Newest Kid On The Block

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by wenchy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. wenchy

wenchy New Member
    Registered

Hi Guys, :)

I've just joined this awesome forum after browsing around for the past few days. I'm so glad to find a group of people who aren't slamming this method of weight loss.

I'm 43 and first started using Duromine about 18 months ago. Once I got beyond the first few days of side effects, I started experiencing good success. I lost 9.5 kg in the first two weeks. I knew that was a tad drastic and I became a bit of a walking zombie due to lack of sleep. Exhaustion soon kicked in and I stopped taking the pills, for what was to only be a few days. I really needed some rest. Then some unrelated health issues arose, which required ongoing tests and investigation and I was unable to start back on the pills when I had planned. I was off them for around 6 months and I also quit smoking. The weight piled back on. Some of my health issues were put down to hormones. Perimenopausal and I was a bit of a mess. Back on Duromine I went. This time was a completely different experience and I failed to shed any weight. I wasn't sleeping and had no energy, so I quit them. I tried again a few months later - same experience, with no luck. I'm still experiencing the hormone dramas but realised I can no longer allow them to control me. I had a script from back in October of last year which I hadn't filled because my doctor said my blood pressure was a little too high. My son is a nurse, so he has been checking my BP for me and I decided last week to have the script filled. I started taking them on 27th March. To date I have lost 2.8kg. Certainly not as fast as the first time, but probably more ideal. This time I am managing to sleep. Not sure why things are different in this regard. I still get the headaches and dry mouth, boundless energy most days and zero appetite. Unlike last time, I am making sure I eat properly this time. Well, as good as I can. As most of you know, it's difficult to eat when you have no appetite. Breakfast is usually a protein shake, smoothie or weetbix. Lunch is a ham or chicken and salad sandwich on wholemeal bread. Dinner is salad or veg, sometimes with a piece of meat. I should eat more meat but find it very unappealing lately. Snacks are usually a piece of fruit or yogurt.

I know I need to try and make myself eat properly, otherwise I won't be able to sustain any weight loss when I stop Duromine. Re enforcing good habits while using the drug hopefully should set me in good stead for when I am finished the course. It can be hard at times because my hubby works away from home during the week and I can very easily become extremely lazy with food. It's much easier to grab a bag of chips or some frozen rubbish, than to bother cooking for myself. This is one major hurdle I need to overcome.

Exercise is another habit I need to form. I really don't like exercise at all! Isn't that just awful? I don't mind walking, but I usually fizzle out after a few weeks of it. Again, pure laziness. I recently bought an AeroPilates. Boy, does that thing get me moving! I'm OK with the resistance work on it, but the cardio work is a real killer. I am sore all over. It claims to burn more calories than walking or using a treadmill and I can see why. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get used to it. i am determined to use it because it wasn't cheap and I don't want it becoming a dust collector like my treadmill was.

So that's pretty much my story. I love reading all your posts, success stories and hints and tips. Hopefully I might have some of my own to offer in time. :)

My start weight: 89.9
    Current weight: 87.1
    Goal weight: 65

2. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi wenchy!
    Well, that's a story! I mean so many fails and finally you've found your ideal way. Who knows why the pills work different this time? I think something has changed in your body, that's all.
    I'll skip the part with your therapy, because obviously you do great so far, and move to exercising part. Though I cannot understand how people may not like exercises, since I can't live without moving, but we're all different.
    I started to workout during my weight loss journey with duromine. I hired a personal coach so that my exercises were regular and correct. I think also, that personal coach is a good motivator & discipline. Even if I felt lazy and didn't want to go to gym, I knew he would wait me there, so.. Sense of responsibility LOL.
    I know, it's kinda "expensive pleasure" , but worth it trust me. If your budget allows, you should try. Pros: coach will give you only exercises that fit you most; he/she will monitor your state (if you are sick for example, you may skip the workout or do some light exercises); motivate & encourage you so that you can achieve greater results.
    Cons: high cost, strict schedule of workouts
    I'm not propagandizing you this way of exercising, but sharing my experience only.

Best wishes! Kate

3. wenchy

wenchy New Member
    Registered

Thanks Kate! :)

I might look into a PT a little further down the track. I'm surprising myself with how diligent I've been on the AeroPilates and walking. That should keep me moving for a while. I'm able to work a little harder each time I exercise.

I hit the 2 week mark last Wednesday and to date have lost 3.8kg. I'm losing at a much slower rate this time, but I am also eating properly, whereas I wasn't the first time I used
    Duromine. Perhaps the fact that I'm only taking them every second day might come into play with the losses as well.

As far as side effects go, I still get the dry mouth, even on the days I don't have a pill. Still get headaches every day, but they have become less intense. I've had only a couple of bouts of nausea. Yesterday was the first time I actually craved food. I wasn't hungry at all, just had the munchies. I resisted, which is unlike me. I've always been a 'happy' person on Duromine, but this time I am noticing periods of grumpiness. Snappy and moody for no reason at all. It comes and goes. (poor hubby!) At least I can recognise this myself, without having to be told. But mostly I am happy and feel a sense of well being.

All in all, I'm feeling OK and plan to continue on this journey with an open mind and a positive attitude. :)