Newest Kid On The Block

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by wenchy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. wenchy

wenchy New Member
    Registered

Hi Guys, :)

I've just joined this awesome forum after browsing around for the past few days. I'm so glad to find a group of people who aren't slamming this method of weight loss.

I'm 43 and first started using Duromine about 18 months ago. Once I got beyond the first few days of side effects, I started experiencing good success. I lost 9.5 kg in the first two weeks. I knew that was a tad drastic and I became a bit of a walking zombie due to lack of sleep. Exhaustion soon kicked in and I stopped taking the pills, for what was to only be a few days. I really needed some rest. Then some unrelated health issues arose, which required ongoing tests and investigation and I was unable to start back on the pills when I had planned. I was off them for around 6 months and I also quit smoking. The weight piled back on. Some of my health issues were put down to hormones. Perimenopausal and I was a bit of a mess. Back on Duromine I went. This time was a completely different experience and I failed to shed any weight. I wasn't sleeping and had no energy, so I quit them. I tried again a few months later - same experience, with no luck. I'm still experiencing the hormone dramas but realised I can no longer allow them to control me. I had a script from back in October of last year which I hadn't filled because my doctor said my blood pressure was a little too high. My son is a nurse, so he has been checking my BP for me and I decided last week to have the script filled. I started taking them on 27th March. To date I have lost 2.8kg. Certainly not as fast as the first time, but probably more ideal. This time I am managing to sleep. Not sure why things are different in this regard. I still get the headaches and dry mouth, boundless energy most days and zero appetite. Unlike last time, I am making sure I eat properly this time. Well, as good as I can. As most of you know, it's difficult to eat when you have no appetite. Breakfast is usually a protein shake, smoothie or weetbix. Lunch is a ham or chicken and salad sandwich on wholemeal bread. Dinner is salad or veg, sometimes with a piece of meat. I should eat more meat but find it very unappealing lately. Snacks are usually a piece of fruit or yogurt.

I know I need to try and make myself eat properly, otherwise I won't be able to sustain any weight loss when I stop Duromine. Re enforcing good habits while using the drug hopefully should set me in good stead for when I am finished the course. It can be hard at times because my hubby works away from home during the week and I can very easily become extremely lazy with food. It's much easier to grab a bag of chips or some frozen rubbish, than to bother cooking for myself. This is one major hurdle I need to overcome.

Exercise is another habit I need to form. I really don't like exercise at all! Isn't that just awful? I don't mind walking, but I usually fizzle out after a few weeks of it. Again, pure laziness. I recently bought an AeroPilates. Boy, does that thing get me moving! I'm OK with the resistance work on it, but the cardio work is a real killer. I am sore all over. It claims to burn more calories than walking or using a treadmill and I can see why. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get used to it. i am determined to use it because it wasn't cheap and I don't want it becoming a dust collector like my treadmill was.

So that's pretty much my story. I love reading all your posts, success stories and hints and tips. Hopefully I might have some of my own to offer in time. :)

My start weight: 89.9
    Current weight: 87.1
    Goal weight: 65

2. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi wenchy!
    Well, that's a story! I mean so many fails and finally you've found your ideal way. Who knows why the pills work different this time? I think something has changed in your body, that's all.
    I'll skip the part with your therapy, because obviously you do great so far, and move to exercising part. Though I cannot understand how people may not like exercises, since I can't live without moving, but we're all different.
    I started to workout during my weight loss journey with duromine. I hired a personal coach so that my exercises were regular and correct. I think also, that personal coach is a good motivator & discipline. Even if I felt lazy and didn't want to go to gym, I knew he would wait me there, so.. Sense of responsibility LOL.
    I know, it's kinda "expensive pleasure" , but worth it trust me. If your budget allows, you should try. Pros: coach will give you only exercises that fit you most; he/she will monitor your state (if you are sick for example, you may skip the workout or do some light exercises); motivate & encourage you so that you can achieve greater results.
    Cons: high cost, strict schedule of workouts
    I'm not propagandizing you this way of exercising, but sharing my experience only.

Best wishes! Kate

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wenchy

wenchy New Member
    Registered

Thanks Kate! :)

I might look into a PT a little further down the track. I'm surprising myself with how diligent I've been on the AeroPilates and walking. That should keep me moving for a while. I'm able to work a little harder each time I exercise.

I hit the 2 week mark last Wednesday and to date have lost 3.8kg. I'm losing at a much slower rate this time, but I am also eating properly, whereas I wasn't the first time I used
    Duromine. Perhaps the fact that I'm only taking them every second day might come into play with the losses as well.

As far as side effects go, I still get the dry mouth, even on the days I don't have a pill. Still get headaches every day, but they have become less intense. I've had only a couple of bouts of nausea. Yesterday was the first time I actually craved food. I wasn't hungry at all, just had the munchies. I resisted, which is unlike me. I've always been a 'happy' person on Duromine, but this time I am noticing periods of grumpiness. Snappy and moody for no reason at all. It comes and goes. (poor hubby!) At least I can recognise this myself, without having to be told. But mostly I am happy and feel a sense of well being.

All in all, I'm feeling OK and plan to continue on this journey with an open mind and a positive attitude. :)