My First Time on Here.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FiFiFish, Sep 4, 2014.

1. FiFiFish

FiFiFish Member
    Registered

I never even knew this site existed, but I'm so happy I've found it!!!!
    So, a bit about me.
    12 months ago, I was 40 and FAT!!! at 157cms and 102kgs (53% body fat) and a size 24 top and 16 bottom.
    High blood pressure, high cholesterol, insulin dependent diabetic, stomach ulcers, bile reflux, depression and a fibroid growing at an unnaturally fast pace.
    I was taking 5 high dose shots per day (and still with readings above 15), and 21 prescribed medications - per day!!! I had a constantly bruised stomach and should really have rattled!
    I was miserable & mean and had a huge chip on my shoulder, thinking everyone was judging me because of my weight!

Feb 2013, I started changing how & what I ate and going to the gym... and was super embarrassed when I would walk out, almost dead, after less than 1/2 an hour! After the first couple months, I had lost a couple kgs, but it was all so hard and so depressing. I felt like an idiot at the gym and just wanted to go back home and feed my face.
    Then my Doctor (same one since I was 18) suggested I tried Duromine, so I started on 15mg and haven't looked back!!! I've done 3 months on 15mg & 3 months on 30mg, with a 2 week break between each month and have started on 40mg this month.

So far, I have lost 24kgs, no longer suffer from a single medical condition (I am now very healthy, just over weight), I am no longer classed as diabetic and all my blood sugar readings (which I take randomly) fall within the lower side of normal range. My outlook on life has changed and I am the happy person I used to be before my marriage breakdown and I got sick and my life spiralled out of control!
    At 78kgs (37.5% body fat), I am now wearing size 16-18tops and size 12 bottoms (thought my new bike pants are a size 10 - bloody apple shape!!!) and only 3kgs away from my lowest body weight in 17 years!
    My kids think I am amazing and that I have changed so much... emotionally & mentally even more so than physically.

My goal weight is approx. 60-65kgs (since I have such a small frame) and while I am getting there, I still feel like I have so far to go! I am hoping that Duromine will help to get me down to goal, but have check ups with my Doctor weekly now to assess continuing on the 40mg as my weight continues to go down, or if I need to drop to a lower dosage as my weight gets lower. Luckily, I have very minimal side effects at all, apart from functioning perfectly on 4-5 hours sleep per night, (but I've never been someone who needs much sleep anyway) and having heaps of energy - most of the time.

I really wish I had found this site sooner in my journey, but now that I have, I look forward to reading up as much as I can.

So, for now, I better get back to work.

#1 FiFiFish, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. christine V

christine V Member
    Registered

Wow well done!! What an inspiring story. My doctor recently reduced my dose from 30mg to 15mg as I was copping all the side effects. However I'm scared the 15mg wont work as well as the 30mg. Did you lose weight on the 15mg? Did you notice a huge difference when you went up to 30/40mg re; appetite control etc etc

3. FiFiFish

FiFiFish Member
    Registered

Hi Christine
    When I first started on the 15mg, I did have some side effects, but it didn't take long for them to settle. I didn't notice the appetite control as much and think I was only successful because I was trying really hard to be good and lose the weight. On the 15mg, I was never truly hungry at any point, but found I would just snack on bits and pieces all the time and it was really hard to keep track of my calories. The best thing I did on the second month of 15mg was cut out all sugar completely during that month, then when I had my 2 wk break, I had hardly any and when I was on my 3rd month of 15mg, the eating got much easier. I think I was also got over the "habit" of eating by that time too.
    30mg was definitely much better, but when I first started, I would take the tablet before going to sleep (approx. 11-11.30pm) each night. I was waking a little earlier each morning, but nothing too noticeable. I found that better as I found the side affects didn't kick in until quite a few hours after taking them.
    On the 40mg 4 days now (taking them when I wake at 5.30am) and the appetite control was noticeable immediately. I am still going to sleep at the usual time, but do notice increased energy in the evenings.
    Regarding eating now... I've opted not to work out too much this month as I have so much happening and won't get the chance, so I am not too worried about a low appetite.
    Each day I am having 3 pieces fruit and 4 small meals. I haven't had a chance to work out the calories for the past couple days, but will look at that over the weekend and see where I'm at.

shellyisme and christine V like this.
  4. christine V

christine V Member
    Registered

Thanks so much for replying. Wishing you the best of luck on your weight loss journey. Don't forget to keep us updated xx

5. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you FiFiFish for your story. It is great to see some people achieve their goals, and you also became healthy! That's amazing! I wish you all the best and no side effects! :)

6. shellyisme

shellyisme Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi FiFiFish wow amazing story and fantastic weight loss congratulations :) ... I am on the 15 mg and have been for 10 weeks now I have lost 14.5kgs I'm very happy about that... :):);) I still have another 25.5 kg to go to get to my first goal weight :) I too should be r 60 -65 kg however I will be happy with 70 kg lol ..... It's great to read your story and see how far you have come...it's inspiring & gives me hope that I will make it too ..have a great week :)

christine V likes this.
  7. FiFiFish

FiFiFish Member
    Registered

Wow shellisme, 14.5kgs in 10 wks is great!

I hope everyone is having a good week.

My main goal is to encourage and inspire others that it really can be done, with dedication.
    There is so much bad talk about regarding duromine and so many people scoff if the find out you are taking it, but at the end of the day, it is really an individual choice and what is right for you.

Having been overweight all my life, I still struggle at times believing that I can ever be anything but overweight. The closer I get to my goals, the more I seem to sabotage myself and start doubting myself. Taking the duromine though, does help me to keep on track. In the past, knowing that it is working and that when life gets in the way of all my good intentions and plans of going to the gym etc, that I can keep going with my weight loss without "falling off the wagon" makes it a lot easier to feel good about things and to just get back to the gym when time permits.

I think I am at a point now, where the duromine is doing little to help me, having not budged in weight for almost a week. I'm considering a break for another week or two (perhaps) if I don't see any loss at my weigh in next Monday.
    Might be that I need to really mix things up again.