Looking for some support!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Melonhelen, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Hi everyone, I started using duromine just over 3 weeks ago. The first week was the worst with the side effects. Crap sleep, constipation, found my self itching without even noticing! I've made a lot of changes to my diet. I never used to eat breakfast and then eat pretty badly right up until I went to sleep at night, bedtime being the worst eating ice cream and chips and whatever else I could find. Duromine has helped me so much with cravings as I know what I should be eating to stay healthy, but the cravings would take over. It has also helped me get off my bum and exercise again. I do it first thing in the morning as I get out of bed with so much energy. So far I have lost 2 kilos each week so 6 kilos all up.
    I would love to have a bit of a support network on here as it's nice to chat to people going through similar things. Please let me know where you are at, whether you have just started or have been going at it for a while. I would love to hear other people's stories x

Haylz and Leah11 like this.
  2. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Hello Melonhelen. Why are you feeling down? You are going so great! Sorry, my Duromine story is over long time ago, so I just dropped in to tell you that you are doing just great! Please, keep it up and reward yourself with something nice (not food). You deserve small rewards for each new mini goal reached. Smile more and enjoy each new day that brings you closer to your goal. Cheers!

3. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Thanks April, I'm ok! I was just feeling a bit shit and really just looking for someone to chat to who is going through the same thing. None of my family or friends are overweight so they just don't get it! Thanks for your kind words

4. Sunshines

Sunshines New Member
    Registered

Hi there :)

I literally just got off a call with a online doc who has given me duromine (will pick it up after work) I can't share anything yet, obviously, but I'd love to chat be your support buddy if that's what you're looking for :)
    I'm a bit nervous after ready the side effects I'm already a moody cow since putting on this weight!! Anyways I'm here if you'd like to chat.
    Sunshines

Melonhelen and April like this.
  5. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Hi Melonhelen, it’s ok. Feeling bit shit is a totally normal thing. I am glad you decided to post about this. I hope you will continue feeling the same free to discuss anything you feel on this forum. Weight loss process is a very difficult one from all sides and aspects. Having a possibility to just spill it all out or get any support might be essential. SO always feel free and I know you can cope with all the stuff that makes you down.

As for the fact that your family and friends understand your worries or mood swings, this also should not let you down. Don’t let yourself get yourself into the feeling that you’re ‘all alone, no one understands you, nobody cares…’ YOU CARE! You don’t have to prove anything to anybody, but you yourself! And you will prove to yourself that you are a strong woman! No other options! The harder it gets, you only have to push even harder. Measure your success with small achievements and make each of them become your own victory over everything that tries to interfere with your success! Always!

Have a lovely cheerful day and hope you did enjoy your walk or exercising! =)

Melonhelen likes this.
  6. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Hey Sunshines, I would love that thank you!! I like just being able to check in a couple times a week with people who are doing it too, and my friends and family (as supportive as they are) can't really relate to what's happening with me. At the moment, I'm focusing all my energy on losing weight, eating healthy and exercising. And all those things are a massive change for me so it consumes all my thoughts and it probably bores them to hear about it all the time. So it is nice to have people to talk to that are going through similar things.
    I hope your first week goes well, for me it was the week I had the most energy and the most unpleasant side effects. None were that bad that I wanted to quit though. I think I had my moody outburst in the 2nd week and since then my mood has been fine and I'm guessing it's because I'm back to getting a good nights sleep.

April likes this.
  7. Sunshines

Sunshines New Member
    Registered

I totally understand about losing weight consuming all your thoughts!! It's all I think about too. I haven't got anyone to talk to about it as no one knows I'm taking it, so I'm glad to have found this forum.
    Day 1 for me has gone great (well it's 9:15pm so we'll see if I get any sleep) ;-) I've had no appetite but still managed to eat & exercise (light) the only side effect is a dry mouth but I'm drinking lots of water & chewing sugar free gum.
    What sorts of things are you thinking about when you do think about your weight loss, are you thinking about your goals or ways to lose more? :)

8. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Wow April thanks for all the positive words. You should be a motivational speaker! I really appreciate your support. I am feeling really positive. I had to have a week off exercise as I had sinusitis. I knew I wouldn't have a loss, and I didn't, and I got back into it yesterday and I'm feeling quite proud of myself for not letting it get me down like it usually would. Right now I've lost 6 kilos in my first month and that was my goal so I just keep reminding myself how good I am going. I know if I keep doing what I'm doing then I will get the results I'm after x

April likes this.
  9. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

I just keep thinking about my goals, the end goal really. I hate being overweight and I'm just looking forward to being happy in my own skin again. I've been overweight just about my whole life til about nearly 4 years ago. I did a weight loss challenge with a group of ladies and I actually won the competition for the most percentage lost! I kept it off until both my parents got really sick and stacked all the weight back on plus more. So I know I can do it again and just keep reminding myself how good it feels to not be overweight and tired all the time!

10. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

I hope you get a good sleep tonight sunshines :)

11. Sunshines

Sunshines New Member
    Registered

Wow you won a boot camp challenge that's awesome, obviously shows that when you put your mind to something you'll smash it. I have no doubt you'll reach your goals! :)
    I got just under 6 hours sleep usually only sleep 6.5hrs anyway so not too bad :)
    You have probably already put this somewhere but what are your goals? Have you set yourself any mini targets? Anyway I hope you have a great day :)

12. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Yes I did, it was the first thing I had ever really wanted to win and I did it! Such a good feeling. Ok so my starting weight was 91kg (I'm only 160cm tall) I lost 2 kilos each week for 3 weeks so I'm down to 85. Last week I had sinusitis so still kept up my healthy eating but couldn't exercise so I lost nothing! I have PCOS so my metabolism is slow so I need to exercise to lose weight, healthy eating alone won't do anything for me. My mini goals are to lose 6 kilos each month. So my next mini goal is to get to 79kg. My ultimate goal is to be below 70kg. I've been 62kg before and I looked terrible as I'm quite broad in my shoulders and hips. So anything under 70 and I'll be happy. What are your stats and your plan of attack?

astarr21 likes this.
  13. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Hello Melonhelen! First of all, congratulations on that win! I am so happy for you! You managed to achieve the weight you wanted, and I am sure you will get back there!!!

Again… way to go! You’re doing very well with your current results! I hope you will find some time to share a bit of your routine, so that other users, those who go through the course now, and the newcomers, could get the inspiration and the idea of how they can achieve their goals. You’re great! A lovely day to you!

14. Sunshines

Sunshines New Member
    Registered

wow, that's great!! 6kg in 3 weeks! I hope I have the same sort of success! Your goals sound achievable so I'm sure you'll have no problems & be on your way to a more healthy & happy you very soon! :)
    I'm on the start of my 3rd day. I'm still not having any real side effects- dry mouth isn't so bad anymore (not sure if I've just got used to it or what.) Sleeping between 5-6 hours. I feel awake but I don't feel overly energetic....& that is the main reason I wanted the duromine as appetite & over eating wasn't really my issue. I'd always been a fit person doing bootcamps, gym etc & loved it. However moved & started a new job one where I'm on my bum all day & dont have a lot of opportunities to move, then when I get home I'm just tired & can't be bothered....so the weight crept on til I was out at a family dinner & someone snapped a pic of me & put it on Facebook .....yeah well let's just say I really hated myself for the next few days I couldn't stop looking at it but at the same time it made me feel so angry, ugly & sick! :-( So initially when I weighed myself after that pic I was 76kg the heaviest I've ever been I'm 168cm tall...I then lost 2.5kg on my own just through diet. I'd been toying with the idea of duromine for a while but didn't think I'd be given it & didn't want to be embarrassed by being told no & to work harder by a doctor....randomly I just found GP2U thought oh well if he starts saying no I'll just cut my losses & end the phone call ha ha.
    Sooo I'll just put my stats below
    Height- 168cm
    CW- 73.5 (haven't weighed myself since starting but I doubt there'd be a loss in 3 days haha- wishful thinking!)
    GW1- 67kg by the start of Aug
    FGW- 63.....hopefully by October
    I best get ready for work. I hope you have a great day :)

15. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Ah the dreaded Facebook photos! I hate photos of myself right now too. And it sucks as I have 2 young kids who I'd love to have photos with more often but my weight puts me right off!
    You are lucky to not have many side effects. I slept so shit for the first week and my bowel movements, even now are pretty ordinary. I didn't get the dry mouth but am thirsty all the time. I hope you have a good day too and I hope you get the burst of energy you are looking for.

16. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Thanks April! I hadn't even thought of putting my routine here, so here's what I do and what I've changed.

Ok so first of all I was a big coffee drinker, sometimes 6 a day if I'm catching up with people. I have 2 sugars in my coffee so that's a lot of sugar in a day. Now I'm only having one coffee in the morning, still with 2 sugars. That's one thing I won't change as I need to make realistic changes for it to work out in the long run. The rest of the day I just drink water and have a cup of tea in the afternoon. I've cut out bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. I will start reintroducing them slowly after another month.
    My average day is like this
    I wake up around 6am to do a workout. I just find one on YouTube that I like and do that 6 days a week til I'm comfortable with it then change to do a different one. I'm doing low impact high intensity til I lose a bit more weight. I do about 35 minutes 6 days a week and have one day off to rest. I have breakfast after I cool down and it's usually some oats, sultana bran or poached eggs. For lunch I usually have a mountain bread wrap with a heap of spinach and other salad and some chicken. For dinner I have a small piece of meat, rump chicken or fish with salad or a heap of vegetables. For snacks I eat a handful of prunes to help my bowels and I'll have some corn thins with avocado or tomato. Sometimes I'll make a shake with coconut milk, berries and half a banana.

17. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Hello Melonhelen! Thank you very much for sharing your routine. God, I love your attitude to changes! Right, they should be the ones you will be able to stick to for the rest of your life. And I like your exercising routine. If you have the forces and a couple of minutes, you can slightly enhance the effect and do plank exercises in the evening. About 5 minutes, yet the effect is great.

Love your menu! Only thing I would change is to add up some seeds and nuts to the menu. Not too much. Some sesame seeds on the chicken or some pumpkin seeds in salad, a couple of nuts along with the prunes. I always advise these, because they bring so many health benefits to the female body. A great day to you!

Melonhelen likes this.
  18. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Hey April, I'm not a huge fan of nuts and seeds as they get stuck in my teeth! I do add pine nuts and walnuts to my salads as they are nice and soft. I do planks in some of my workouts, but I know they are so good for you're whole body so I'll take that on board thank you :)

April likes this.
  19. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Hey there! How’s it going? Pine nuts and walnuts in salads – great choice, I am calm now =)) Girls should never forget about good things they get from food that benefit their appearance.

Happy to hear you plan to introduce planks on a regular basis. You will be proud with your achievements, I am sure. Have a great day and enjoy a great mood!

20. Melonhelen

Melonhelen Member
    Registered

Hey April, all is good here thanks. I don't take duromine on Sundays and that's my day off exercise too so I had a nice rest day yesterday. Got straight back into it this morning before my kids woke up and I'm really starting to notice changes. When I started working out, all my core exercises that I do laying down, I would have to do the modified version. Now I can just follow what the instructor is doing and I can feel my muscles coming back (under the flab haha) my only real downfall in all this is the fact I can't go to the toilet properly without using something to help. The chemist has said it's fine for me to use a mix of movicol and less frequently, laxatives for the time that I'm on duromine as upping my water and fibre is just doing nothing for me. Looking at the big picture it's not one of the worst side effects so I can't complain too much. Thanks for checking in :)

April likes this.