My Duromine experience

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Duro-Me, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Duro-Me

Duro-Me New Member
    Registered

Hi all so I just started Metermine today at 5:30am this morning (Tas time)

I also started the Pill today as well, so I half expected to explode from the concoction of drugs in my system, but alas not as yet!

I also have to take thyroxine every day for an underactive thyroid. The doctors told me I would lose weight starting on the Thyroid Medication but I have not budged at all! So I have decided to give the Metermine a try and see if it can't help kick start my metabolism and help me change my life for the better.

I am going in to this knowing that it is not the be all and end all, it is merely a tool to assist in making an overall lifestyle change.

I have read a few people getting concerned and some even quitting these tablets because their appetite comes back, I have been told that they are not meant to be appetite suppressants but are to help speed up your metabolism. So in this way though you may have periods of no hunger, the hunger will most likely pop its head in and that is normal because with a faster metabolism you are surely going to process your food faster and in turn return to a belly demanding to be filled! So that is another reason to eat small frequent meals, its satisfies your metabolism and keeps food in your belly. Food is not an evil it is great for our little body houses, we just need to make the right choices in which food we choose.

So I am ensuring I eat, although I don't particularly feel the need, which is nice to know I am controlling my intake for a healthy reason and not just because my out of control crazy brain just wants to eat all the things all the time!
    I have felt a little strange today, nothing major just perhaps a little slow(?) or spacey(?). Early this morning it felt almost as if my ears were blocked, and like I had a very very slight head cold (IYKWIM)
    Also I have been feeling a little like it is an effort to move, again I am not sure if any of these things are due to the Tablets, or even just a psychological thing I am thinking? Like when I took the tablets this morning I felt my heart racing almost instantly and I knew it was my own mind playing up rather than the tablets, because I had read so much from others about it happening I just brought it on myself.
    So I had the tablets this morning at 5:30 then went back to sleep/rest until around 7am, and by this stake there was no more heart racing (I had let myself relax).
    I hadn't felt like breakfast as yet, but I am not usually a bfast eater (bad, I know) but my partner had made bfast so I ate it, but didn't finish my coffee with it? (Tablets or just too much food/drink at once, so early. Not sure)
    It is also TTOTM for me so I tend to feel a little off around then aswell, also that might be why I feel a little sluggish?
    I can't say have had any crazy energy bursts and I haven't felt like exercising (Damn!!) but its been in my system all of 6 hours now, so I am not expecting any crazy miracles!!

When eating at home we eat fairly healthily, and since realising dairy plays havoc on my partners sinuses we have cut that out which is making out meals even healthier (not tempted to add cream, sour cream or cheese to things helps)
    We need to get our portion sizes under control but we have already come along way in that respect, so we are slowly getting there.
    Last night we had sushi for lunch and fruit salad for dinner (warm weather is great for healthy living).
    We have decided that we cant trust ourselves to have JUST ONE little trip to Maccas etc, bottle of coke, or some lollies on a road trip. Because unfortunately ONE always turns to too many.
    Understanding and accepting that I have an addiction to food is helping on my journey, like an alcoholic or drug addict - Just one little slip can take you right off that wagon and down a nasty path.
    I do wish it was better accepted as an addiction, and perhaps even like no advertising for cigarettes, it should also be banned from our screens - but that is another story and rant I wont bore you all with.

So to sum up, 6 hours into day 1: Feeling pretty normal. Feeling motivated but not energised (?). Most of all feeling relieved that I haven't exploded from the little party in my tummy for tablets and glad that my heart isn't getting too excited! Thoughts of food still present, but not hungry - just need to stay in control!

Looking forward to where this journey leads :)

2. Duro-Me

Duro-Me New Member
    Registered

Ok so on to Day 2.
    Yesterday was pretty good, I didn't really feel much different. A little spacey, nothing debilitating. A little less interested in food, though not sure if that was because I felt like that was how I should be feeling or not (?) A few chest pains, but I am thinking that is more due to my bad posture as a result of big boobs, because I do often get chest pains. So perhaps more coincidence more than side effect, but will just keep an eye on it. Didn't have much energy, bit bummed about that, hopefully that will come in time. Generally a pleasant feeling, almost calming all day.

Last night I slept on and off, waking up a fair bit but straight back to sleep, and it never felt like a nuisance, actually I was really comfy so it was like a little reminder each time I woke just how comfy I was. lol.

Today I woke at 5:30 to take my tablet and a quick trip to the loo, felt good. But again, same as yesterday I noticed a little racing heart straight after taking it, definitely putting it down to the little anxiety in me that something bad will happen to me on them, but ended up walking myself through a guided meditation/body relaxation type thing (Never done that before lol) which was really really nice, it almost like I am better able to focus on my thoughts, unlike usually where I am a complete crazy brain, thinking a million thoughts a second and stressing. I am definitely calmer these past two days, very nice! :)
    Again didn't really feel like breakfast (but that's not unusual) but remembering that I want this to be a lifestyle change and bfast is important I dug out some old meal replacement powder I had chucked it in with some skim milk and a banana and chugged that down, It was yummy and I am feeling satisfied.
    Still noticing slight chest tightness, only very light but again I have been doing a bit of cleaning and I put the wrong bra on today, so again I am going to blame the girls before the tabs. Seriously hope I can lose some of the weight from them, swear they weight 10kg alone. :eek: Then if they are still too big once I have dropped the weight, I know I can get surgery so that will have to be done!

Haven't had any headaches as yet, I drank around 3 litres yesterday and keeping it up today. I had 3 coffee's yesterday and so far one this morning, kind of not really even wanting them. Having them either because my partner just makes one or out of habit, such as in the morning.

Still not feeling overly energetic, but I wave been a bit more active on the house work so maybe there is something there, just definitely not speeding or anything that significant.
    I actually don't work out, wish I did but I don't have any exercise equipment (not for lack of trying to convince my OH) and I have done exercise vids in the past and generally feel a bit silly all by myself, also the kids tend to demand things the moment I try doing anything for me!!
    I would love to join the Gym again, but I am so self conscious doing it by myself I know I just wouldn't go, I need a workout buddy!!
    It is horrible and wet here today so perhaps when the weather is a bit nicer I can get out for a good old fashioned walk!!

Summing up, feeling good and feeling positive! - also feeling a little like on a nice pleasant happy drug (Hoping that wont change!!) :eek:

3. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Hi duro-me,
    Glad you've had a good day, I understand about the need for a workout buddy but if you can get yourself to the gym you won't regret it.
    Maybe you won't love it immediately, but you might eventually? Even doing something like a couple of pump classes a week will make a huge difference not only to your weight loss but your muscle definition and body tone. The new gym I've joined doesn't do classes it's just cardio and free weights, but it is 24 hrs and that's what I need. I'll try and replicate the weight training I did in pump classes. Should be amusing if nothing else!

4. Duro-Me

Duro-Me New Member
    Registered

Hi Pirate, I think I will have to consider Gymming, I have an urge to Run and want a treadmill... I know at first I might only get 10 meters haha but then the next time maybe 15, and so on. Is the gym you are going to called Zap! ? we have a few of those around here, might look into it a bit more.

Well yesterday (day2) went along ok again, appetite slightly decreased still, no thoughts of naughty food (yay) A little bit tired and cranky, but it is still TTOTM so my body is probably just not impressed with anything right now haha. Really wanting some energy. Also still having the chest pain, which discorages me from exercise as I don't want to put any more pressure on my heart. Have no decided the pain is duromine related and not just heavy boob syndrome. Slight/light head ache all day, drank SOOO much water, wee'd just as much!!
    Slept great, no issues there!

Day 3: Woke happily at 5:30 (before Duromine it was a struggle to get out of bed before 7am - so yay!) took my tablet and laid in for cuddles with the man. Slight rush after taking pill, but nothing on the other times, definitely mind related.
    Headache, face ache like a sinus infection still, but that went away when I got up out of bed and had a shake. Something else i have noticed since starting, weird jaw feeling, almost like I am clenching but I am not??
    Not feeling very energetic again, but still thinking I want to be active?? Really want a treadmill!! Noticing my head doesn't like me sitting down, as soon as I do its like i want to sleep.
    Slight headache/face ache continues.... feeling hot in the face, and while visiting my parents checked my blood pressure 152/96 (slight hypertension) feeling a bit concerned about that, but don't know what it was like before I started Duromine, Dr never checked :/
    Head ache worsened, chest pain ensued, decided to head home to bed for a lay down and rest, took some panadol and here I am writing this from the comfort of my bed. Headache has lessened to the constant ache I seem to have, still feel my chest - really don't like that aspect, it is making me think twice about them.
    Would love to hear from other who had chest pain, what happened, did it get better, did you see a Dr? I think I would like to go back to my GP to see what he thinks, but its the weekend now so will have to wait till next week.
    So far today I have eaten/drank: Morning Shake (skim milk/MR powder/banana), A banana and one rice cake w/ Almond butter. 2 coffees (thinking I should cut those) plus water, not as much as other days but still going strong.
    Avoided chocolate and lollies at my parents house. Not feeling as hungry today, definitely only eating because I know I need to.
    Thinking without the chest pain, I would be happy on this. Slight headaches and stuff I can handle but not the chest. Really just want it to stop so I can make the most of it!
    But Will see how it goes....

5. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

Hi Duro-Me,

Great reading your posts. I started four days ago now, I have been experience head aches too, and when I sit on the couch I just want to go to sleep! Once I get up and do something I seem to be fine though. I have huge boobs (20F) and I haven't had any chest pain. Other symptoms i have are a sore throat, dry mouth and a faint feeling. Eating regularly seems to ease the faint feeling. I think I'm having withdrawals from giving up my ice coffee and chocolate addition!

Looking forward to reading your updates, you can read mine here: First month of Duromine.

Sierra.

#5 Sierra, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017
  6. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Hi duro-me, the chest pain and the blood pressure is a concern, though it could easily be just a matter of your body adjusting over a couple of days, if it continues especially if it gets worse you could just skip a couple of days until you get to talk with your Dr. My blood pressure has been high, in the same range as yours but was almost normal this morning (my Dr gave me a machine to monitor myself at home for a week I have to take it several times a day, bloody annoying!) The other thing I started today is Hawthorn and magnesium, both good for blood pressure and heart health and won't interfere with the Duromine, so I'm hoping that might make a difference also.
    I feel much the same as you, I don't like this side effect but ask the others I can handle, I've had a bit of a headache today, nothing major, but I certainly don't want to put myself at any serious risk, I'm doing this to improve my health not jeopardise it! Anyway, hoping the Hawthorn and magnesium help, will keep you posted!
    Look after yourself!

7. Duro-Me

Duro-Me New Member
    Registered

Thanks Guys, Sierra - we share the same bra size! Hopefully we can get it down a bit!! Pirate - I might have to look into the Hawthorn & Magnesium, and I would probably feel better if I could monitor my BP at home as well, might have to see if I can get a machine to use.

Ok so yesterday after finishing up my afternoon rest, I continued to get the chest pains especially if I would get stressed it would worsen. The pain would come and go and when they were gone I felt fabulous, really good. So if they would just ease I could be having a great time.

Last night I woke around 3am and I think I worked myself up with the idea of pains, so of course had then and couldn't turn them off.... after an hour or so of trying to distract myself unsuccessfully I tried doing a few stretches and found that while stretching my pain vanished, so now completely confused as to what is going on...is it muscle related, a side effect, or just a product of my imagination?? Eventually fell asleep around 5am.

Day 4: I woke at around 7am and decided I would take a day off from Duromine to see how I go, I automatically noticed a difference in my whole attitude. Usually I take my tablet at 5:30am and am wide awake and ready to tackle the day, enjoying a snuggle and bounding out of bed around 7am. Today struggle city, didn't want to et out of bed, the whole time all I was thinking about was food :( What was I going to have for breakfast, knowing that I need to keep in control I tried to shut the thoughts out, very hard!!
    Breakfast was Bran Flakes, with soy milk and a banana, noticed my brain is just not shutting off from wanting to eat all of the things...
    Aside from what I guess I knew would happen regarding my thoughts, I am noticing today I am so much more stressed and anxious, but I recognise that as how I was before I started Duromine, and it was something that the D stopped. I felt calm and happy on D, without it I feel wound up and snappy, and above all else my chest pains are still here, but are feeling worse because I am much more stressed out. Tempted just to take it to feel that calmness sweep over me.... really annoyed this is happening.

I am thinking I might take tomorrow off again as well, just to give my body a good chance to get it out of my system if it is effecting my heart in any way, then I am thinking I might just take half a cap and see if I can't ease my body into it! Hopefully by then I will have a chance to see a Dr for a bit more advice.

I am feeling quite down about this happening, as really it was (for me) a last resort as nothing else I had done was working.... I had even signed up for Private Health, I had done the 12 month waiting stint and was a week away from making my appointment to have Lapband surgery. I went to the Dr's for a check up to make sure all was ok for me to have the surgery and to check on some weird symptoms I was having, blood test found Hypothyroidism. Dr said 'oh you will lose so much wait now you are being treated with thyroid meds blah blah blah' and that I should wait it out before going for the Op. So with new found hope that I might have something to actually help me, and with a a desperate need for a new car bearing down on my Op funds, the Private health got cancelled and the money went towards a new car. Thyroid meds haven't managed to budge a single KG.

I am so disappointed.

8. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

Hi Duro-Me,

As weird as it sounds I'd actually like my boobs to get smaller!

It doesn't sound like you're having a good day :( I strongly recommend seeing a doctor as soon as you can just in case it's something serious. The tablets I'm in look more like capsules so I'm not sure it's a good idea to split them? Hearing how you feel being off duromine for one day makes me worry if I will fall back into my old ways as soon as I go off it, I hope not!

Hope you're feeling better soon, keep positive and don't give up, Sierra.

9. Duro-Me

Duro-Me New Member
    Registered

Hi Sierra,

Mine are the capsules as well, but I was thinking I could just open one up and empty out half (into the bin)? Just to make the dose a little smaller for a few days?

Being off them for today, now makes me appreciate just how much it was working. I have snacked SO much, like all I have done today is think about food. I have tried to make good choices, and to fill my craving with water, but WOW it has been HARD! Definitely need to do something because I know I am only able to hold off at this point because I am still in motivational mode, but it is wearing very thin. Even water has been harder to drink, at least when you are thirsty you appreciate it, but I am more forcing it down my throat and it is just hard!
    Also today I have hardly been able to get off the couch, so they were giving me energy (I want it back!!!!!)

In relation to chest pain; it has been significantly less today. Though it does worsen if I sit down, eat or stress.... so speculation is high on the cause, thinking muscle related as stretching helps? But yes will wait for the Doctor. Speaking of stress, I am definitely highly strung without the tabs, felt so much calmer on them? not sure what to make of that?
    Wishing I could see the Dr now for some answers as I just want to get back on them, I am having debates over whether or not to just take the half tomorrow to see what the effects are as I am so scared the Dr will pull me straight off them...gahhh!!

I guess the whole 'you don't know what you have till it is gone' makes sense here, I was thinking I wasn't getting many good side effects, but it was definitely there, perhaps not in abundance but still making a good impact.

I don't think you should worry too much about having all these troubles when you finally come off them, I haven't had enough time on them to properly train myself. And although it was struggle city and my cravings were out of control 90% of the time I fought them, so it's early days for us but I am positive with their assistance to help change your life for the better, you will do great!!!! :)

10. Sierra

Sierra New Member
    Registered

Hi Duro-Me,

Opening the capsule really sounds like a bad idea to me. Perhaps you could call your doctor and ask his opinion? Or even the pharmacist. Hopefully it works out for you :)

11. Pirate

Pirate New Member
    Registered

Hi duro-me,

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a bad time! It does sound like you're really stressed and anxious, maybe meditation would help? Some breathing exercises to stop the panicky feeling when you get the chest pain?
    I don't think breaking the capsule sounds like a good idea either, but maybe when you see the Dr they can lower your dose?

Magnesium is good for anxiety and helps your body feel relaxed too.

Hope today is better for you, take care.