My daily Duromine experience

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by A kick start, Sep 4, 2011.

1. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

Hi everyone,
    Well I've set my alarm for 7am to take my first dose (30mg) tomorrow in the hope I won't be awake all night Sunday before work !

I must admit I'm feeling a little scared, I'm weaning off anti-deps at the moment and I have been assured there is no interactions of both drugs, but I really would rather not have heart flutters or any major side effects of course.

Oh well, I'm 102 kilos, 166 cms and need this to kick start a change in my life after a horrendous three years which has resulted in a 40 kilo weight gain.

Wish me luck, I'll be writing this for myself as much as anyone else!

2. IWantToBeMeAgain!

IWantToBeMeAgain! New Member
    Registered

3. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi kickstart,

Good luck!
    Are you still on your anti depression medication? If not, how long have you been off it? One of the warnings on duromine consumption is that you should not be currently taking or have taken in the past 14 days, anti depression medication from the mono-amine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) class such as Phenelzine (example Nardil) and Tranylcypromine (example Parnate). Please check the content of your anti depression medication? Sorry if I misinterpret your message.

Cheers,
    Kasey

Bells likes this.
  4. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

Hi, thanks for the messages - and yes I'm still on Pristiq, but it's not a MAIO anti-dep, thanks for your concern :)

I have double-triple-quadrouple checked with research online, doctor in person, doctor online and the pharmacist - I'm too much of a worry wart!

Anyway, so far so good- set alarm for 8am and took the tablet and managed to get back to sleep (although toss and turned) until 11!! No reported side effects as yet, I know early days yet, still have appetite at this stage too.... Will report back at end of day :)

5. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

DAY ONE:
    thankfully, not much to report!
    - I have not experienced any side effects whatsoever except for a dry mouth, if that's all I experience I'll be very grateful! I certainly haven't felt fullmof energy like others seem to report, in fact at times a bit spacey. I have reduced my anti-deps by 50 mg over past two days so I'm sure that's why-so with that in mind, it's going pretty well.
    - I must say however, my appetite wasn't particularly suppressed? Did others experience appetite suppression from day 1? Perhaps it will kick in more tomorrow-I'm ready for sleep too-so we will see how that goes and will report more tomorrow night!

6. traylee01

traylee01 New Member
    Registered

please make sure you keep updating, as i havent started but am thinkin about it

7. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

Hrm well I was awake until 3am last night!!! I wasnt wired as some report, didn't want to get up and clean or anything - just tossing and turning. Feel fine other than that, just normal, and still have appetite - what's with that ????

8. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi kickstart,

If you cannot sleep at night, I suggest the following:-
    (1) lay off caffeine, including coke for a few days to a week.
    (2) wake up early in the morning and do not take afternoon naps. I woke up at 6am for the first few days so that I can be tired our by end of the day.
    (3) after waking up early, try 6am, do some light cardio, it helps boost your energy level, kickstart your metabolism, and you are more likely to sleep earlier/ better at night. Do not exercise at night if you have problem falling asleep. I usually can't sleep well if I exercise late at night, I used to go for 8km night jogs at 10pm, 11pm to manage my work stress. And I can't sleep until 3,4am too.
    (4) eat some carbs, milk and/or camomile tea. It helped me at times.
    (5) try not to watch tv/ use computer until too late at night. Your mind might still be active, alert due to these external stimulations.

I'm not sure if the appetite suppression effect works for everyone. It worked for me. But when I'm stressed with work or have too much spare time, eg, slacking, I can be emotionally hungry and i'll be able to eat at any time of the day. If duromine doesn't suppress your appetite after a few days, you might want to check with your doctor? That's supposed to be what it's good for. If it doesn't do that, then it might not be suitable for you?

Try a few more days, see how it goes?

In the meantime, watch the quality of food you eat and good luck!

:)
    Kasey

9. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi kickstart,

another thing. if you eat junk food or oily food, example potato chips, fried food etc, the food is highly likely to cause you to overeat, or make you feel like eating more and more even though you've already had a lot to eat. A big pack of potato chips is easily 1,100 kcal. A big Mcdonalds french fries is 450kcal. I used to finish a pack of potato chips and/or mcdonalds french fries easily on my own. And I still can :)

So about your appetite, it will help if you feed your body with the right fuel/ food.
    Even if duromine suppresses a person's appetite, but he/she is not eating healthy, it really doesnt make any sense, because he/ she will gain it back and more once he/she gets off the medicine.
    If you start to eat fruits, nuts, dairy (if you are not lactose intolerant), wholegrains (such as oatmeal), you are more likely to be satisfied/ not hungry.

good luck!

cheers,
    kasey

10. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

Thanks for all the tips kasey-it's so helpful and informative to get this info from someone who's been there!
    My afternoon was completely opposite to my morning, nausea and head ache kicked in, headache left with lots of water and panadol- nausea still here. Whether it's due tonthis or not, I've completely lost appetite :) yay. The dr told me I could feel nauseas for first few days so am willing to put upmwith it. As far as I'm concerned so much easier to deal with than tremors or heart palpitations I was most worried about which just have not occured at all-fingers crossed. I don't feel wired at all.

I know I shouldn't have a nap now, but I just feel dead tired (5 hrs) and nauseas so I'm just going to have an hours nap. As my body gets used tonthe drug I expect my sleep patterns to adjust.

Thanks for your tips-I'm not eating fatty food while i do this, making most of opportunity as can't be on drug long.

Chloe

11. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

END OF DAY TWO AND DAY THREE:
    So last night I went to bed for a nap at 6pm, was dead tired after previous nights five hours sleep and very nauseas....and of course I couldn't nap-laid in bed listening to radio, reading, surfing net off and on between trying to sleep until midnight-wasn't bothered, was too nauseas to be up so ok to rest. Eventually to sleep at midnight until my alarm went off at 6am to take tablet-then went back to sleep u til 8-but lots of tossing and turning. Quality of sleep is not great but pleased to be asleep before midnight to be honest.

So DAY THREE-feeling better today compared to yesterday-far less nauseas, but it kicked in a little more later in the day-just a bit flat-def not speedy at all-no bursts of energy whatsoever-was keen to get on treadmill for just 20 mins when I got home from work, but after walking the dogs, I'm pooped. No headache today-yay-no heart tremors/palpitations-YAY!

Hopefully will sleep again tonight and the side effects will keep easing and I will be able to exercise tomorrow.

No appetite, tuna and rice cakes for lunch, fruit salad for breakfast and don't feel like dinner. Even turned down yummy cakes and chocolate in team meeting today-emotional eating that I'd usually cave into not ere at this stage as I'm aware of the time limit I have for the drugs and not prepared to ruin diet while going through these symptoms for the greater cause. So far so good.

Will report weight loss tomorrow morning after these three days.

12. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

Pls feel free to reply/make comparisons with ur experiences-I'll need the dialogue!

13. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

DAY FOUR First day I've felt completely normal!!! No more nausea, no other side effects whatsoever except for tossing and turning, getting to sleep by midnight but light sleep all night apart from a couple of hours, I don't feel speedy at all-feel normal. I weighed myself yesterday and this morning and couldn't believe my eyes, am going to weigh myself again tomorrow morning to make sure it's right cause I just don't believe it!!

14. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Hi a kick start,

good for you that the side effects are gone. keep it up.
    do remember to eat. the lesser you eat, the faster your weight loss. and when you stop taking the medicine, the faster the weight gain. Sorry if i sound discouraging.
    when i was on reductil (btw, it's already banned/ withdrawn from the market), i didnt eat, and within 2 weeks i lost from 68kg to 64kg and i lost the inches in all the right places too. looking good, but once i stopped taking it, i regained the weight loss and more. because i couldn't eat so little food for the rest of my life. and when i start eating normal portions, i gained back the weight.

All the best!

Kasey.

15. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

I'm eating, was just the one night I didn't feel like dinner-lost 5 kilos in five days

16. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

No side effects today either-yay

17. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Congrats. :)

18. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

Thanks Kasey!

19. A kick start

A kick start Member
    Registered

Just an update incase anyone is actually reading this....2 weeks on 30mg tomorrow and as of scales today, have lost 7 kilos. Weight loss slowed significantly this week as I was bed ridden with awful flu, as a result, no exercise and was actually eating more (feeling weak from being sick and getting bored). Anyhow, appreciating my health and got back in treadmill today and feeling great again. No symptoms whatsoever (thank you), sleeping great again and looking forward to upping the anti again this week.

Thought, I don't want to be on duromine for more than 6 weeks. What do ppl think of doing three weeks on 30mg, then stepping up to 40mg for final three weeks? Anyone gone up from 30-40 here? Much noticeable diff? In symptoms or weight loss?

Thanks...

Simmy likes this.
  20. kasey

kasey New Member
    Registered

Glad you're feeling better :) keep up the weight loss and maintain your good health! I've not tried 40mg before, so no comments :) good luck!