New here, a few questions!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by missmolly, May 21, 2011.

1. missmolly

missmolly New Member
    Registered

Hi everyone, I'm on day 2 & so far, so good,

My GP prescribed me duromine 40mg, went to chemist & they were around $115 so they offered me a
    cheaper generic alternative........ Metermine 40mg cap. I assume these are exactly the same as the duromine 40mg but just produced by a different company. Am i right in assuming this?

A bit of history! I'm 160cm and weigh 72kg. Would like to get down to 60kg as i am so tiny!

All seems to be going ok so far, don't feel hungry. Poor sleep last night but i expect that.

After reading briefly thru this forum i'm wondering why i was immediately put on the top dose (40mg) of duromine?? Oh well, as long as the weight comes off!!

Good luck to everyone out there, it's easy to put the weight on but to get it off is a nightmare!!

Any help with my queries ie, metermine and why the high dosage would be great, thanks! x

2. missmolly

missmolly New Member
    Registered

Anyone with any advice?? 20 views and no takers!! :confused:

3. Holi

Holi New Member
    Registered

hello missmolly,

You are definitely right in assuming the cheaper ones are exactly the same. They are called generic medications. This happens as when a pharmaceutical company develops a brand new drug that company is the only company that is allowed to make it for 8 years i think. After 8 years is up, any company can make the drug, so generally in the first 8 years the company that developed the drug sells it at a really high price to try to make as much money as they can. Then after the 8 years all companies can make it if they wish and they generally sell it much cheaper. The ingredients are exactly the same. The only thing that might look different is the way they make them so they might be a different shape or colour but they do the same thing.

I have also just started duromine today. Been on it 2 hours now lol. my stomach is grumbling like crazy and hurts but i am not hungry. I was also put on a higher dose, not sure why. I am on the 30mg.

Good luck hun! Hope this info helps.

-holi

4. rootesy

rootesy New Member
    Registered

Hey ladies,

I got no idea why the Doc put you on the highest dose first Missmolly with only 12kgs to lose! This drug can have some serious side effects that is why my Doc put me on the 15mg first and I have to lose over 40kgs! Now I am on the 30mg, started yesterday and I haven't had any side effects yet... touch wood:D. You be careful my mate!

And thanks Holi for that info about generic medications, I didn't know that.

Cheers :D

5. missmolly

missmolly New Member
    Registered

Thanks for the replies guys. Well i am coming to the end of day 3. I have not slept for the past 2 nights! Not a wink. My energy levels are something else, emptied all the kitchen today into boxes and cleaned the cupboards, walls, windows! Can't sit down... maybe 40mg is a bit high for me?? If i don't sleep tonight then i'm not taking a pill tomorrow. Can't go on like this.
    Good news is, i'm forcing myself to eat. No appetite whatsoever. I expected duromine to be good but this is crazy. I don't even want chocolate! Keep your fingers crossed i sleep tonight!!

x

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member
    Registered

Hi Miss Molly!

Welcome to the forum!

Every GP seems to be different, so as to why we're all put on different doses is beyond me?

I have similar stats to you - I'm 165cm and now weigh in at 71.8kgs after 2 weeks.

All your side effects seem pretty normal - I suffered the exact same as you! If you have a look at my first week blog, you will see every side effect possible I had during week 1!!

After 5 days of being on 30mg, it eventually all caught up with me and I was so exhausted and a bit slow off the mark. My eyes were burning from no sleep too!

This is now going into my 3rd week and all side effects are gone.

Good luck lovely and don't forget to update us on your progress!!

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member
    Registered

P.S Also forgot to mention - if you have private health insurance, ring them and find out if they pay anything back on Duromine.

As Duromine is not a PBS medicine, my private health insurer pays me back $50.00 per script as long as I have a proper pharmaceutical receipt which can be obtained when the chemist dispenses your medication.

Now it only costs me $45.00 for 30mg.

Also worth buying your medication from Chemist Warehouse if you can - big chain chemist and very cheap!

8. missmolly

missmolly New Member
    Registered

Thanks Victoria, yep have got private insurance, will phone them tomorrow.

Got my tabs from chemist warehouse, i never go anywhere else!

Well, day 4 and all ok except for the insomnia. Saying that it's taken me forever to type this, i am exhausted and i know as soon as my head hits the pillow i'll sleep!

All worth a bit of discomfort, I am literally forcing myself to eat, my appetite has completey gone!

Good luck on your journey, i'll follow your progress and keep you updated on mine (hopefully)!!

x

9. missmolly

missmolly New Member
    Registered

Sorry forgot to add, how can i have a nose at your blog???? x