My Duromine experience - started 14-August-2011

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by kasey, Aug 23, 2011.

1. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi all,

Anyone has any idea about how much weight loss to expect from the 2nd week onwards?

I'm 1.72m, and was 70.5kg when i started on Duromine on 14-August-2011. As an Asian Chinese, my ideal BMI should be above 18.5 and below 23. Mine was about 23.83. :(

Started on Duromine 30mg on 14-August 2011 (Monday).
    Start: 14-Aug-11 (Mon), weight: 70.5kg, BMI: 23.83
    week 1: 22-Aug-11 (Mon), weight: 67.5kg, BMI: 22.82 (lost 3kg)

I was quite surprised to see a 3kg loss in the first week, guess it's mostly water weight.
    My ideal weight should be about 55kg - 60kg, so i have another 8 - 13kg to lose

About side effects, I am often thirsty, so have to drink a lot of water a day. I dont feel hungry or have cravings anymore, so i have to remember to feed myself at least 3 times a day.
    Other than that, i sleep well, no major headaches, mood/ temper relatively normal, no excess nor lower energy level.

I do walk daily, at least 30 minutes a day. Going to start jogging again soon. Didnt want to go for my jogs, dance in the first 1 - 2 weeks just in case of any side effects from the medicine.

Been gaining/ losing weight all my life. Hope this works once and for all.

Thanks!

Kasey.

2. Cherrydreams

Cherrydreams New Member
    Registered

Hi Kasey,

I have no idea about the second week, but I think you've had a great loss. Just wanted to say well done!

3. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi Cherrydreams,

Thanks for the motivation!
    :)

Cheers,
    Kasey

4. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi!

UPDATE
    week 2: 29-Aug-11 (Mon), weight: 66.5kg, BMI: 22.48 (lost 1kg)
    Total weight lost : 4kg

Experienced a few side effects this week but not directly attributable to duromine.

1- * Grew 3 big pimples on Thursday. This is possibly because I've been eating too much nuts. Nuts are great when taken in moderation but guess I over did it.
    The pimples subsided / dried in 4 days but will take another week or so to fully clear up.
    For those who experienced this, you can try applying fresh lemon juice on the pimples, it dries up the pimples pretty fast. For me, I apply all over the face. Stings somewhat but you'll get used to it and the vitamin C gives a glow to your skin! For those with dry or sensitive skin, you might consider applying only on the pimple. Works on blackheads too but takes at least a week to see the effects.

2- dizzy spells when I get up too fast. My blood pressure is on the lower end of the acceptable range. When I started feeling faint this week, I measure my blood pressure twice. 101/69 and 108/77 and make sure I don't forget to eat. Still acceptable but I'm diligently monitoring. For those who experienced this, please monitor your blood pressure.*

It's already mid week, I'm just about 66 kg. Hopefully can go under 66!

Cheers,
    Kasey

5. kezthisyriwilldoit

kezthisyriwilldoit New Member
    Registered

Hi Kasey,
    Congrats on your succes so far thats great, Just thought id mention to not to put too much pressure on your bmi, those arent accurate and if you speak to most docs they will say the same. Id say go by a dress size u wana get into or when u do get to your weight that your happy with stick with that. To me id say at your height 55 kg would be way to light than what youd prob should be. It all depends on how much muscle you have also. Im 1.63 cm and my bmi says i should be the same between 53kg & 66 kg. As im quite strong for my height and always have been,Legs and arms i also do pump and weights at least 2-3 times a week, there is no way possible i could get to under 60kg, id look like a bloody body builder and horrible i rekon. I personally will be stoked when i can get into a size 10 and as my body shape has changed so much since doing cardio & weights for the last 6 months or so im ignoring that weight range. As it is im 79 kg and fitting into my size 12 jeans- they are stretch ones but they fit comfortably. So as you can see if i can get to my range of 65-67 kg im hoping i will find my ideal body shape. Glad to hear your getting pimples too as i too have had them this week and ive never suffered from acne all my life even teenage years. Will have to try the lemon thanks for the tip. Look foward to hearing your regular posts.!

6. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Thanks! :)

yup, agreed that bmi might not be the best gaudge.
    I'm also keeping track of my measurements and I've lost some inches :)
    so i'm quite happy with that. Hopefully I'll be able to fit into my older clothings by end of the year :)
    Weights training, done properly, can indeed give you the curves in all the right places :) Keep it up!

7. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi,

Didn't lose much this week. Will report my weight loss tomorrow. Wonder if I should continue with duromine 30mg after my first month. Another 11 kg to go. Hopefully I'll lose all that weight by end of the year :)

Cheers,
    Kasey

8. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi!

UPDATE
    week 3: 5-Sep-11 (Mon), weight: 66kg, BMI: 22.31 (lost 0.5kg)
    Total weight lost : 4.5kg

It is a small weight loss of 0.5kg this week. While, it is kind of expected, it would have been nice if i had gone under 66kg. Still, I have to be realistic.

Yesterday I was watching this reality weight loss program/show. This guy enrolled to a weight loss programme. He started out at about 517pounds and he wanted to lose weight so that he can be healthy and take care of his family and watch his kid grow up. He aimed to finish a half marathon by the end of the 6 months program. He lost 30pounds in the first week. At the end of 6 months, he lost 167pounds. He was about 350pounds at the end and he ran/ walked a half marathon! It is really motivating. Because in the span of 6 months, he lost one of me and more, and at 350pounds (about 160kg), he finished a half marathon! He's about 2.4 x my size and while i had done my half marathons a couple of times, but it was always tough! He is a great inspiration.

Last night, I was just thinking of a friend who went for a 320km cycling trip that weekend. And i thought back to the time when i was motivated enough to go for a 100km cycling day trip.
    This morning when i weighed myself, i was just thinking, when something comes too easily, we tend not to treasure it. And weight loss is simple. Just use more calories than you consume.
    Easy to say, tougher to practise in reality. We're after all flesh and blood and weak in the face of temptations (food).

Btw, I'll likely stop taking duromine after i'm done with the 4th week (first month of usage). Reason is because, duromine is not exactly helping me much any more. It is back to my own efforts soon. So i wont be here for much longer.
    Thanks for accompanying me on my journey!

Keep it up everyone.

While you're busy being a super woman tending to your family, do take the time to pamper and take care of yourself too!

Cheers,
    Kasey

9. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Btw, kezthisyriwilldoit,

Thanks for the point about not worrying too much about bmi.

While bmi is not the be all end all number, it is still quite important for a woman unless she has a lot of muscle mass. By "a lot", i mean her muscle mass is similar to that of men. I could do chest of press of 30 pounds per hand (total 60 pounds for two hands) but nope, i did not have a lot of muscle mass. My muscle mass was still quite negligible. For women, even though we can have more muscles and weigh heavier due to the muscle mass, the absolute amount of muscles we have is usually not enough to negate the importance of bmi.

Or unless a woman has very big frame and heavy bones. By "very big frame", I mean if you put your hand around your wrist and try to touch your thumb with your index finger, and there is a big gap between your fingers, then you are very large frame. Usually "big frame" means that your thumb and your index finger will just touch. I have the feeling that you fall into the category of "very big framed". For me, i am actually small to medium framed even though i'm quite tall.
    Human Body Frame Sizes

While weights training does not really make a girl bulk up (because we lack the male hormones to build big muscles), too much weights training (without other forms of stretching exercises such as yoga/ dancing) tends to make a woman look harder/ tougher and less soft/ feminine.

Why do women want to lose weight in the first place? Because we want to be healthy? Yes, that's an important reason. Another reason, which is probably on the top of every woman's list, is to be pretty, slim, attractive. If a woman is too tough/hard, she can make people, especially guys feel intimidated.

I used to do weight training and I still do a little now and then. When i was regularly doing weights about 3 years ago, I had a personal trainer for 2 years, 2 - 3 times a week with her, and a few times a week on my own. I was about 70kg, body fat percentage of 21%, waistline was 26 inches, but my body was also quite "hard".
    That was when I go for lesser hours of weights training and switched to cycling and then subsequently switched to salsa and belly dancing.

So for all women out there who wants to lose weight, I'll suggest for you to go for dance classes. They are usually fun and allow you to lose weight and be more feminine, also it is quite a social activity, usually helps to improve your mood too :)

At the end of the day, do whatever makes you happy. But I still think that if you want to be healthy and look good, bmi is quite important unless you have muscle mass similar to guys or if you are very large framed.

Cheers,
    Kasey.

10. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi,

Just measured my weight this morning, I'm back to 67kg.
    Quite expected because I haven't been sleeping much/ well lately due to other commitments and as a result, i've been making rather poor food choices for the past week or so.
    So far while consuming duromine, i've not had any problem sleeping.
    I was counting the number of capsules left and realised one month's supply is 30 capsules and not 28
    silly me. My remaining capsules will last me until next Tuesday and I'll stop taking it after that.
    It's back to exercise time! :)

One of the side effects i experienced was that i am not able to exercise as much as i could before.
    A few days ago, i was running up the overhead bridge and running across the bridge and running down the stairs to get to the opposite bus stop as I was trying to catch my bus.
    Previously i could easily do that, and either not feel anything at all, as in no exertion, or just a little bit of panting, and i would have recovered quite fast.
    Now, i was panting and struggling for breath. It is kinda scary i guess. That's part of the reason why i decided to stop taking duromine.

It's important to exercise a couple of times a week, especially for my family because my dad had blocked arteries, sinus problem and experienced a heart attack just a few years ago.
    Two out of four of us sisters already have sinus, and I had asthma when i was a kid and now prone to panic attacks/ hyperventilation. That's why i realised the importance of exercise since a very young age. I swum once a week (20 - 30 laps) when i was a kid (between 8 to 12 years old), after that i went onto other sports. Reason why i am chubby even though i exercise so much is due to my diet. I eat too much junk food. That's why i understand how addictive junk food is! Exercise is important, and if i cant exercise, i cant stay with this duromien for long. Of course, the other reason being that i think that's about all duromine can and will do for me. For that, i'm pretty happy with the results. It is more of re-educating me to make the right food choices. It's not easy but it can and will become a habit.

67kg is fine for me now until i start exercising again, hopefully a swim this weekend.

My sister is another source of motivation for me, she cleaned up her diet beginning of the year, and started brisk walking in the evenings after work, around 1-2 hours between 5+pm to 7+pm. Yup she starts work early and ends work early. I would have just reached home about 7.30 / 8 pm.
    Anyway, she lost almost 20kg, from 72kg to 52kg. She's 1.63m. And she's looking good! Btw, she's the mother to two kids

Another sister too! Her exercise comprises mainly of housework and taking care of her 3 year old boy. She eats her three healthy meals a day, and she's now back at 56kg, she's 1.67m btw.

My other sister is currently pregnant, so no basis of comparison there :) She's nicely round.

Sometimes, i think the purpose of a forum is to share how you feel about a particular topic, it's almost like a diary/ blog, and sometimes "talking" about it makes one feel better.
    Hopefully someone will learn something from my posts

Btw, for those of you who are taking duromine or any other appetite suppressants, please do not eat too little or stop eating. While it is normal to gain a bit of weight after you stop the medication, example you lose 10kg and maybe you gain back 2kg, so net loss of 8kg. Most people will regain rebound weight, which was what happened to me many many times. My heaviest was 78kg (that was back in 2008) and my lightest was 64kg (that was just about half a year after my heaviest 78kg). It's really about the daily food and exercise choices that one makes. Good luck! Hopefully i can do the right thing too! It's after all, easier to say than to do.

Cheers!
    Kasey
    Another 5 days to the end of my duromine episode

11. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Just took my blood pressure 103/58. Thought it might increase my blood pressure but not much difference so far, I still have low blood pressure one month after taking duromine. Has anyone had lower blood pressure after taking duromine? mine is just slIghtly lower now. But can't help bit wonder.

12. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

UPDATE
    week 3: 5-Sep-11 (Mon), weight: 66kg, BMI: 22.31 (lost 0.5kg)
    week 4: 12-Sep-11 (Mon), weight: 66kg, BMI: 22.31 (lost 0kg)
    Total weight lost : 4.5kg

Weight fluctuated between 65.5kg to 67kg. Been eating more. Started counting calories again.
    Other than eating fruits and vegetables, calorie counting is important. Example a plate of chicken rice is easily 500-600 kcalories.
    A pack of almond/cashew/sunflower nuts (35g) is easily 200-250kcal.

I was considering the calories count for a sample healthy day of eating:
    breakfast 8am:
    a glass of milk (250ml) with oatmeal/ cereal, with a portion of fruit (1 apple)
    = 400kcal [ milk 150kcal + oatmeal/cereal (150kcal) + 1 apple (100 kcal) ]

mid day snack 11am:
    a medium pack of sunmaid raisin 43g (about Length 2inch x height 2.5 inch x breadth 3/4 inch box)
    = 130kcal

lunch 2pm:
    400g of fish 400kcal, half a bowl of rice (100kcal)
    = 500kcal

mid day snack 5pm:
    1 yoghurt (125ml) with a sprinkle of nuts (11g) = 150kcal + 70kcal =
    220kcal

dinner 8pm:
    minced pork porridge, with a serving of fruit = 350kcal + 100 kcal
    = 450kcal

total calorie count? 1,700kcal. Good thing is that probably means that i wont gain any weight, since that's around my daily calorie requirement.
    On the downside, i wont lose any weight either.

But considering the sample day's meal above. It's healthy, nutritious and i'mnot eating much!
    OK, i realised i need to cut down the portions and eat a much smaller portion for dinner or lunch, or half the portion of the snacks.

There you go, healthy eating is about making conscious choices most of the time!

I had half a pack of french fries and half a strawberry sundae yesterday night (more like supper)
    and that will set me back by a total of 370kcals [ 225kcals (half a pack of mcdonald french fries) and 145kcal (half a sundae) ]
    It's just a snack and it's not filling nor nutritious, and going by calories, this is almost all i can eat for a meal!
    Still, i had it, conscious of the calories and savoured every single bite of it.
    And ops, i just had 1 scoop of reverso (chocolate ice-cream) from island creamery yesterday afternoon! :)

After talking so much about calorie counting, why did i eat so much junk yesterday?
    Because now and then i (any one for that matter), needs to unwind and enjoy the food that he/she likes :)
    in moderation. And beware that the "now and then" should be once in a week/ two weeks/ a month, and hopefully not every day if you're trying to lose weight.

Conscious choices everyone!
    Whatever you eat, it goes somewhere, and it's usually not in the right places.

Note: counting down to the end of duromine. 1 more day to go.

Cheers,
    Kasey

13. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

btw, about the 400g fish. 3 oz (1 recommend serving size) = abt 85grams = looks like the size of 1 deck of poker cards
    400g fish = 4.7 decks of poker cards.
    That's the usual portion i eat for my meat/ fish etc.
    Maybe i should reduce my portions for fish/ meat too?

starting work! :)

14. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

I'm off duromine! :)

Day 1 - not much difference. I don't feel particularly hungry or full. I think my body adjusted to the medicine by the second/ third week. Do not see or feel any/much difference. When I first got the medicine from the doctor, he cautioned about the possible rebound weight gain after I stop taking duromine. I guess I'll continue to record my weight here for a couple weeks or so to see if I'll maintain my weight, or gain or lose some more now that I'm no longer under medication :)

No withdrawal symptoms. Not feeling any better or worse off.

Cheers,
    Kasey :)

15. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

5 days off duromine. No difference. Still around 66-67kg. Not lOsing any weight but not gaining any either. Went for foot reflexology today and my blood pressure went down to 90+/50+ range. Googled for the relationship between foot reflexology and blood pressure and it seems that it can lower blood pressure. Feeling good so no issues there. Guess for those with high blood pressure, you might want to consider foot reflexology :)

16. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

From 14-Sep-11 to 13-Oct-11 off duromine.

I'm around 65kg now :) doing intermittent fasting for the past month or so and it's quite effective. Just stop eating for 24 hours once or twice a week and have normal meals during other times :)

Check out eat stop eat! Works for me :) losing inches, still eating and feeling good.

17. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

About 2 weeks since last post. Stuck at 65kg because my bf has a huge appetite and on weekends he insists on feeding me. Quite a challenge trying to lose weight! Have to start motivating/ scaring myself soon. Jiayou Kc! :)

18. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Ps: feels better without taking medicine.
    Though duromine didn't affect my lifestyle much
    nor have any major side effects for me,
    it is still better not to be under medication.

Glad that duromine gave me the 4-5kg headstart!

Looking forward to the day when
    I can post a "I'm 60kg" post :)