Perimenopause Weight Gain - Still one hormone left to kick its butt :)

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by G-Ma, Nov 1, 2013.

1. G-Ma

G-Ma New Member
    Registered

"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore"....

Well the fun fifties has hit, oh yea ( said with much sarcasm) and along with it has come the extra kg's that do not want to be moved regardless of what I do. It seems that every week the scales go up even with healthy eating for the most part and the time has come to get a handle on it

I blame quitting smoking, I stopped Jan 2012 to "get healthy" but the way I am going I will not die of lung cancer but of obesity. There is always something out there waiting for us, next time make it a winning lotto ticket please. Anyway since stopping I have gained 21.6 kgs which is the bad news, the good news is I have not had a cigarette since then and I do believe that I won't. To help stop the smoking I used a prescription drug so I decided to ask my Doc what there was available to help me with the weight and her answer was Duromine 30 for a month.

The Doc mentioned the Side effects but we decided that I suffer from them all already with the perimenopause, well all the bad ones anyway, so why not give it a go to "kickstart" whatever journey I am about to take. The bonus ones (side effects) that have arrived is no cravings for Chocolate, Chips or any of the other temptations out there. So here I go.....(or is that went) as today is the end of week one.

So statistics:-
    Height: 165cm
    StartWeight: 90.6 kgs
    Goal Weight: 69 kgs

JennyGordonii likes this.
  2. G-Ma

G-Ma New Member
    Registered

Oh The memory is shot too..

So what happened week one......Firstly and most importantly my mood has improved, I was feeling very down, I blame the hormones for this though. Having a goal is actually a good thing for me as I like having something to work towards. I have been a restless sleeper for a couple of years now so have not noticed any changes there. I also suffer from constant thirst (prior to duromine) have done so all my life, so again even though a bit more than usual nothing that has bothered me.

As mentioned previously all cravings for the naughty things in life have gone (well for this week). I can't say that I never feel hungry, I do at times and really so I should after all the body needs its fuel and hunger is its way of telling us. We just have to learn how much to put in the tank. We have all swapped our regular tanks for long range ones lol. The hunger feeling is different though it is not the rumbling, grumbling, gnawing pain that is all consuming and makes us feel ill it is more of a "hollow" feeling. I find that I am satisfied and feel full quite quickly. People have to realise though that the drug in itself is not a miracle cure for what ails them. You need to be committed into losing weight for yourself. Not because your doctor says so or your partner says so. If you, yourself are not 100% committed it will not work. Along with your commitment add healthy eating and some form of exercise.

So week one for me was very successful, and the scales read 3.6kg less than my starting day. The first week is usually the best as we all know, as basically we have emptied our body out to a certain extent. I have eaten 3 meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner but I have watched portion sizes

Start Weight: 90.6 kgs
    Current Weight: 87kgs

Melaniee and Kate like this.
  3. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome G-Ma!
    The thing that you made it quiting smoking and never smoked since then, makes me confident that you can quit unhealthy eating and achieve a great weight loss. According to the results - you're on the right way. At this stage I can only wish you be strong to handle all effects that may appear with time (hope none will).;)

4. G-Ma

G-Ma New Member
    Registered

Hi and thanks Kate :). Still pretty confident here. No at my second week weigh in yet but am feeling thinner and have had to buy smaller pants.:cool:

My partner has also decided to try to and drop a few excess kgs after my first week success. Quite a good thing really as it keeps us both motivated, well hopefully that is the plan.

5. G-Ma

G-Ma New Member
    Registered

Week 2 done :confused:

Over all quite pleased, eating well, no cravings and probably sleeping better than usual. Go figure. 1.4 kgs this week which brings the grand total to 5kgs in two weeks which is quite amazing considering I couldn't shift a gram prior. Exercise consists mainly of walking to date. I try to vary my course, up hills etc and carry 1kg weights.

Current Weight: 85.6kgs
    Total Loss: 5Kgs

Stolli likes this.
  6. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Good job, darling!;)

7. G-Ma

G-Ma New Member
    Registered

Well another week gone, still sticking to the plan. Weight seemed to stall and no matter what wouldn't budge. Hadn't cheated and had not slackened off the exercise. Surely week three is too early to plateau? So had a few sessions with my friend Google. Decided to change what I was doing exercise wise as resistance training seemed to be the key word for 50+. Noticed the difference straight away and have already lost in 2 days what it took me a week to do, last week. So hopefully back on track. Huge difference in measurement and clothes too...so over all, very happy.

Current Weight: 85.0kgs
    Total Loss: 5.6Kgs

JennyGordonii, Stolli and Kate like this.
  8. Stolli

Stolli New Member
    Registered

Thus sounds like my sad hormonal life! I only started on Wednesday, but am hoping to get some good results. I already have a good gym routine, but plan to kick it up a notch.....

Great work so far - inspiring! :)

9. G-Ma

G-Ma New Member
    Registered

Hi Stolli, good luck and it will happen if you stick to it :)

So Officially my first month is done and I couldn't be happier. I feel better emotionally as well as physically. I think I needed this goal to focus on. Over all 7kgs . My third week was my worst but after changing the goal posts I brought myself back on track. I have decided to change my Goal weight to at least 24.9 BMI which would put me in the healthy range. This is not much different from my current goal weight so hopefully doable.

Current Weight: 83.6.0kgs
    Total Loss: 7.0Kgs
    Goal Weight: 24.9 BMI

10. Stolli

Stolli New Member
    Registered

It's been 5 days and I spent day 4 (yesterday) feeling sick & crampy.....my hunger only seemed to get less yesterday - maybe because I felt soooooo sick!? I also feel very light headed. Almost dizzy at times.

Not a pleasant experience so far!

How long will this last?

11. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Stolli, no one can tell you the exact numbers of days or hours these effects (or any other) will last. Because you know everybody is different. I'm sorry that you feel so badly, and I hope thing will get better soon. Do you have enough of proteins and carbs? Water? Some home exercises help to deliver more energy.

12. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow to these numbers!:)

Stolli likes this.