My Month on Duromine Journey - Hopefully!!!!!!

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by harlee88, Sep 25, 2012.

1. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

My Story:
    Quick run down so you don’t get bored!

Healthy fit and active kid followed by healthy less inactive teenager who ate out of boredom.

First diet at 14 when I decided since mum had just lost 20kgs I could too and this is where the last 10 years of battling weight has come from. At this point I weighed 79kgs and got down to 72kgs through exercise and food intake control. Followed by years of yo-yoing.

End of school: 85.5 kg

Ended up going on lite n easy for a few months. This worked great I ended up losing 13kgs however due to stress, study and the usually stories I regained back up to 79kgs.

A few years after leaving home and not wanting to cook for one I realised I wasn’t doing myself any justice so over the years I have researched and extensively looked at food and exercise. I eventually eliminated gluten and then dairy. By doing this I have realised I am actually intolerance to both becoming extensively worse as months progressed. I now dont crave either and prefer not to have it due to the side effects .

Over a few years I managed to yo-yo down to 63kgs but couldn’t maintain it due to issues going on in my life etc.

So my story starts here, back from holidays I realised I needed to get my life under control again, everything else is going great so I have no excuses. Over the past few weeks I have been terrific with my diet exactly where I want to be. I’m back exercising regularly almost every day however I haven’t been losing weight!

I have an athletic body and are quite muscular so I figured my body composition must be changing however after not noticing any changes in my clothes I figured it can’t be really working.

Next thought – thyroid problem ?!?
    So off to the doctor and after a fully cleared blood test my doctor described me duromine (30mg) to see if it will help the loosing process. I was a little apprehensive however I thought I would give it ago just for a month.

So currently (as I write this) I’m almost at the end of day 3…..
    I jotted down some notes for day 1 and 2 which are below and I plan on posting either everyday or even second day to track my progress until the month is over. I would like to do weigh ins once a week or every 3-4 days but sometimes I just can’t help myself and I tend to peak most days :p
    So here goes…………

The basics
    Height – 174cm Age- 24 Weight – 74.5kg Fitness – Above Average

My goal for the Month – 6 to 7 kgs
    Ultimate goal – 8+ (wishful thinking I know but a girl can dream)

I live on a primal diet, high in good fat, good amount of protein and limiting carbs to less than 100grams a day. I find this the best way to function and it keeps me from being bloated and keeps me regular (meat, vegies, fruit, nuts, coconut milk etc).

Day 1 – Weight 74.5kgs

Thoughts – SCARED! I have heard some really negative reviews about the drug and was some what apprehensive to start… however the thought of getting up around 80kgs again wasn’t something I wanted to happen!
    Hunger – not hungry at all after drug and all day I forced myself to eat
    Side effects – none
    Bowel movements (I know gross but I have read many people have issues) – 2
    Calories-
    Total- 900 (56% fat 34% Protein 10% Carbs)
    Exercise- 5km Run and extensive shopping session!!!
    I had heaps of energy this day and just didn’t stop. I didn’t feel hungry at all and forced myself to eat

Day 2

Thoughts –– Feeling optimistic!
    Hunger – not hungry at all
    Side effects – little bit thirsty
    Bowel movements – 1
    Sleep- Issues sleeping after getting up and having to go to the toilet. Stayed awake for a couple for hours however woke up feel good and energised (planned to go to bed late that night so I would be tired and sleep through, worked a treat!)
    Calories-
    Total- 1200 (64% fat 22% Protein 14% Carbs)
    Exercise- Abseiling and trekking around the outdoors 8am-3pm!! Good days effort
    I had heaps of energy this day and just didn’t stop. I didn’t feel hungry at all and forced myself to eat when we had breaks because I knew I would be burning quite a bit. At night my eyes felt tired but my body didn’t so I made sure to stay up and be active to ensure a good night sleep.

Day 3 – 73kg (Total loss = 1.5kgs) YAY!

Thoughts - Can’t really believe it, I always think about food and now I don’t and when I do I’m not even fussed and really can’t be bothered. I had a protein shake from breakfast and it took me 3 hours to get through and I only drank 2/3 of it!
    Hunger – not hungry at all after drug and all day I forced myself to eat again
    Side effects – Really thirsty and pee all the time!
    Bowel movements – 2
    Sleep- I didn’t go to sleep as fast as I usually do but still got 5 hours solid in and woke up feel energised this morning.

Calories-
    Total- 1015 (51% fat 31% Protein 18% Carbs)
    Exercise- cross fit training (still in foundation stage so just learning the correct way to do things atm but still a workout)
    Wasn’t tired, hungry and certainly didn’t crave food… going well so far!

It’s a long post but hopefully it will be the only one and I will try to keep it short and sweet. I wished I had taken measurements however I can always feel the difference in my clothes so I will just stick to scale measurements for the time being.

Til Tomorrow 
    Hayley

2. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 4 – 72.6kg (Total loss = 1.5kgs, today's loss 0.4) YAY!

Thoughts: Woke up this morning feeling refreshed and wanting a little breakfast … after taking my pill the feeling soon went away and I didn’t feel like anything until I got to work and forced myself to have a bit of breakfast. (Im taking my pill around 4.30-5 on week days and no later than 7 on weekends), I then didn’t eat for another 7 hours after lunch time yoga! I have also been extremely thirsty all day a lot more than the previous days.

Hunger – not hungry most of the day, i was looking forward to dinner and eat normally and felt completely satisfied.
    Side effects – Really thirsty and pee all the time again to the extreme! Not really worrying me though and a slight headache today aswell
    Bowel movements – 2
    Sleep- Great night sleep, a solid 5-6 hours
    Calories-
    Total- 1170 (55% fat 31% Protein 14% Carbs)
    Exercise- cross fit training (foundation stage) and an hour of yoga at lunch

Today I also noticed i got a little tired after lunch and towards the afternoon, however its my eyes that feel tired and my body still feels like it has heaps of energy!

So far so good, I actually cant wait to see where I am at in 2 weeks as I really feel its working for me!

Im happy to answer any question anyone has too so feel free to ask

Hayley :p

3. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Sorry everyone, hit the wrong button

Day 4 – 72.6kg (Total loss = 1.9kgs, today's loss 0.4) YAY!

4. 6ftchick

6ftchick New Member
    Registered

hi harlee
    great work so far i started a few days ago my self was terrified as i had read so many scary things but i havent really had any side effects only headaches little ones and little thirsty but not camel like thirsty lol man your active lol i hope you continue to go really well love reading ya blog ;)

5. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Hi 6ftchick
    thanks for your reply! I too was terrified I woke up on the first morning and really contemplated taking them and as i couldnt see another way to help lose the weight I thought why not!
    I love to be active I sit down all day and if i dont do something physical i get grumpy lol i also find it helps to make me really tired so i get a good nights rest.
    I have had a couple of headache and been super thirsty but nothing I would stop taking them for.

Glad you like the blog.... I hope to keep it up..... its a good feeling to get on here and vent and share my experience. :)

Good luck with everything.

6. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 5 – 72.6kg (Total loss = 1.9kgs, today's loss 0.0)

Thoughts: Woke up feeling very good!

Hunger – I was slightly peckish today i think from all of yesterdays exercise, kept to my plan though and after dinner again I felt completely satisfied.
    Side effects – Really thirsty!!!!!!!!!!!! TOO THE MAX again not worried if that's the only thing, little headache this afternoon however I'm having back issues and i find once i stand that they disappear so i think they aren't coming from the duromine but other issues i am having!
    Bowel movements – 3 no issues there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay this is a good thing for me because when on a gluten and dairy diet this was a major issue!
    Sleep- Great night sleep, a solid 6 hours uninterrupted!
    Calories-
    Total- 1050 (49% fat 30% Protein 21% Carbs)
    Exercise- absolutely nothing! lol

I don't expect to lose weight everyday or even ever second but i know my body is changing as i feel clothes are getting bigger and my face and arms have leaned out. I have also been worried about losing muscle so i am trying to incorporate more weight training to compensate!
    Im travelling for a few days so I wont be doing exercise however i think as long as i stay focused i should be fine i just have no desire to cheat as i really want this to work!

thanks everyone for checking out my blog i hope its helpful for your own success!

Hayley

7. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 6 – 72.5kg (Total loss = 2.0kgs, today's loss 0.1)

Thoughts: Woke up feeling good!

Hunger – I wasnt actually hungry but for some reason I needed food..... I have been good all day and ate quite a bit of lean red meat for dinner however I am a big red meat eaten and often have hunger cravings for meat so really i guess its nothing out of the ordinary.
    Side effects- well i have been having headaches but again not sure its from the duromine! nothing to cry over though!
    Bowel movements – 2-3
    Sleep- Went to bed an hour early because i was tired but ended up waking up and hour early, so for some reason my body only needs around 6 hours a night
    Calories-
    Total- Didn't count today but i think it would be up around 1500, this is my standard amount of calories mostly good fats and lean meat as usual.
    Exercise- absolutely nothing

So for the next four days I will be going interstate for the weekend, I was actually considering not starting duromine until i returned however im so happy I did as i have lost 2kgs in 5 days and I'm feeling a lot leaner. I also feel a lot more comfortable about travelling as i usually pig out of food and stock up on snacks when i don't need too thinking I might not eat for hours! However most days I have gone without food or any sort of intake of calories up to 6-7 hours. I dont feel the drive to obsessively search for food or snack on anything bad... Tonight i did start having craving for chocolate (my healthy version the thought of dairy and gluten these days puts me right off, intolerance just isnt worth it) however i havent drank much water and realised thats actually what it was as now the craving has gone and I feel full.
    I guess i wont be posting for the next for days but Im really keen to see how I feel and how my body reacts to not being in a routine and not under its usual "omg I dont know where my next meal will be or come from" mentality which usually happens on holidays and to see if i have gained, remained or lost weight on my return

I'm so excited about this duromine thing! although the scales have only moved slightly im actually not that overweight although my doctor said my bmi was getting a bit high, i feel its really working and after i return i plan on making the next 3 weeks really count to the end of the month!

Sorry if i ramble on a bit, just trying to give everyone as much info as possible:p

Hayley

8. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 8 : no stats to log as Im on a mimi holiday for four days however thought I would give a quick update anyway.
    I have still been feeling good with very little appetite and really no desire to eat much or even anything bad. I even skipped maccas this morning after everyone else in the group insisted on it and it didn't take much effort either...just no desire for it. I have been trying to eat at least three times a day even if it's something small. My mouth is still really dry but again not really a big problem. Duromine still gives me heaps of energy and I still only need limited sleep. I can't weigh myself atm however I certainly wouldnt have gained and wouldn't be surprised if I have lost more weight as my clothes have again become loser.

So happy I decided to start duromine before the holiday it has made this trip so easy!

9. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 9
    So still on holidays and I have no stats still but I thought I would update what I'm feeling and the psychological aspect while being on the drug. So I guess I'm still having difficulty getting my head around the idea you have go force yourself to eat. I think because I have spent so many years trying to avoid over eating and eating at certain times that when it's lunch time im having difficulty determining if I'm actually hungry or society is telling me so, I know that is a hard thing to understand but I don't want to be taking in too few calories as I know I will suffer after coming off Duromine. Most days I'm comfortable with 2 good meals and a snack, and I haven't binged or eaten anything bad since being on Duromine in fact it has strengthen my dislike for dairy and gluten. Although as the days progress I have noticed I'm eating more or rather filling up my plate of which I can't eat, a point of my eyes being to big for my stomach and I have noticed I'm a little hungrier. This is only been the last few days and I think this change in appetite is due to my late night's Hehe (who doesn't like to party ) however I think because I'm conscious of being on Duromine I'm still making good food choices.
    Other than that I'm not really having headaches anymore and everything else seems fine, I also woke this morning thinking I might have lost more weight or at least some inches as my face and arms have more definition .

10. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Right weekend OVER time to update!

My long weekend went great right up until the wedding, I allowed myself wedding cake and a few lollies from the lolly bar too hehehe.
    The next day didnt go so well I found almond mnms when i went to the movies and mint pods :(
    Anyway I went back to work Tuesday and couldn't bare to get on the scales thinking about the damage I did. Anyway putting it all behind me I decided I would sort it out today. I was very strict on my diet and really listened to what my body was telling me. So here are my states for today.

Day 13- 73.3kg (total loss 1.2 after .8 gain ) :( hopefully this will be gone tomorrow

Thoughts - Not really getting hungry still but old habits die hard specially when sitting at a desk all day. heaps easier though on duromine, dreading coming off them, I think it is also near that time of the month and I usually tend to eat more and gain water weight.
    Hunger – not hungry but if I dont eat I feel faint
    Side effects – Not as thirsty as last week but still taking in a few litres of water
    Bowel movements – 2
    Sleep- my long weekend caught up to me and I ended up sleeping a solid 12 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so heaps of energy today

Calories-
    Total- 1432 (56% fat 26% Protein 18% Carbs)
    Exercise- 6km run and yoga afterwards, HRM showed 500 calories loss.

11. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 15- 72.5kg (total loss 2kgs)

Thoughts - Feeling really frustrated! I think I can put this down to the good old " time of the month ". Trying to stay positive and I plan on really focusing on my goal for the next 15 days.
    Hunger – not craving however slightly more hungry than usual.
    Side effects – my thirsty side effect has basically disappeared now and I'm not really having any side effects
    Bowel movements – 2
    Sleep- good night sleep, 8-9 hours, i think this was due to attending bikram yoga last night which i haven't done in a long time, it was a bit of shock to the body and me!

Calories-
    Total- 1406 (44% fat 33% Protein 23% Carbs)
    Exercise-Bikram again this morning, HRM told me I burnt 600 calories.

Bikram really takes it out of me and it is quite a hard workout. I think the combination of bikram and women issues is what is contributing to my extra hunger. However like i said previously i like to be active and not lose muscle while doing this which usually happens on low calorie diets. I have definitively lost inches and im back down to the weight before my long weekend however i am slightly disappointed i haven't lost more weight. I guess I might have to look at my goals again considering my progress, possibly aiming for 5kgs over the month. im not sure the doctor will proscribe me another month after I finish the current cycle so I really would like to progress a lot further in the second half of the cycle compared to that of the first.
    Overall though i must say i am quite happy with how im feeling the the effects duromine is having on me. I haven't really suffered any side effects so much that i have wanted to stop and it does seems to curb my appetite compared to months previous.

Positive thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although i don't feel like it)

12. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 15- 72.0kg (total loss 2.5kgs) YAY on the way down. Got to be Bikram!!!!!!!

Thoughts - Still feeling frustrated!
    Hunger - Not as bad today.
    Side effects – none
    Bowel movements – 2
    Sleep- 9 hours... no issues there as long as i have done some exercise.

Calories-
    Total- About 1500, this is a guess as i went out for lunch, it was all healthy although cant really tell the exact amount.
    Exercise-400 calories burnt during earlier morning tennis followed by a couple of games of ten pin bowling (187 highest score ever, so proud!!), potentially an afternoon bike ride may be in order, too much of a nice day to sit at home and do laundry.

Not feeling to good atm though, I think I may have eaten something at lunch that hasn't agreed with me :( ( i think they lied about the drink being dairy-free) so suffering with nice headache and upset stomach.

13. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 17

Didn't weight myself this morning, will tomorrow.
    Thoughts - Feeling good, little tired this morning!
    Hunger - Not really hungry at all. I think becuase I have been stocking up over the next few days lol
    Side effects – none
    Bowel movements – 2
    Sleep- 8 hours

Feeling heaps beta than i have been over the last few days and I'm about to attend Bikram yoga again (might have a little addiction hehehe). I also struggle with acid reflux and have done for years now.... and water is one of the worst things! I think this why i also struggle with my weight as the only thing that stops it is either drinking or eating more (perhaps not stopping it but delaying it a little longer). For example I had a good lunch and I was definitely not hungry after work however once I got home I ate an apple which filled me up and yet my acid reflux is killing me that it makes me want to eat again in order to stop it. Its very frustrating although I did notice it reduced in the first few days of taking duromine. Not sure if its the pill or the fact that I was eating really small potions (which i guess makes sense). Anyway just another thing to look at i guess.

14. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 18 - 71.8kg (Total - 2.7kg ) YAY! I know its only small but it is in the right direction

Thoughts - Feeling good, a little annoyed at myself for eating more calories than I need, kinda forcing it down when I know or rather feel I dont need it. Lunch today wasnt that many calories and to most people it would have been sufficient however I felt extremely full and yet I kept eating :confused:, old habits die hard. the only difference about being on Duromine is that I cant stomach certain foods and the thought of certain foods makes me sick so in overall I am going for healthier options eg fruit
    Hunger - No real hunger cravings, and only slightly hungry.
    Side effects – none
    Bowel movements – 2
    Sleep- 8 hours, did wake up around 1.30 am but went back to sleep no worries.

Calories-
    Total- 1376
    Exercise- 500 calories burnt during Cross fit (first class that was a nice shock to the system!)

Yesterday I explained my issues with acid reflux!!! Anyway I went searching on the net (of which I have done many times before with no success) and I discovered black strap molasses and I found a few reviews singing its praises. Anyway my housemate just happened to have some in the cupboard so today I decided to try it......and ...........OMG...................................................... wait for it.................. it helps!!!!!!!! I had a couple of tablespoons for breakfast with warm almond milk of which was a struggle to get down (very sweet for someone who tries to avoid sugar) however it eased the reflux for most of the day and I plan on having some just before bed while not trying to drink or eat within an hour of bed. I felt this has helped a lot and why my carbs were a lot higher today than usual.

I have also noticed my body composition has changes somewhat as well and often during weight loss I lose muscle however I feel this time I have maintain what I had and lose fat instead, perhaps this is why my weight loss isn't as much as I had hope for. Another interesting point I thought I would share as I see others have posted on is SEX DRIVE! Because omg mine is through the ROOF!!!!!!!!!!!! lol not sure how much everyone wants to read about that so I wont go on about it but it feels like it has increased. I guess over all so far the experience has been a positive one.

15. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 19 - 71.5kg (Total - 3.0kg ) down another few hundred grams, slowly but surely.

Thoughts - Feeling all good but a lot hungrier
    Hunger - Wasn't hungry in the morning, by 10.30 I could have eaten a COW! so calories were a lot higher today.
    Side effects – none
    Bowel movements – 2
    Sleep- 8 hours, woke up around 1.00 am again and had a little trouble getting to sleep. I think also from a higher carb diet today I was a lot more tired than I usually am.

Calories-
    Total- 2050
    Exercise- approx 700 calories during bikram tonight

I have continued with my black strap molasses as well today which also added a few more carbs however the positive effect it is having on my reflux is terrific so i wont be giving it up anytime soon. :p

16. aturn121

aturn121 New Member
    Registered

How are u managing to poo 2 times a day ? I have such bad constipation I'm on everything and it's not helping. :(

17. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Lol..... well aturn121, I actually have a sensitive stomach so things like coffee have a laxative effect (although Im not drinking coffee atm, currently 8 weeks sober from it yay! I was slightly addicted) however I follow a primal lifestyle and other than herbal tea (decaf!) I have hot water and cacao powder with a little stevia and within 15 minutes to 1/2 an hour I usually need to go to the bathroom.

If you are having trouble I suggest reducing grains, dairy and specially gluten and increase good fats and as many green vegetables as u can handle. For lunch I make a salad with capsicum, cabbage - green and purple, lettuce, apple, avocado, celery, carrot, sundried tomatoes and chicken. Dinner - vegies and some protein and breakfast almond butter and celery or apple and almond milk. Within a few days I think you will notice a big difference. Also remember if you are eating low calories you body wont be getting rid of as much waste so you might not have to go as often as you are use too.

Coffee often has a laxative effect on most people but if that doesn't work another good alternative is drinking a cup of warm prune juice in the morning on an empty stomach!!!!! this will definitely relieve your issues. It might take a few hours for it to have an effect but it will work as long as you dont eat anything for a couple of hours afterwards. Remember to drink heaps of water too. Hydration is a big thing.

Hopefully this will help.... let me know how you go :)

18. aturn121

aturn121 New Member
    Registered

That's for that , it's a bit of a shitty question :) I only have one coffee in the morning and no go , don't know if I could do
    Prune juice but I'll give it a go. Have heard pear juice is good ?? Not eating bread at all and drink 4lt of water. So I'll try and ingress my greens.
    I took four laxatives last night and still no go. So might go back and get stronger ones. Thanks for the quick reply
    I'm sure there is a could of kgs in there :)

19. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

No worries ..... not sure about the pear juice but u could put a small amount of apple juice to mask the taste or a hand full of prunes would also work. The juice would work faster though. By the sounds of it if laxatives aren't working perhaps ur body is just retaining everything u r eating specially if your not eating much....good luck with it :p

20. harlee88

harlee88 New Member
    Registered

Day 22

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

Lost a little motivation :( havent weighed myself but I plan on doing that Monday morning. the last few days I have been really bloated and unhappy, I haven't felt as good as I did the first 2 weeks of the pill. I m not sure if its the duromine or the effects of my period of which hasn't arrived yet. This is also another concern of mine (and no Im not pregnant!!!!!!!!) I tend to skip periods or have very minimal ones when my body is stressed. After breaking up with my partner last year I didn't have one for 6 months so not getting my period is quite common for me. Im interested to see if this is the duromine that is having this effect on me or taking up bikram again and all the other excessive exercise. Not quite sure but I know I haven't felt as good as I have been previously and after some research I notice others have had issues on week 3. I have been eating more which is frustrating which is why I think I haven't been bothered to weigh myself. I attended bikram friday night, this morning and I intend on doing it tomorrow morning as well as it really heaps with feeling bloated and of course it helps my back issues. I know im probably doing more exercise than most but I really enjoy it so I want be giving it up. I really want to go back to the doctors next week having lost 5 kilos and being back under 70kgs which I think is possible as long as I get myself sort for the next 8 days.
    Anyone who said weight loss was easy is definitely lying! Duromine has made it easier and I hope the doctor will proscribe it for me for another month after the first 30 days because I have noticed a significate difference but I think for me because i am doing so much exercise I must really focus on eating 3 meals a day so I do go into starvation mode and want to eat everything in sight! Bikam burns up to 800 calories per class so eating 1000 a day just isn't going to do it, I'm thinking aiming for 1300 should help me get to my 5kg goal in the next week.