Started Duromine my journey to weightloss...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KimberleyBee, Mar 5, 2012.

1. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

Hey everyone, I'm Kimberley (24) I started taking Duromine 3 days ago at the advice of my doctor. The beau line in both of my feet have snapped (this is what makes your foot arch up and down when you walk/run). My doctor explained that putting on 28kgs over the last three years (previously I was 67kgs) has played a massive part to the pain in my feet. He said that I need to loose 25kgs as fast as I can to help the pain ease as I am carrying too much weight.
    I haven't weighed myself since taking Duromine, I will wait until 7 days has passed. So far I am full of energy, motivated and excited about this journey. The only side effects I have noticed is a dry mouth (which makes me constantly need to drink water - which I guess is a good thing, and it's harder to sleep at night e.g I woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep).
    I am eating probably a 1/3 of what I was eating before and have a craving for fresh fruit and veges. My weight before starting on Duromine was 95.4kgs can't wait to weigh myself again :)
    My doctor has given me 30 tablets (which cost me $75nzd) I will visit him in a month and see where to next.....
    Thanks for all the feedback I felt a bit like a failure having to turn to diet pills as my only option but it's good to know there are so many others who are in the same situation.

2. Cass11

Cass11 New Member
    Registered

Hi Kimberley,

Welcome to the forum! I am similiar to you - I'm 25 and 86kgs. This is my fifth day on duromine. I started to weight myself on the first and second days but realised it was too unrealistic to weight myself that often, and I wanted to be pleasantly surprised at the end of 7 days. So good on you for holding out to weigh yourself! I know you feel like a failure - I look at my friends and family and think how come you eat what you eat and don't put on weight? But everyone is different. And hey, at least we're doing something about it and giving it a go, right? All the best with it and I look forward to sharing stories with you :)

3. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

Yeah I didn't wanted to weigh myself earlier than 7 days just in case I was disappointed with the result. My husband can eat anything he likes and won't put on any weight at all, which is hard for me because it means he buys a lot of takeaways. And you are so right at least we are doing something about it now. Today is my 4th day and I almost forgot to stop and eat at lunch time because I wasn't hungry. I love the energy I have now too it's great not feeling horrible about my weight so much. Have you had any side effects from using it yet?

4. Cass11

Cass11 New Member
    Registered

I barely slept on the first night, but that has now eased into 5 hours the next night, and the last two nights I have slept a restless, but good, 8 hours. I have dry mouth like others, but that is easily manageable. I've had a few headaches but again a couple of Advil and i'm ok. How are you going, any side effects?

5. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

Yeah pretty much same side effects, I have a really dry mouth but I find that drinking lots of water and chewing gum helps. Sleep is bit up and down i wake up a lot at night but don't feel tired during the day. headaches usually in the afternoon, but I feel fine. Are you exercising? I haven't started exercising yet I wanted to wait after week one just to see how much I could loose and then I can kinda gauge how much exercise I should be doing.

6. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

Day 5 I feel way more normal again today, the 'buzz' I get has slowed down, no head ache today and had an awesome deep sleep last night. Not hungry at all which is good. I had 8 people over last night and I felt really spaced out, was a weird feeling, especially when everyone was talking at once. But totally fine today :)
    My eating pretty much goes like this:

Breakfast: Muesli and Milk (small bowl)
    Lunch: fresh watermelon or other fresh fruit or a protein shake
    Dinner: a really small dinner of meat and veges (I find having a plate that has correct portion sizes printed on it on it has helped heaps!)
    Can't wait, two more days til weigh in! wohoo

7. Whabbly

Whabbly New Member
    Registered

I have started taking Duromine 30mg on Monday 05 March 2012. Have a total of 36kg to loose, which feels like a mountain that lies in front of me, but I am determined to do it. I take the tablet every morning just as I wake up, which is normally 4:05am, hoping that this will give it a long enough time to work out when it is bed time, but to no avail. I battle to sleep!!!!!!!, but when I do fall asleep I am "dead". Haven't weighed myself yet since starting to take the tablets, will leave that for next Monday morning - Oh please let me have lost something!!!!! Although I am the only one in the house using the tablets, my husband started eating healthy with me, so this is a bonus, and I have a lot of support from him. Just wondering if eating Wheat Bix, watermelon and baby melons are the correct thing to do? And is there any other foods (like rice, potato etc.) that I should avoid?

8. Cass11

Cass11 New Member
    Registered

Hi Kimberley,

In answer to your previous question, yes I am exercising. I do 30-60 minutes 5-6 times a week. This will range from walking to cardio and weights. I figure that if I am paying what I am for the tablets, I had better make it worth my time and money. Plus, when the tablets are gone, I want to be able to enjoy exercise and eating healthy so I can maintain my weight on my own :) I hope your weigh in goes well!

Hi Whabbly,

Good luck! I am on day 6 currently. Weighing myself on Saturday to see what 7 days have done. Hoping for a good result too! I think we all need a good loss in the first week to keep us motivated and to realise doing all this is worthwhile! I hope your sleeping patterns improve. Mine were bad in the first three days - barely slept a wink, and then a few more hours each night. Now I get a great sleep, just waking up to go to the bathroom after drinking 3+ litres of water a day. I'd say your sleep will start to get better as you go on :)

I can't say what you should or shouldn't eat, but I am trying to avoid carbs, but if I do have them it is never at night as it is harder for the body to process them. I eat healthy and use an app on my iphone to track my calories and exercise, and am trying to keep them to a low amount. Will see if it is working for me this weekend when I weigh in!

All the best!

9. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

I'm the same as Cass11, cutting out pretty much all carbs (like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc). I began with sleepless nights but I have found that after day 5 my body has totally gone back to normal apart from not wanting to eat and the dry mouth is still there. Today (day 6) I was so busy at university I forgot to have lunch, wasn't hungry but got home late so topped off and bought a chicken salad (even though I wasn't hungry I knew my body needed refueling). It was quite a big salad so I ate half and will eat the other half tomorrow.
    I am weighing in tomorrow afternoon and I am nervous, excited and anxious. Praying that I will loose a decent amount so I can keep going. Yeah weetbix is a good option and melon will help keep you hydrated, probably towards the end of the course of pills you'd want to try eat 3 kind of normal but small meals so that when you come off the pills you won't feel like you are starving, eg: breakfast weetbix, lunch: Chicken or Tuna Salad, Dinner: Meat and vegies and maybe some fruit for a snack. Just remember to keep your portions small and you will be fine, if you find this hard try eating off a smaller plate. Good luck for your weigh in and I really hope you get some sleep soon.
    Can't wait to weigh in tomorrow :) will post my results then.

10. Whabbly

Whabbly New Member
    Registered

Day 4 -

Still no sleeping for me, but getting used to that now. Maybe I should have taken Duromine last year after my baby was born when I had to get up at night lol;). Still have mild headaches, but they seem to subside a little, thank goodness. Thank you for the advice on what to eat, yes, I have totally cut all carb intake like rice, potatoes and bread, which was my favorite food of all times, and I must honestly say, I don't crave it as much as I thought I would have. 3 more days before weigh in, I can't wait. I am so sad that I didn't take my cm's before I started with the program, but i will definetally do it at the weigh in to see the difference. What i do love about the pills is the energy, even without any sleep I feel good.
    Back to work now hope eveyone has a lovely day.

Pixiepollen likes this.
  11. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

Hi guys,
    Well it was weigh in day today as it is day 7 of Duromine and I must say that I was left really disappointed! I have only lost 2.1kgs :( I was expecting at least 4kgs would have gone, but no :( I was so upset I can't believe it was just 2.1kgs, I have been reading story after story about these people who have lost 5kgs-7kgs in the first week and was convinced this would be me too. My family have said that I should be really happy with any weight I loose but I can't help feeling really let down. I have only had water over the past 7 days, fruit, veges, natural muesli and a little bit of meat. I have had such small amounts and have not had any carbs, I'm really lost for words, I really needed a big lose like all these other people to kick start my motivation but I feel like I've wasted $75. I know I will get over it tomorrow and continue with the pills and the small meals (of only fruit, vege and lean meat). Just doesn't seem like much at all. Anyway, tomorrow is a new day and by incorporating daily exercise and healthy small meals along with duromine hopefully I will loose more next week. Someone suggested that my meals may be too small and my body is in starvation mode and trying to store more fat becaused I skipped a couple of meals, but I dont know. Oh well will try add more protein this week, and I guess 2kgs lighter is better than nothing at all....I hope you all have much more success than I did and loose lots of weight this week :)

Start weight: 95.4kgs
    Current weight: 93.3kgs
    Goal weight: 70kgs

12. Whabbly

Whabbly New Member
    Registered

You know, the weight started packing on at a 2kg here and a 1kg there to make up for the total "overweight" package, so to loose 2kg per week is better than nothing, and loosing smaller amounts is "safer" in the long run or so I am told. Well done on loosing the 2kg's, keep it up:;)

Pixiepollen likes this.
  13. magenta19

magenta19 New Member
    Registered

I am on day 5 of duramine 15mg, and I've only lost about 2 kg too. I have become hungry again since day 3, and I have been eating such small healthy meals I am unsure as to why this isn't working as planned. I have been doing strenuous excerise too. would you recommend going back and getting 30mg?

I am disappointed too :( I am on my period though unless that impacts things :(

14. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

I am on the 30mg one now and only lost 2kg. I have no idea either as to why others have such higher kg weight loss results and I don't. I also became hungry again today before lunch time and it lasted until dinner time. I only had a small amount of chicken breast and pumpkin for dinner so will see what happens next weigh in. I haven't got my period at the moment so really unsure. If next weeks results are the same I might go back to my doctor and ask him why. I haven't done any exercise yet so will start tomorrow and do 30-40mins/day and see if this helps and I will try to drink more water too.
    I was hoping to loose at least 10kgs after the 30days then I will still have 15kgs to go :/ I have no idea what I am doing wrong. The other lady that posted that said she had lost 5.5kgs in the first week also ate mc donalds and drank coke too. I haven't had even 1 bad thing and didn't even loose half of that.

15. nblair91

nblair91 New Member
    Registered

Hi kimberley.. Well done on your 2 kg weight loss, it may seem like a disapointment, but it is way better then gaining a couple kilos. My dad is a truck driver at a mine in Aus and hes on duromine aswel and hes lost 15 kgs in 2 months, so that works out to be less then 2 kgs a week and he does next to no excercise... 2 kgs may seem little, but if you keep adding those kilos shed a week, im sure you will pleased with your hard working results.. Stay strong and positive :)

Pixiepollen and Imogen.90 like this.
  16. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

Yeah you are absolutely right nblair91, I guess I just thought it would be more. But today waking up I am happier I am two kgs lighter, I picked up a 1kg bag of sugar just to see how heavy it was and it is a good amount loosing 2 of those. Aiming for 10kgs by the end of this month, which is 2.5kg/week but will be happy with any weight loss now, and 15kgs in two months is awesome and when I do add it up it will be way better. Thanks for the support it is really encouraging. I guess it has taken me 3.5years to pack all this weight on so to loose two kgs of it in a week is good.
    22.9kgs to go :)
    Thanks everyone for replying it really means a lot to me :)

Pixiepollen likes this.
  17. kazba

kazba New Member
    Registered

This is my third week on Duromine and I got on the scales today (even though my weigh in day is next wednesday) and it says I've only lost 4kg whereas last weds it said I'd lost 5.5kg :( I'm thinking my scales must be out because there is no way I could have put on weight as my calories in is less than my calories out. I'm also wondering why my weight loss is less than other people and was feeling a bit down about it....but I guess in reality, as KimberleyBee said, any weight loss is good, and 2 kg a week is excellent when normally the most you can lose is 1kg per week. After a month that will be 8kg which is more than a stone :) I think everybody here is doing a fantastic job - its not just the weight but the mindset that you know that you need to lose it and you are pro-active in doing so. I've got another 20kg to lose and, even if its slower than hoped, I know I will get there, as will you :)

I'm on the 30mg and in week three I am feeling the appetite suppressant has eased a bit, but my sleeping is getting better. I still have the dry mouth and a few headaches but the constipation has also gotten less - I do take the ford senna every now and then just to keep things 'moving' (sorry for too much info). I was wondering if I could increase my dose but as they are capsules I don't think you can halve them so I'll keep going on the 30mg as an increased dose probably won't do much more anyway.

That's a good idea KimberleyBee to pick up something that weighs what you have lost - it puts things into perspective. Also, a slower loss will mean that it will be less likely that you will put it back on again.

Keep up the good work everybody - I don't know you but I'm very proud of you!!! *group hug*

18. KimberleyBee

KimberleyBee New Member
    Registered

Awesome work loosing 5.5kgs that is a lot of weight! I saw a lot of over weight people (some quite obese) today as I was walking through the supermarket and just made me remember why I am doing this, to loose weight and get healthy. I have felt hungier today, last week I had no desire to eat but for reason my appetite has come back a little bit. I forced myself to have a snack between lunch and dinner (of a little bit of fruit) just so my body keeps going and so my metabolism doesn't slow down.
    This is pretty much how today went:
    Breakfast: weight watches berry flakes with low fat milk
    Lunch: 2 x Ryvita crackers with tomato and some tuna (in springwater)
    Snack 3 pieces of fresh pineapple ( size about 3cmx2cm)
    Dinner: Staggo chilli (it is a canned meal with kidney beans, beef in a mild chilli sauce, it is fantastic I had half a can which is like 2 weight watches points). and had some pumpkin too (I eat off a portioning plate which has markings to show how small your portions should be).
    Water: 2.25l (this is 3x 750ml pump water bottles)
    Exercise: 30min fat burning aerobics by Windsor Pilates (DVD) - I def got a sweat up and it was so hard but at the end I was like "YESSS! I have started exercising!"
    Will see how this week goes, I have increased my food intake a little bit only because I don't think I was eating enough before and sometimes skipped meals.
    I had a little bit of constipation but only once, I am not going toilet everyday, maybe every second day (sorry for the info, I hope you are not eating dinner while reading this)
    COME ON GUYS WE CAN DO IT!

19. Cass11

Cass11 New Member
    Registered

Hi Kimberley,

Don't be discouraged! I only lost 1.4 in my first week - but I am happy with that. You can't compare yourself to others, everyone is different. Some people do lose the 5-7kgs in the first week, but there are a number of reasons for this. They may have a lot more weight to lose, which makes it easier in the beginning. They also may have eaten terribly so when they start eating healthy and smaller portions it is more dramatic for them. I dont know about you, but I've always eaten fairly healthy its just the smaller portion size I am getting used to. So for me there hasnt been as big a change in my diet, hence the 1.4kg loss. Also, maybe try weighing yourself first thing in the morning. It is more accurate then and the difference between morning and afternoon could be 1-2 kilos.

Good luck everyone and keep working hard :)

Pixiepollen likes this.
  20. Fatima

Fatima New Member
    Registered

Hi Whabbly

Please try to stay away from white bread, rather have GI bread which makes you much fuller or alterntively 4 provitas = 1 slice bread. Watermelon is not really good has it has a lot of water in it. Potatoes is also a NO NO. I will look thru my Sureslim notes and advise you tomorrow which fruit you should have.