My Duromine Journey

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by queenieduromine, May 5, 2013.

1. queenieduromine

queenieduromine New Member
    Registered

Hi everyone

I am new here... this is my first week on duromine and have decided that I really want to share my journey as I have found it extremely helpful to read everyone else's experiences! Hopefully my posts will be helpful to others as well :)

Firstly, some stats about me:
    Height: 168cm
    Duromine starting weight: 105.6kg (1st May 2013)
    Highest weight ever: 111kg (2010)
    Lowest weight ever (as an adult): 69kg (2003)
    Goal weight: 70kg
    Stretch: 60 - 65kg
    Mini Goal: 95.6kg by June 30

A bit of background into my weight struggles
    During my teen years I played so much sport that I was able to eat huge portions of food and basically whatever I wanted without consequence. So, once I stopped playing sports, I still ate the same amount/type of food but was not doing the exercise to burn it off. I quickly crept up to 86kg but then managed to get down to 69kg by following the weight watchers points system. However, this required extreme will power and I felt like I was starving 24/7. Needless to say, I did not maintain this weight for long (probably about a year). Then I got into a serious relationship and got way too comfortable - my weight slowly increased from 69kg all the way up to 111kg (took about 5 years to get there). At the end of last year (2012) I managed to get down to 98.1kg just through trying different diet after diet (from Atkins to weight watcher points again etc.). But I really let myself go over Christmas 2012 and Easter 2013 and quickly crept back up to 106kg (only a week before starting Duromine I was 106kg). I think some of this weight is muscle as I started exercising quite a lot again. It is still frustrating.

ANYWAY... as you can see my weight has just been up and down like crazy.

Duromine Week 1
    I did not even know Duromine existed until my doctor told me about it. He prescribed me 30mg. Today I am on day 5 and have already lost 2.1kg. I am sooo happy with that. I think it is a good start. It is not as massive a loss as others but I am happy with any movement. I have been weighing myself everyday which I know I probably shouldn't do but I can't help it.

1/05/13 - 105.6kg
    2/05/13 - 104.9kg
    3/05/13 - 104.4kg
    4/05/13 - 104.0kg
    5/05/13 - 103.5kg

I always weigh myself first thing in the morning - about 8:30am and take my tablet at about this time every morning as well.

I was very nervous to take duromine after reading about the possible negative side effects. However, so far I have to say I LOVE Duromine. I actually feel better than ever. I feel like a normal person again who actually has energy to get off the couch and not constantly be hungry 24/7. It is so freeing to not be thinking about food all the time. My appetite has completely gone, I have no cravings for sweet things whatsoever and I feel full after eating a normal sized meal (at least half the size of what I used to eat, if not more than half). I think Duromine is perfect for me as it is stopping me eating big meals. I am eating until I am full and then stopping. Last night I really had to force myself to eat dinner. However, I am making sure that I eat 3 meals a day plus a small snack in the arvo to keep my metabolism up. I'll put a sample meal plan below. Oh, also I have stopped drinking tea (used to drink 2 or 3 cups a day) as I was worried caffeine + duromine would mean no sleep.

Side effects I have experienced: The first day I became quite euphoric about 2 hours after taking the pill (first day only), I have also had a bit of a dry mouth, but it has not been too bad. Sleeping has been fairly good - the first night I woke up for about 30 seconds every 2 hours. Last night I woke up at 3:30am and couldn't get back to sleep until 7am which was annoying but the other nights have been fine. It is nice waking up so alert in the morning and not groggy. Some other things: have found myself losing my train of thought quite a few times - usually in the mornings a few hours after taking the tablet. Stronger body odour smell under armpits (no increase in sweating but just a bit stronger smell - nothing too bad - I hope).

Samle Day Week 1:
    2 litres of water minimum
    Exercise - a 2km swim most days (I used to be a swimmer so this is preferable for me. I might talk about this a bit more in a future post). Other exercise that I did this week: 1 hour walks with dog and 1 hour aerobics classes at the gym.
    Breakfast 9am: Bowl of special K cereal (approx 40g) with skim milk
    Lunch 1pm: mountain bread wrap with chicken, low fat cheese, tomato relish, avocado.
    Afternoon 3pm: weight watchers meusli bar
    Dinner: Oven baked skinless salmon fillet, asparagus, snow peas, broccolli, mashed potato (small amount). Followed by a forme french vanilla yoghurt tub.

If you have any suggestions for what I am eating that would be great. I hope what I am doing is ok. It seems to be working so far.

Anyway, sorry this has been REALLY LONG. I will try and post at the end of 7 days and my progress from then on.

Thanks to anyone who read all of this

crazycat likes this.
  2. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome welcome welcome!
    You will do great, glad you're getting started! Waiting for your updates!:)
    And don't give up, please.

3. queenieduromine

Registered

Thanks Kate :)

Time for an update: I am in the middle of week 4 at the moment. At the end of week 3 I was 4.6kg down. So that is very close to 5kg in 3 weeks. Very happy with that.

Week 1 loss: 2.8kg
    Week 2 loss: 1.1kg
    Week 3 loss: 700g

SW: 105.6
    Weight at the end of week 3: 101.2

I am now trying not to weigh myself everyday - in week 2 and 3 sometimes my weight would fluctuate up by 500-700g on some days and it would be very disheartening, so I think it is best if I just weigh in once a week now.

Not really having any side effects at all now, dry mouth feeling has gone (or I have just gotten really used to it?). But good news is my appetite is still greatly reduced (not as reduced as week 1 but still a massive difference to pre-duromine appetite levels), I will sometimes get hunger pangs now but usually only when I haven't eaten for 4-6 hours and even when I do get a rumbling stomach I don't get the light headedness or shakiness that used to go along with it. I used to feel a need to eat desparately and would need to eat a lot before I was satisfied. I can calmly make healthy choices now and not overdo it.

As you can see above the amount I am losing each week seems to be decreasing. Now that I am used to duromine does any one have any tips to stay on track or little adjustments I can make? Maybe my portion sizes are getting slightly bigger.

4. queenieduromine

Registered

End of week 4 - did not move at all. Very disappointed. Exactly the same weight as the end of week 3 (101.2kg). Feeling a bit disheartened, but at least it wasn't a gain I guess.

My only explanation is that I have had the cold this past week so have not gone to the gym or moved off the couch much. Plus I was sleeping in until around 11am so my regular meal times were all out of whack and so my meals were different because of these reasons as well.

Not going to give up though, straight back into it this week. Back to gym and regular sleeping patterns and meals.

crazycat likes this.
  5. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh...So sorry about that:(
    Get well soon! And yes, I think this was the reason. The body needs strength to struggle with disease.
    But you will move on, don't worry. Once you get back to your diet schedule & gym sessions, your body will continue losing weight.
    Wish you easy journey and have a great day, Sun!;)

6. crazycat

crazycat New Member
    Registered

Hi Queenie
    Great to hear of your results, I have just started on 15mg today, will copy your idea with my background figures
    Height: 163cm
    Current size 18 NZ
    Duromine starting weight: 96.8kg (4 June 2013)
    Highest weight ever: 120kg (2000)
    Lowest weight ever (as an adult): 80kg (2007)
    Goal weight: 75kg
    Stretch: 70kg
    Mini Goal: 90kg by 1/8/2013
    Wedding in beginning of Oct 2013!!!

Soooo much weight background, will maybe share later. Had 2 weeks on Duromine 7 years ago, but due to only eating an apple a day (duh! I know) by the second week I could barely get off the couch and blamed the pill! My ex husband used them instead and along with 2 x gym per day, very strict food (eg porridge for breakfast, tuna for lunch, egg on toast for dinner ) he very quickly lost 30 kg then broke up with me after 17 yrs! Bahaha damn pills, but Im glad to be rid of him now, and have myself a lovely new man. Just looking to be at least a size 16 (cant even bring myself to dream of being a size 14 as havent been that for 20 years!)

Looking for some support from others on the journey, as I will probably keep this secret from the world as I cant be bothered with the judgements!

Crazycat

ton11x likes this.
  7. Mum86

Mum86 Member
    Registered

I also am new to all of this and I think your blog is great! Keep up the good work! Stay positive :) ill be following you as you sound exactly like me lol it's great to have support when you need it and I myself know this as I don't have much support at home :( but I'm doing this for me and I can't wait to reach my goal :)

8. Mum86

Mum86 Member
    Registered

My starting weight was 110kgs , my now weight is 99.6kg my mini goal weight is 85kg and my goal weight is 65kg so far I have lost an average of 3kg per week started fitness and eating healthy 2 weeks before duromine and am now at week 2 of duromine and have lost 10.4kg I am very happy but last 3 days haven't got under 99.6kg but I think it may be because I done a lot of strengthening excercise this week (weights etc..) and am more toning than burning fat?? I'm not sure but haven't gained any this week lol I did however have 4 days off duromine and gained 3 kg only because my body wasn't ready and I binge ate :( but knocked it back off in a week this slip up made me even more determined to stick with it!

9. crazycat

crazycat New Member
    Registered

Mum 86 have you taken in to account water retention during certain times of the month? Building muscle will certainly slow your results on the scales but you will be shrinking cms and having the long term effect of those muscles burning cals day and night for you.
    It's anyone else waking during the night? I fall asleep easy enough but around 3am onwards is fitful.
    I heard some one suggest rescue remedy for the crankiness and they also have a rescue remedy for help with sleep.

10. Mum86

Mum86 Member
    Registered

I also find I am heaps tired by around 9:30pm If I can't fall asleep when I need I get cranky I do go into a deep sleep then around 4am awake and find it difficult to get back to sleep I have my alarm set for 6am to have my tablet.. And almost always I'm up before this! I think the longer you take them the easier the sleep gets its a mind over matter situation sometimes too I believe as the first week on them I kept thinking ill get no sleep so was restless 2nd week in it didn't cross my mind I just acted as normal and forgot I was on them found this easier and sleep is getting better :)

11. queenieduromine

Registered

Hi guys. Thanks for reading my posts!
    Crazycat - nice to hear about you! Hope you are going well so far on 15mg? And congrats on your upcoming wedding! You can do it! You have heaps of time to reach your goal. I also have not told anyone that I am using duromine as I don't need their judgements! It is the first thing that has worked for me in years so I am going to keep at it! Nice to get support on this site though.

Mum86 - you are doing SOO amazing so far!! So please don't give up and don't worry if you have a few bad days of eating! I had a few weeks where I didn't lose any weight and I think it was due to doing a lot of strength work at the gym. ALl of a sudden this week the weight has started dropping again and people are really starting to make comments about my weight loss now. The sleep definitely gets better! I tend to take longer to fall asleep but once I am asleep it is no problem. Please keep updating me with how you are going :)

End of week 7 update: 99.5kg. Finally under 100kg for the first time in years. Total lost in 7 weeks = 6.1kg. I am happy with that. Perhaps not as fast as others but I can't complain! I lost around 400g in week 6 and about 900g in week 7 without really changing my exercise or eating routine.

12. Mum86

Mum86 Member
    Registered

Thank you crazy cat :) you can see how my updates are going on my blog :) weigh in is tomorrow I'm a little nervous!! Lol you also are doing terrific any loss is good! And that is a pretty good number! Keep it up your doing really well Hun!!

13. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Queenie, I think you do great! Little steps can lead to great results.
    6.1kg is good, even within 7 weeks. Hold your head up high!

14. crazycat

crazycat New Member
    Registered

Hey gals
    Great first week on Duromine 15mg

Starting weight 96.8
    week 1 92.5 ( loss 4.3kg)

So happy to have the scales moving, seriously moving after months on superhealthy eating and nothing budges. Cant figure out why, Im trawling the web to try and figure out why this is working so well and others havent

Have been weighing myself every day, (naughty I know but it sure keeps me on track and motivated) and can have 1.4kg fluctuation day to day, I think that correlates to if I have carbs (like pancake for dessert the night before) so I reckon low carb forever may be my secret to keeping it off.

Not been able to excersize as kids sick and torrential rain in Ak this week! Next week will start walking in am again.

Eating... well I have been usually eating the following, even if I dont feel hungry occasionally.
    Breakfast:Instant porridge made with milk, occasionally a small apple as well
    Lunch: Boiled egg, natural yoghurt with stevia and frozen berries
    afternoon tea: boiled egg, apple if needed
    Dinner: small portion of normal dinner, minus the carbs, or protein shake occasionally

Oh yes I also take Usana - high quality multivits, Fish oil, and Max (glutathione to repair liver).
    After my friend had her lap band she had to regularly take good multi vits.

Not drinking as much water as I should tho.
    Ive been reading up on the post op diet for lap band patients. My reason it, honestly we will naturally eat very little if duromine does what it is supposed to do. Same with lap band patients. So what do nutritionists recommend for lap band patients? Really high protein, and low carb. Once they hit their sweet spot, they should be able to eat one cup of food and not get hungry again for 4 hours. By the way, hope no-one is considering a lap band, cos the stats are coming out now that it doesnt work for so many people in long term follow up, the other surgeries are better.

Side effects...
    A head ache on and off some days, only one day was bad enough to think about taking pain meds.
    Feeling a little blue and a little edgy,and not sleeping very well but that could very well personal situation at the moment, will see next week once that settles down.

Better go cook dinner, Great to hear how you all have been doing
    (-:
    Cat

15. queenieduromine

Registered

Hi just a quick update.... I have been off duromine for about 5 weeks as I was on vacation. Did not have any negative side effects going off duromine, except hunger levels came back ofcourse. Still, managed to lose a few kilos. Back on duromine today, already feeling the thirst but otherwise i'm ok, appetite already supressed.

Current weight: 97.7kg
    I didn't quite make my original mini-goal so here is a new one - 90kg by October 6th (2 months from now).

Karen D and Kate like this.
  16. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome back, queenieduromine!
    It's great that you managed to lose some, being off the pills. Not many can do the same.
    Good luck !