Just starting today

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by caragh87, Jan 10, 2013.

1. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

Hi All,

I am starting duromine or metermine 30mg today.

History: I have struggled with my weight since about 8 years old, being 15-20kgs overweight.
    I've lost 10-20 kilos previously but never been able to keep it off.
    2 years ago I got down to my lowest adult weight of 75kg's, I then got into a relationship.. let myself slip and have put on 31 kilos since then.
    One relationship breakdown/excess food consumption/quitting smoking/alcohol consumption.
    I work long hours in a stressful job, and finding motivation to get to the gym after work and eating healthy is hard.
    I really need a boost of energy and I am hoping duromine can help..

So starting stats:

Height: 163cm
    Weight: 106kg
    Current Weight: 106kg
    Goal Weight: 65kg
    BMI: 40
    Starting Blood Pressure: 120/84

I would love to get to a lower goal weight, but I don't think it would be achievable for me to maintain.
    I plan to watch what I eat significantly, only eating while hungry... NO ALCOHOL which is huge for me, and trying to exercise for at least an hour 6 days per week.
    I've lost 20 kilos before, and I watched what I ate.. had one "cheat day" where I ate maintenance calories and was so good with my exercise.

Day one:

Woke up at 7am very tired and feeling a bit shitty. Took tablet at approximately 7:30am.
    It's now 10:30am and I am feeling pretty good, not hungry at all, dry mouth and pretty thirsty but i've taken med's before that have that affect.
    My fuse is a little short, but I'm feeling a bit energetic.

2. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

Well day one finished off okay. I had quite a bit of energy but it seemed to fade into the evening and I did get a bit hungry.
    I must eat breakfast... I think that's important.
    I was bad and had alcohol :( Two drinks.. I think I finished up around 1500-1600 calories.

My ex came over and it's funny he's lost 25 kilos in 8 months and.. i've put on 31 kilos in 2 years & 8 months.

Anyway so my sleep was a bit broken I probably only got about 3-4 hours.
    I didn't see any loss this morning but I was on a normal scale not digital.
    I'm going to try not to weigh in every day as it will get me down.

I just had breakfast of tomato on toast, and later i'll have a salad sandwich & a lesnack if im still hungry.
    Lots of water to be consumed today because it's going to be very hot.

Don't know if i'll get to the gym tonight, but over the weekend I really want to spend a few hours their during the day.

3. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome caragh87!
    It's nice to meet you and I must say you have quite concrete plans, that's good.) )
    I keep saying that weight loss is something very complicated and requires will power, patience, time and support. Support you have already (;)) as for the rest, it is up to you my dear!
    1. Energy is normal - the pills deliver it, but yes - breakfast is the most important meal throughout a day, even when you're on diet.
    2. Alcohol is bad. Once you've chosen "healthy path" you should stick to it, no exceptions (just a tip) ) .
    3. Men and women lose weight in a different way, since our bodies work differently a little bit, but I'm pretty sure you know that. So don't look at your ex, because now you have your new diet plan and start it all over. Besides you do great so far!
    4. Weigh yourself at least once a month (you're right an everyday weighing might cause disappointment).
    5. Gym is good. But I recommend not to overload yourself. Trust me, 30-45 minutes of moderate exercises (and 15 minutes of cardio max!) is enough for the start.
    I hope you don't mind my few tips and hope they are somehow helpful.
    P.S. If you need some recipes on breakfast or lunch, dinner, etc. - just ask! Have a lovely day and easy weight loss!

4. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

Hi Kate,

Your so sweet, thank you so much.
    I haven't had any alcohol since that little slip.
    I ended up killing myself at the gym on Saturday and Sunday and so last night I was EXHAUSTED. I did 42 minutes and then 102 minutes, so I think that was a bit too much.
    I've been weighing in, and I think i've lost about 2 kilos but I'm not sure of my exact starting weight.. it was between 106-107 and now i'm 105 but weigh in day isn't until thursday.

I'd love some recipes if you have them, especially for lunch and dinner.
    Hope you have a great day too!

5. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

Well the next few days have been good.
    I've been eating 1200 calories or less.. I know that's not much.. But I am just not hungry.
    I went to the gym Saturday/Sunday/Monday and i've burnt 1665 calories in that time which I think is good.
    I hope to go again tonight if i'm feeling up to it.

I've been great with water, and making good-ish food choices.
    Not sure about dinner for tonight though.

I sadly need to keep track of when I'm going number 2 because I can't remember that last time I went.
    Maybe I need to take something, but I really hate that stuff....

I weighed in at 155.5 this morning which is a bit disappointing.. I should have lost more.... my estimate is that I should have been at 1.5 kilos lost at least..
    It's possible that I started at 107kg though...

I need to cut myself a break though, and just keep at it and see how i'm doing at the end of this month.
    Gotta keep going... not give up.

6. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi, sweetie!
    It's a pleasure to help you, so here are few recipes I was using:
    1. Brunch / Lunch (optional) : 1 banana; 1 apple; water (or green tea).
    2. Snack:
    yogurt 1.5% fat.
    3. Dinner: oatmeal (milk, raisins, berries, nuts; choose whatever you like).
    4. Brunch / Lunch: 1 orange (banana, apple, mango, any fruit, your choice) and yogurt 1.5% fat.
    5. Snack:
    cottage cheese mixed with fruit and some nuts.
    6. Dinner: boiled chicken (breast) .

My plan was not to fry anything. Just eating fresh, boiled or stewed food. And counting calories is helpful too. I know it's annoying and uncomfortable at first, but I made a note on my fridge so I shouldn't remember this.) ) (These recipes are only that I remembered of, I should check my other notes, maybe I'll find something else) .
    P.S. Since this kind of diet was way to different from what I used to eat before, I needed some "stimulants" for my mood and state. So I was making "energy cocktails": water with lemon and ginger; green tea+lemon (lime) and tsp of honey; hot chocolate is good; green tea+cane sugar+lemon or fresh mint+ vitamin C. Here you go! But if you feel bouncy with the pills, then you probably don't need these drinks. I used to sleep badly, so I needed them) ). Okay, I guess that's it, I wish you a beautiful day and looking forward your posts!

7. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

Well I weighed in this morning at 104.8kg :)
    I am going to call my starting weight 107kg because that's what I feel I was at on the morning I first started on the digital scales weighing in..
    semantics I know..

So a lost of 2.2 kilos for my first week, of course like everyone I would have liked more but that's life.
    I'm going to try and get my calories up to about 1400 per day, I think for a while not having enough is going to affect me.

8. deebee

deebee New Member
    Registered

Hi!

Why are you going to up your calories? 1200 is the right amount for weight loss.
    2.2 loss is great you should be very proud!

Dee ;)

9. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

I've done weight loss before and noticed that I actually lost more when I was eating 1500 and burning 500-400 calories.
    So net was around 1000 or so..

At 1200 minus 4-500... my nett calories are LOW.
    I have months and months of weight loss to go.. and I don't want to platue eventually.

10. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Well this effect may come from "fear" of your body to not get enough nutrients it needs. Sometimes our body can get calories and turn them to fat tissue even from carrots! Diet is a stress for the body, so it acts weird sometimes) ) . Maybe you do right with increasing calories a little bit. If you say last time it helped, my suggestion - do it:)
    P.S. I'm curious about the results) ) Take care, caragh87!

11. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

At day 13.. that's really hard to believe... 2 weeks tomorrow.
    It's going fast so I think that's a good thing.

I haven't been great with my exercise this week, my emotions have been getting the better of me with everything going on in my life.
    I weigh in tomorrow and I am expecting about 103.5 which is a loss of 1.3kg

I'm mad for spreadsheet's because I'm a bit of a nerd.
    If I do my calculations.. based on a day of 1200 calories in today.. I'm only sitting at 400 after lunch so it's achievable.
    My average calories in is 1330 and my average calories out is 216.. so that's a net of 1114 which equal's an estimated loss of 3.41kg which is the lowest weight i've hit on the scales this week, and what I estimate i'll be at tomorrow.

It's amazing how the numbers add up for me.. Calories in.. calories out.. = My weight loss

I really need to get my head more in the game with exercise as I know this WILL make a big difference overall.
    If I continue and loss 1 kg per week, i'll be at goal 39 weeks from today :D COME ON OCTOBER :D

12. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Time flies!
    Although my total weight loss took me about 2 years (plus minus) , I was completely busy with home stuff and work...Plus my workouts, so I didn't noticed how it flew away!
    Exercise will change the picture, you're right, just remember not to starve yourself. Because when you workout, you lose a lot more calories and your body still needs some for living) ) )
    One of the ladies suggested to use a fridge note with list of everyday products/meals. This way you can compose perfect meals with optimal calories you need.

Kate

13. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

Weighed in this morning at 104 which was up 400grams from my lowest weight of the week.
    I know it's only a few hundred grams, but it bothered me a bit..

I ate late in the evening and drank heaps of water..so maybe that was the issue.
    Not sure.

Anyway.. still at it.. no huge binges in a week.
    No alcohol in 2 weeks..

Just gotta exercise.. and stop letting my emotional well being dictate when I can do that.

I don't really wanna up my calories.. but I feel like I should be moving more.. I dunno..

Just gotta keep going.

14. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

Still annoyingly at 104 but I know that I probably deserve it.
    I've been so lazy with my exercise :( I have no excuses.
    I'm 3 weeks with no alcohol, i've craved it a little but not too much.

I don't get hungry but I know I have to eat, I really hate thinking about food all the time.
    But at the same time, when I eat something and then it's not satisfying I get SO annoyed.

I go back to the doctors on the 9th so I would REALLY like to get to 5 kilos before then.
    To do that, I need to eat 1200 calories a day and average about 250 calories of exercise a day.. That CANT be that hard.
    I really need to motivate myself to spend a few hours exercising on the weekends. Maybe that should be a walk and a swim as well as the gym.

I know the method, I just need to put it into practice.

I'm really worried about my cycle, which has suddenly become a lot longer. I need to get a blood test done.

15. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, come on caragh87! Cheer up, please! ;) Is there anyone who can support you at home? It means and helps a lot!
    I can't understand when people say they hate exercising and trying to 'find time' and trick themselves to do it regularly, because I personally LOVE to train my body!
    But it was hard at the beginning, when I was super overweight, true! Little by little I just made exercises my second job - the business you must do no matter what!
    Keep saying: no exceptions, no tricks, just you and your OBLIGATORY diet plan. The best way is hire personal coach, but... I know expensive..
    Oh, well fingers crossed for you - only willpower and spare time can help to regulate your exercise plan.
    XO
    Kate

16. caragh87

caragh87 New Member
    Registered

Well here I am at day 30 or more actually. I've had 3-4 days off the tablets as I try to not always take them on the weekends.
    I'll be going back to the doctors, maybe I will go tonight actually and see what she says about my loss.

Weighed in at 102.3 yesterday which is a total lost of 4.7 from my highest at 107. I really hope she doesn't want to weigh me though because I weigh a lot more at the end of the day and she may not believe I've progressed. Also when I went in there I thought I weighed 105 but actually started at 107.
    Anyway I am still at it, this week is my birthday which I know will be hard. I'm going to try and be as good as I can in the days leading up and then won't be too hard on myself going forward.

Still have a long way to go though, can't WAIT to be back under 100kg and then more, and more.

A lot of people scoff at the amount of weight I want to lose but I think 65kg is maintainable for me.. and that's where I want to be at.
    No more getting 75kg and giving up.
    Need to do more exercise though I know this, I know this.. Why can't I just make myself do it more often!

17. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Happy B-Day darling!
    I don't know the exact date, but you deserve to hear kind words all week long!
    Wish you WEIGHT LOSS lol;), no side effects, health and have fun no matter what!
    Cook yourself something tasty, but try to not give up on the plan, please!