My Duromine Journey - 30mg

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Spring, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

Hi Everyone,

I am starting my Duromine journey today, this is my second try with the medicine. I've shared my story with weight loss over the years in the introduction section and I won't repeat again here. Btw, my doctor prescribed me with the 30mg Duromine for a month and 30 tablets of Xenical to be taken once a day before my heaviest meal.

Firstly, here are the stats:
    Day 1
    Height: 159cm
    SW: 98.2kg
    CW: 98.2kg
    GW: 80kg
    Mini Goal: 90kg
    Dream Weight: 60kg

Today, I woke up at 6.45am and took the first pill. I didn't take breakfast and took a light lunch at 1pm, consisting of boiled mushrooms, tofu, fishcake and a hotdog without the bread. Throughout the morning I have been trying to take sips of water every few minutes to prevent from dry mouth. I am feeling awake and energised at the moment and writing this post during my lunch break.

I'm not sure if my body will reacts with Duromine well this time round since it's a second try. I sure hope it does. I am meeting my cousin later for dinner so I hope I won't be eating too much.

I am trying to do the 8/16 intermittent fasting method which restricts my food intake timing to 8 hours a day. I will be choosing to eat between 12noon to 8pm everyday as I really can't stand skipping dinner. I hope I can stick to this eating pattern until I reached my target weight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I plan to update my progress once a week after my weigh-in to keep track of things. Hope to keep myself motivated by reading more success stories and experiences by other users. I am also planning of trying Zumba session this weekend and hitting my 10k steps everyday. Hopefully I get can good results this time round.

Rava and Jaydeblue like this.
  2. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

Today is my first weekly weight-in. Here are the results of my 1st week on Duromine:

1st Week: 93kg (5.2kg loss)

CW: 93kg
    Total Loss: 5.2kg

I usually take the pill every morning at 6.45am. In the first 3 days, i stayed up till 3am. From the 4th day onwards, I felt tired at around 10-11pm so i slept early. I feel that it is a good way to adjust my lifestyle to sleep early and wake early.

I didn't feel much of other side effects, except for a little dry mouth which prompts me to drink more water. I always had difficulties drinking 2 litres of water a day and I barely managed 1 litre a day. With Duromine and occasional dry mouth (especially when I just wake up), I managed to take in around 1.5 litres a day. I know it is not sufficient for a healthy lifestyle but I am trying my best to drink as much so as to prevent any dehydration.

I'm not sure if it's due to me taking Duromine before which built up immunity to the drug in my body. But I realised that it doesn't work as well as it used to when I first try it 2 years ago. I don't feel hungry all the time but I still have appetite for food when I see them, sometimes I still do have some cravings but I realised that I am able to control them. It does help in controlling my snacking habit between meals and I am able to choose healthier snacks to munch on. At the same time, I am doing the 8/16 intermittent fasting so I don't take breakfast, just lunch, dinner and a tea break (around 3.30pm to 4pm) everyday between 12noon to 8pm.

I made an effort to eat clean such as boiled or steamed meat, egg and vegetables or soups. As I can't take in alot of food in one meal (possibly due to Duromine and that I am a bariatric patient), these low caloric foods caused my calorie intake to be extremely low. Thus I need to make up the calories through tea break snacks such as nuts, protein bars, dark chocolate with higher than 80% cocoa (about 3g of sugar per serving) and oat granola. Even with these extra calories, I barely hit 800-900 calories a day. I focused on mainly protein dense foods such as fish, chicken and eggs, as well as healthy but low fat and even lower carbohydrates. As I was a diabetes patient a year ago, even though the blood sugar level is in control right now, my doctor told me that I will never be declared fully recovered as diabetes can always come back if I fail to watch my diet. Thus, I am also very cautious of the amount of sugar I am consuming.

I hope to keep up with clean eating for the rest of the 3 months on Duromine but I know it will be difficult due to the various upcoming social events. I have a family gathering tomorrow and I hope I won't be tempted to eat unhealthy/sugary foods. A loss of 5.2kg in the 1st week is considered quite alot although I know that most of it will be water weight. Let's just see how things go and hopefully I will continue to lose weight.

Till next week~

Rava and Michelle Greiss like this.
  3. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

Today is my second weekly weigh-in. Here are the results of my 2nd week on Duromine:

2nd Week: 91.2kg (1.8kg loss)

CW: 91.2kg
    Total Loss: 7kg

For this week, I kept up the routine of taking the pill every morning at 6.45am. By the time around 10pm, I started yawning and could fall asleep. I tried sleeping close to 11pm but woke up in the middle of the night around 2-3am. Luckily I managed to return to sleep again and wake up at 6.45am. I'm not sure why this happened for the past 3 nights now. I will continue to monitor my sleeping pattern for the next week and see if this issue improves. Else I'm thinking of taking the pill at 7.30am or 8am instead so that I can last till 11pm before I start yawning.

Still not much of other side effects, except for the usual dry mouth in the morning. I'm still trying my best to take in as much water/liquid as I can, I probably hit about 1.2 to 1.5 litres a day on average. I still don't feel hungry all the time but I'm eating on a schedule in order to hit my calorie goal per day, during my intermittent fasting routine of eating between 12noon to 8pm.

Food wise I think it was a pretty good week, where I tried having wholesome salads for a few of my meals. The salads include lettuce, sliced chicken, lentils, edamame beans, a scoop of mash potato and sometimes broccoli and corn kernels. Snacks wise I'm trying low calorie protein bars and protein chips, seaweed snacks and roasted nuts. However, there are a few days where my calorie intake dropped to about 550 to 650 calories and I felt fatigue and lack of energy especially in the evening. The worst thing is that the weight loss seems to hit a stall for 2-3 days. I then adjusted my food choices and make sure to increase the calorie intake to be above 800 calories and I feel better now. The weight seems to start going down again. Another problem that occurred is constipation especially when my calorie intake is too low. Thus, I tried to introduce more fibre foods into my diet and it seems like it's improving. I will continue to monitor this for the next week and see how things go. Although the weight loss has slowed down considerably this week, I am still positive that I will be able to lose weight with this regime.

I managed to keep within my calorie goal during the last family gathering but broke my intermittent fasting time allowance by 1.5 hours so I compensated by eating later at 1.30pm the next day. I'm not sure if that works but it seems like the weight is still decreasing so I'm not too bothered. The next social event is next Saturday and that's after my next weekly weigh-in. It's a dinner event so I foresee that the eating time will last until at least 9pm. Ohh well, just gotta eat later the next day haha.

Till next week~

4. Ron

Ron New Member
    Registered

As long as it keeps going down your on a winner. Good luck sounds like you're doing well. Enjoy the journey.

Rava likes this.
  5. Dre

Dre Active Member
    Registered

hello Spring
    very nice to meet you.
    i have been on this wonderful drug for a while now,
    i know what you are going through, keep up the great work!
    you are doing amazing well done.

always remember sweety,
    life is short and we must fight for everything in life, especially the things we want!
    Duromine will fight with you, if you believe..
    i know this because i see it every day x

hugs
    Dre

Rava likes this.
  6. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words. :)

Today is my third weekly weigh-in. Here are the results of my 3rd week on Duromine:

3rd Week: 89.5kg (1.7kg loss)

CW: 89.5kg
    Total Loss: 8.7kg
    Mini Goal 1: 90kg (completed 5/10/2018)
    Mini Goal 2: 88kg (Hopefully by 21/10/2018 for my friend's wedding)

In this week, I take the pill every morning between 6.45am to 7am. Even though I am tired and slept early between 10pm to 11pm but I kept waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes at 1am or 4am. Luckily I still feel refreshed in the morning when I wake up for work. I really hope this situation improves in the 2nd month or I'll plan to wake up earlier to take the pill like 6am, so that the effect will wear off at night.

I'm still struggling with my water intake even with the usual dry mouth syndrome, I'm averaging about 1.2 to 1.5 litres a day. I still don't feel hungry all the time and am consciously eating on a schedule, prolonging my intermittent fasting hours from eating between 12noon - 8pm to 1pm - 7pm.

I'm still eating clean this week with mostly chicken salads. However, I'm worried that I might get sick of salads soon and I'm running out of ideas of what to eat. I don't cook my own meals due to time constraints and it's too late to cook after work as I wanted to have my dinner by 7pm. I will need to explore the area around my workplace for suitable and healthy meals. My daily calorie intake is still between 600 to 800 calories. I know it seems too low but I just can't force myself to eat more in fear of putting on weight.

Even though I report my weight weekly, in actual fact I can't resist to weigh myself every 2 days to see if there's progress. My constipation problem is in control after taking in more fibre foods into my diet so I'll continue that. The weightloss seems slow but steady and I'm pretty satisfied. My aim is to lose 1kg per week but I know it will get more difficult as the weight goes down.

I'm happy to hit my first mini goal of 90kg and have set another mini goal of 88kg which is due on my friend's wedding on 21/10/2018 where I'm going to be her bridesmaid. I really hope I can achieve that and it will really boost my confidence if I do.

Tomorrow is my next social event so I foresee that the eating time will last until at least 9pm. Gotta keep in mind not to overindulge in all the good food.

That's all for the week, till next time~

Rava and Dre like this.
  7. Michelle Greiss

Michelle Greiss New Member
    Registered

Hi Speing,

Congratulations on your achievement so far! It’s sounda like you’re really doing well.

I am trying intermittent fasting as well. Originally I was aiming to eat between 12-6pm, but the last 3 nights I haven’t managed to eat before 7-8pm, it just depends on when I can get my little one (6 month old) to bed.

Have you found that moving you’re eating timeframes helps or hinders you’re Weightloss? I’m worried about eating so late/ close to bedtime.

Rava likes this.
  8. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

Today is my fourth weekly weigh-in. Here are the results of my 4th week on Duromine:

4th Week: 87.4kg (2.1kg loss)

CW: 87.4kg
    Total Loss: 10.8kg
    Mini Goal 2: 88kg (completed 12/10/2018)
    Mini Goal 3: 85kg (Hopefully by 3 Nov 2018 for my short staycation trip)

In this week, I noticed that the situation of waking up in the middle of the night improved slightly and I wake up before my alarm rings at about 6am. But I'm fine with that I can just take my own sweet time to prepare for work.

I'm struggling with my water intake as usual, but I don't feel really dehydrated so I guess that's alright. The appetite supressant is still working and it enables me to keep to my intermittent fasting schedule so I’m happy with that.

I'm still eating clean this week but some of the days I take protein bars for dinner when I don’t have time to buy food due to overtime work. I also managed to explore most of the eateries near my workplace which have some selection of healthy food for my lunch choices which is a delight. My daily calorie intake is still between 600 to 800 calories. I might only increase it if I get below 80kg.

This week I managed a 2.1kg weightloss as I incorporated swimming (3 times this week) as well as light cardio at my office gym (cycling and threadmill jogging). I realised that I need to take in more calories especially protein/carbs before exercising else I will feel very tired or weak after the exercise. On one occasion I felt like I might even faint which got me so scared that I took a mental note to take in at least a protein bar before heading to swim.

I'm delighted to hit my second mini goal of 88kg more than a week before the target date and have set another mini goal of 85kg which is due on my upcoming short staycation getaway on 3/11/2018. I will continue the exercise routine and monitor my calorie intake to balance the energy expenditure.

Rava likes this.
  9. Ron

Ron New Member
    Registered

Great work well done. Isn't it amazing how your thoughts on food change. I also had trouble with sleeping and doing too much. I had one of those dizzy spells. I ended up taking a few days off work. The doc also recommended backing to every 2nd day.
    Best of luck keep up the good work.

10. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Registered

Holy Crap Balls! You are doing amazing - 10.8kg in 4 weeks is fantastic!

I hear you! Water is my nemesis! I struggle on a regular basis - I am actually going to research some apps to remind me to drink :)

I know you have had bariatric surgery in the past, and good on you for doing something that in the long run makes you a healthier person! I had a lap band surgery nearly 12 years ago, and even though years later, I ended up having complications I am extremely grateful that I was able to stop all medications for Diabetes Type II.

The only thing I might suggest is that as you do more exercise, look at increasing your calorie intake. I am sure you went through all the info with your surgeon and nutritionist about what your body needs to function normally, and I know you can only eat little amounts at a time, so just keep moving onward and upwards - but definitely look at increasing your calories as you increase and start to maintain an exercise routine. You are doing great!!

Eeek!! hope this doesn't happen again - pretty scary right *hugs*. Protein and water chickie!

Also, if you haven't already maybe take your measurements? If the scales do slow down, I bet you will still keep on losing cm's and inches!

Amazing! Cant wait to hear more about your journey!

11. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

Today is my weekly weigh-in. Here are the results of my week on Duromine:

5th Week: 86.4kg (1kg loss)

CW: 86.4kg
    Total Loss: 11.8kg
    Mini Goal 3: 85kg (Hopefully by 3 Nov 2018 for my short staycation trip)

In this week, I went for my review with the doctor and he’s happy that I have lost 10 kg in the 1st month. He prescribed me another 6 weeks’ worth of Duromine as he will be away during the period of my next review. My sleep quality seems to improve however I did wake up once in the past 2 nights. I’m trying my best to sleep early before midnight so that I can get enough rest for the next day.

I'm still trying to eating clean this week but there were 3 days where my office held celebrations and I did take some less healthy options. I still count my daily calorie intake even during the celebrations and I think the intake is still between 600 to 800 calories. Hopefully the bad foods don’t stay in my body for long.

This week I only managed a 1kg weightloss as I only did swimming 2 times this week and a 1-hour gym session. I still managed to walk at least 10k steps a day so I hope that helps. It s getting increasingly difficult to lose weight although I know it gets harder as you lose more.

I'm preparing for my good friend’s wedding this Sunday so I hope to be in my best state. I’ll try to avoid indulging in all the nice food during the reception lol.

Rava likes this.
  12. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Registered

The weight is just falling off you @Spring - huge congrats!

Hope you have a fab time at your friends wedding :). If you do indulge, hit the dance floor a little more and burn it off!

13. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

Thanks Rava for the encouragement!

5th Week: 86.4kg (1kg loss)
    6th Week: 86.4kg (No loss)

CW: 86.4kg
    Total Loss: 11.8kg
    Mini Goal 3: 85kg (Hopefully by 13 Nov 2018 at the 2 months mark)
    Dream Weight: 65kg

In this week, my sleep quality has improved and I didn't wake up in the middle of the night anymore. I get tired at 11pm so I tried to sleep early.

I had my 1st stall in weight this week, however I measured my body composition and I lost about 1% of fat and gained 1% of muscle mass lol. I also lost around 1cm off my chest, waist and stomach so I guess it makes up for the weight stall because muscles weigh more than fats. I went to gym 4 times this week, for about an hour per day. This is probably why I gained muscles.

I had my cheat day on my friend's wedding last Sunday and I only stopped food intake at around 9.30pm. The calorie count that day was close to 1400, I sure hope this doesn't hinder my weight loss progress too much. Some of the days my calorie intake was really low, between 500 to 600, which I felt contributed to the weight stall. I read up on metabolism slowing down due to extremely low calorie intake (known commonly as starvation mode) and I am trying to increase it to 700 to 800 now or even to 1000 calories. I also read up on metabolic confusion where they talked about a method called caloric/carbs cycling. This method is a diet plan that lets you take healthy carbs on one day increasing calorie intake in order to boost/spike your metabolism, then cutting off carbs and eating more healthy fats and protein the next day, changing the eating pattern for a week. This method is supposed to confuse your body to increase metabolic rate to burn more fats. I'm a little skeptical to try this in fear of gaining weight. But I might start introducing more carbs into my diet maybe twice a week to see if it helps.

I've adjusted my current mini goal date to 13 Nov 2018 (2 months mark on Duromine) instead as I don't think I will reach goal by 3 Nov 2018 which is 1 week away. I also increased my dream weight to be more realistic as I think 65kg will be almost into the acceptable weight range which I feel is good enough for me.

My next social event is tomorrow where I will be meeting my friends to visit a pop-up carnival with good food, games and flea market. I’ll try to resist the temptation to indulge in all the nice food tomorrow, though I might try some of the more interesting food. I will continue to visit the gym for 4 days next week and do some zumba this Sunday, hopefully I can lose some weight before my staycation next weekend.

Rava likes this.
  14. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Registered

You are doing so well @Spring :)

Lean muscle gain is fab!! and the cm's lost is awesome!!

I cant wait to hear how you go with this! I just recently have been looking into something very similar to increase your metabolic burn. Would love anymore info if you feel like sharing :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with adjusting your goals. I am a big fan of re-assess and re-evaluate. I like the fact that your goal is now more realistic to you, hence it makes it IMHO more achievable to YOU.

Have fun at your event :)

15. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

Thanks Rava for the kind and encouraging words as usual, sorry I didn't have much information on the metabolic confusion topic as I am just experimenting with caloric intake for now. I will let you know if there's results!

Sorry for the late update as I went on a staycation and there were too much stuff to clear and pack after that.

Today is not my weekly weigh-in but I will be just updating for last Friday's stats. Here are the results of my week on Duromine:

1st Week 21/9/2018: 93kg (5.2kg loss)
    2nd Week 28/9/2018: 91.2kg (1.8kg loss)
    3rd Week 5/10/2018: 89.5kg (1.7kg loss)
    4th Week 12/10/2018: 87.4kg (2.1kg loss)
    5th Week 19/10/2018: 86.4kg (1kg loss)
    6th Week 26/10/2018: 86.4kg (No loss)
    7th Week 2/11/2018: 85.7kg (0.7kg loss)

CW: 85.7kg
    Total Loss: 12.5kg
    Mini Goal 3: 85kg (Hopefully by 13 Nov 2018 at the 2 months mark)

In this week, my sleep quality is pretty good, just that I slept late around 12-1am some of the nights. I need to remind myself to sleep earlier to get enough rest to prevent prolonged deprivation of sleep.

I finally broke my stall in weight this week, although it's just 0.7kg loss. But a loss is a loss and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I also measured my body composition and I lost about 0.5% of fat and gained 0.3% of muscle mass lol. Not really significant loss but I'm still contented. I also lost around 2cm off my waist and 1 cm off my stomach. I went to gym 4 times this week, for about an hour per day.

I had a cheat weekend with social events and gatherings involving beer, desserts and fatty foods. I did try to keep to my intermittent fasting schedule though. Calories count were around 1000 to 1200 on the weekends. I ate pretty clean and well on the weekdays, even stopping food intake well before 7pm. I am not sure if the spike in calories intake over the weekends contributed to the metabolic confusion state for my body but since there seemed to be progress in my weightloss I might continue increasing my calorie intake just on the weekends. Certainly not too much but more than my weekdays and see how it goes.

I seem to be pretty close to hitting my current mini goal so hopefully I'll make it by 13 Nov 2018 (2 months mark on Duromine). I realised that going to the gym does help a lot as I feel that the muscles help in burning fats much faster. Keeping my fingers crossed. I also decided to add my weigh-in date to the above in order to keep track of things.

My next social event is my 4-days staycation over the weekend (which is actually over now but I'll update my progress again after tomorrow's weigh in).

That's all for last week, till tomorrow~

Ron, MelbourneMary and Rava like this.
  16. Spring

Spring New Member
    Registered

1st Week 21/9/2018: 93kg (5.2kg loss)
    2nd Week 28/9/2018: 91.2kg (1.8kg loss)
    3rd Week 5/10/2018: 89.5kg (1.7kg loss)
    4th Week 12/10/2018: 87.4kg (2.1kg loss)
    5th Week 19/10/2018: 86.4kg (1kg loss)
    6th Week 26/10/2018: 86.4kg (No loss)
    7th Week 2/11/2018: 85.7kg (0.7kg loss)
    8th Week 9/11/2018: 83.5kg (2.2kg loss)

CW: 83.5kg
    Total Loss: 14.7kg
    Mini Goal 3: 85kg (completed 9/11/2018)
    Mini Goal 4: 82kg (Hopefully by 24 Nov 2018 for my good friend's wedding)

In this week, due to my 4 days staycation, I didn't sleep much for most nights, probably clocked an average of 6 hours sleep per night. However, I still feel energetic in the day so I am not too worried. I also managed to sleep more after I am back from vacation.

I got a shock when I stepped on the scale this morning, it's a whopping 2.2kg loss! That's my highest loss in a week after the initial week of losing water weight. I really can't believe how the weight can drop suddenly. I even tried on a different scale to compare, lol. I am so happy to complete my mini goal before the set date. So I set another mini goal of 82kg, hopefully to be achieved by 24 Nov 2018 for my good friend's wedding where I will be meeting alot of my former colleagues and friends so it will be nice to look my best. :) I also lost another cm off my waist, chest and butt. I think that going to the gym really helps and I even went to the gym at the hotel during my vacation (which is a first time for me in my entire life). I also felt that my stamina has improved slightly and I am able to run longer on the threadmill without a break (from 20 mins to 30 mins).

So basically I had 3 cheat days during the vacation, eating good food amounting to around 1000 to 1200 kcals a day. I even broke my intermittent fasting regime during these 3 days and had buffet breakfast provided by the hotel. Thus, I am shocked at how much I have lost this week. I got a feeling that the spike in calories intake during the vacation contributed to the metabolic confusion state for my body which helped in weightloss. Once I am back from vacation, I resumed my IF regime as well as back to eating clean/low calories. I will continue to increase my calorie intake just on the weekends and monitor the progress.

I am currently at my lowest weight in probably about the last 15 years. I am really excited to continue losing and feel extremely motivated. I want to try alot of new things that I have never had the chance or the courage to try before, such as skiing and maybe rock climbing? I can feel that life will become much more interesting and fulfilling.

Recently, one of my NSVs would be buying loads of new clothes as the old ones are falling off me and I have donated a few bags of clothes away. I am trying to refrain from buying too much just in case I continue to lose weight and need to buy new ones again.

My next social event is this sunday which I will be attending a simple wedding lunch so I don't see much of a problem. There is also a celebration next weekend where my friend's new born child turns 1 month old. There's just so much events going on in the month of November and upcoming December so I need to be mindful of the food choices as well as staying on track with the regular exercises.

Louise Kaye and Rava like this.
  17. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Registered

How fantastic! Huge congrats @Spring you have basically busted out a 15kg loss!!

In regards to trying new things - never wait - just do it :). You have most definitely got this! Have fun at the wedding lunch :)

Louise Kaye likes this.