me in this state. At present I'm working out at home so I don't feel so embarrassed when I finally do walk into that gym. I'm just wondering if you could tell me at what stage in your weight loss journey did you hire a trainer? Thanks in advance.

April likes this.
  8. 154

154 New Member
    Registered

Its great to hear everyones stories and to feel that one way or another we're in the same boat. Im 48, and have always struggled with my weight but put on loads after I started having my three kids. My children r still quite young, our little fella is 6yrs - so since we started late I feel a particular responsibility to get healthy for myself and my family. Nov 8th I weighed in at 120kgs and I was desperate. For four yrs a friend and I were periodically trying to lose weight, and while at one point i lost 15kg input it all, and more, back on. Ive been on duromine for almost 3 months and it has been just the kick start I needed. I've lost 25 kg so far, and from the day I started taking it I completely changed my lifestyle as far as food and exercise goes. I now walk an hour daily, swim 1 km most days, have cut right back on the amount I eat, and have cut out sugary and processed foods. Incredibly because duromine took away my sugar cravings and gave me more energy it hasnt felt too hard.

Bit probably most importantly I was desperate and that made me highly motivated. I am convinced that at whatever age we can lose the fat and regain our wellbeing, and bit by bit make the changes needed to maintain the losses. I hope we can all take full advantage of the kick start duromine provides, and enjoy our new healthy lives. We deserve it!

9. Shazza1956

Shazza1956 New Member
    Registered

Hi everyone well at 63 and overweight I think I am in the right place lol I am 5.5, and 2 days ago when I started Duromine I was 87.5 kgs. I have been down this road before but like many I had no real plan and I guess subconsciously I was disappointed with myself for having to resort to taking a pill to lose weight. I am a pretty strong willed person and always have been, basically when I put my mind to anything I will and have achieved it. I have been through child birth x 4, divorce & separations x 3 as well as endured the death of a child (adult) for the most I am very successful in my career and have a great relationship with family & friends. But for the life of me the one thing I can’t get on top of and bests me is my weight. Like many others in my younger days I could eat and drink what I liked then later 40s just go on a protein shake for a couple of days and weight magically disappeared. Recently I returned from a cruise Say no more then religiously went on Keto for 2 months no sugar no alcohol but sadly nothing... not 1 ounce.. so clearly what works for some does not work for everyone. I love my body but dislike being overweight immensly for all the same reasons as many appearance, joint pain, health etc so I have now bit the bullet and had to admit to myself..I just can’t do it by myself, well initially anyway which is pretty hard for my type of personality - I went to my Dr had a bit of a sook - so she has ordered a series of blood test etc and now placed me on Duromine for 3 months.
    So now I have got to make this work... Last 2 days not hungry at all so forced myself to eat last night and will ensure I try & eat 3 small healthy meals.. I come from an era of calorie counting gurus and therefore less was best so tend to be quite happy not eating till around lunch time or later..think they call that intermittent fasting these days lol Anyway nice to find you all and will look forward to tips and advice will post as as I go down this new path. Thanks everyone and good luck

Rava and Iwannabethin68 like this.
  10. Dre

Dre Active Member
    Registered

hello shazza 1956
    nice to meet you!
    stay strong, it sounds like you are in need of some Magic in your life,
    since i found Duromine my life has become amazing and full of wonder,
    i am sure yours will too my darling..

you are among friends here and remember,
    when we are happy with our weight, we are happy!

Hugs
    Dre

11. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi @Shazza1956 and welcome to the forums!

Don't be disappointed in yourself in resorting to "a pill to lose weight". Honestly, I think you are being too hard on yourself *hugs*. Think of it more as a tool, that allows you to focus on what you need to get done. If you are an accountant and consistently need to add up numbers, are you going to do it all in your head? or will you buy yourself the calculator that will allow you to accomplish your job in half the time?

Think of Duromine as a tool that allows you to change your eating habits to more healthier ones, gets you more motivated to implement exercise and allows you to focus on the lifestyle changes you want to make.

You've got this! I really look forward in reading more of your story, so I hope you keep updating this thread here, or in start another one in "My Experince with Duromine" or even on the enter in the "Blog" side of things.

I cant wait to read more!

You got this :)

12. Shazza1956

Shazza1956 New Member
    Registered

Thanks Rava I am on my way once I figure out how to use this site properly lol

Rava likes this.
  13. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you need any help @Shazza1956 - just message away :)

14. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Shazza1956 how have you been these past few days?

Are you experiencing any side effects?

Hope you check back in and update as I would love to know how you have been this week :)