Just started...Getting Married at the end of the year

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Ezza1989, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Ezza1989

Ezza1989 New Member
    Registered

Hey guys - long winded story below so here are the basics summed up

Female, 29 Years old
    Starting weight: 68.6
    Goal Weight: 55 Kilos

I'm 29 and started Duromine on Saturday the the 23rd of June. I never actually considered taking it so here is a bit of backstory.

Always a slim kid riding around on my bike and being outside. When I entered high school I went through a slight chubby stage. Nothing bad and to be honest I didn't notice. From what I can tell this seems to be a family trait. I was probably around a size 12-14. At 16 I naturally slimmed down to a 10 and when by the time I was 18 I was naturally a size 8.

I just ate what was given to me, and It wasn't particularly healthy. Grew up eating coco pops for breakfast or corn flakes smothered in sugar. Lunch was whatever mum packed (usually including 2 chocolates) and dinner was your standard meet and three veggies. When I moved out of home at 19 I pretty much lived off fast food, microwave dinners and coco pops. I lost even more weight somehow though, I'm assuming because I was a poor student who didn't eat such big portions? I did not particularly exercise.

In my 20s I maintained at a size eight which for me was anywhere from 50-60kilos. I wasn't doing anything or watching what I was eating. I discovered beer and partying during this time :p but it wasn't until say 23 I noticed a little bit of weight, but ignored it as it wasn't unusual for myself to gain 5kilos in the winter and lose it in the summer.

But by the time I was 25 that weight wasn't shifting....I have quite large breasts and they got even bigger and this was probably the worst thing. I started exercising regularly, running 4 times a week and lost weight but always seemed to get to 65kilos, plato and then lose motivation and gain it again.

I was trying to eat healthier at this stage too, I'd cut all alcohol out on weekdays, but to be honest looking back I regularly screwed myself. Even in portion sizes, not really understanding what I was eating or at some points just giving up in frustration. My mum passed when I was young, and before that she was sick for some time. This often meant take out or easy meals. It also meant I never learnt to cook. I taught myself obviously but my portions were often wayyyy too big.

Then I broke my wrist last year. I was unable to work - My job is very active. I was at home for three months and not allowed to exercise at all. The weight stacked on and I got up to 75kilos. It was the first time in my life I'd ever felt physically uncomfortable with my weight. I looked back and realized just ho much my weight had impacted me-I had lost a lot of confidence and wore baggy clothes a lot (even though before it wasn't anything too terrible.) I decided to try the 5:2 when I went back to work and try to eat healthier and meal plan.

I manged this fairly easy. A typical fast day would include a small coffee, Tuna with rice, or just canned tuna and then a small healthy meal at home. I calorie counted with Fitness pal and the weight started to fly away. People were commenting on it and I felt so good!

And then I hit 65kilos...and nothing. I went on holiday. I didn't particularity pig out and was active and I came back three kilos heavier!

I booked an appointment with my doctor to see where I was going wrong. She told me that when your body gets used to being a certain weight, it will always try and maintain that weight. So that's why many people find it hard to lose weight beyond a certain point. She agreed what I was doing with the 5:2 was good. I was frustrated because I wanted to be 60 kilos for our wedding...she then prescribed me duromine. She told me I could combine optifast with it but that I could only do it for a month as it wasn't good, but that might shock my body into it.

So here I am started on Saturday, skipped Sunday and its now Thursday. So far have had pretty bad side effects, dry mouth, dry lips, some headaches, nausea, and little sleep. But they are improving.

I'm not doing the optifast. I want to learn how to portion control and just cook healthier. I've booked hello fresh for next week-That way I can learn to cook healthy from scratch and eat the right sized portions. I'm trying to cut out beer and drink wine. I find with beer I can drink a lot easily without noticing, where as wine I don't drink even half as much. Although I am trying to stay away as much as possible from alcohol.... I'm also looking at joining a gym.

So yes very long winded I know. But hopefully duromine can help me get to where I want to be. My goal is 55kilos, but I would be happy with 60 kilos by the wedding!

Michelle O'Shea, April and babbles like this.
  2. Ezza1989

Ezza1989 New Member
    Registered

End of week one today

Female, 29 Years old

Week one weight in: 65 kilos
    Loss of 3.6 kilos!

April and babbles like this.
  3. babbles

babbles Member
    Registered

Great job with your first week! You should definitely be 100% proud :D

April likes this.
  4. Ezza1989

Ezza1989 New Member
    Registered

End of week two today

Female, 29 Years old

Week two weight in: 62.1 Kilos!
    Total loss so far of 6.5kilos!

5. babbles

babbles Member
    Registered

Wow thats fantastic! Such a big loss in 2 weeks!! 6kg was my total loss for the whole month!!
    Any tips you could give?

April likes this.
  6. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Ezza, *touch wood*, the dreaded plateau has fallen under your efforts!!! YAY! Congratulations!!!! It would be very nice if you could share a bit more of what you eat and whether you started exercsiing already. Thanks for sharing your story and have a great week!

babbles likes this.
  7. Ezza1989

Ezza1989 New Member
    Registered

Hey Babbles and April.

In regards to exercise I used to run a fair bit, say at least once a week (5km) sometimes 3 times a week (anywhere from 5km-10km) but broke my wrist a little while ago and haven't gotten back into it since. My job itself is fairly active. Lots of walking and sometimes lifting. I'll do 10,000-15,000 steps easy. I found my biggest issue wasn't exercise, but my eating. Its really is true what they say about 80% diet, 20 % exercise. (Which sucks.) When I was running I was super fit. But because of the calories I was putting in, I would always put the weight back on. Even if I was good all week, generally a 6 pack of beer on top of my weekend (an extra 720 calories) would wreck everything. That being said, when I was 64kilos in June 2016 my fat percentage was 32% while right now at 64 kilos its showing as 34% not a huge difference but I have to say I appeared much more toned at that same weight.

I have wanted to start up running again while on duromine but haven't due to the side effects. I sometimes get light headed, occasionally have a racing heart (though this is going away and only happens every so often now) but mostly its the dry mouth and lack of sleep! It super cold here right now, so to be honest I'm finding it hard to motivate myself. But as I'm halfway through I plan to at least start doing some walking/hiking and bike riding. I know weight lifting builds muscle and muscle burns more fat, so gaining some muscle is the best way to lose weight but I don't enjoy going to the gym and lifting weights. My advice would be find something you enjoy and do that. But you do have to push yourself some mornings (you feel great after though)

As for food, before this I was doing the 5:2 to lose weight. Basically for five days you eat the normal amount of 1200 calories (for women) and for the other two days, fast days you restrict your calorie count to 500 calories. I found 500 calories too hard and usually averaged around 800-900 calories.

I need my coffee in the morning :p so I would opt to have a small lunch or no lunch and a normal sized dinner or larger dinner. I used small containers (like tiny ones) to help control my portion sizes at lunch. I would eat slow and make sure I drank enough water. If I got hungry I would have an apple or some fruit as a snack. But after a while I found that I didn't really get hungry.

Where did I go wrong? I would go weeks and weeks at a time doing well, then I would get frustrated and give in to temptations. It started as "Oh I forgot my lunch I'll just grab take away." Or someone offering me something like a chocolate donuts that I knew would put me over and eating it anyway. Another issue, was my own relationship with food itself.

I would get home tired and just cook something "easy" like frozen chips, processed meats and other processed food, or take away. Or I would cook "healthy" but not realize that my portions were wayyyy too large. That goes for measuring up what I was putting into my food as well. (such as oil, butter etc.)

The biggest thing that has helped me is getting organized. I did this by ordering hellofresh. Its not the cheapest option but it has taught me a lot already about cooking and portion control. (I can also estimate how many calories I will consume that night) I never really enjoyed cooking because I felt like I never really knew what I was doing. Hellofresh has actually got me enjoying cooking. I think staying organized and prepared is one of the biggest parts. Because it takes away a lot of your temptation when you already have all your food with you, and your week planned out.

So what am I doing at the moment?

To try and beat my plateau the doctor gave me the duromine for one month and advised me to go on optifast. But she said not to do it for longer than a month because its extremely unhealthy, but that it might be what I needed to help me lose the weight. She did go over with me what I had been doing and agreed the 5:2 was a great way to keep healthy.

I did not do the optifast as I knew I still had a bit to learn about portion control and healthy eating. I didn't want to use a diet, get off it and put all the weight on. I viewed this as my chance to really change my habits. If I don't change my habits-then whats the point? I will just put the weight back on! So its normally a coffee in the morning, and apple to tie me over and hellofresh for dinner. I've also cut out beer, and if I do drink I will only have one glass of red wine.

On average I am consuming around 900 calories a day which is what is causing the extreme weight loss. Its not exactly healthy. But its easy as obviously I am not hungry (and have to force myself to eat.)

My plans are to continue planning my meals, and a calorie counting. I also bought some scales, so I can weigh my food and accurately calculate what I am putting into my body.

I've included two attachments, the first of a normal day (before duromine, I struggle to eat much on duromine) The second shows what I am eating now. I average between 750-900 calories a day.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 7.35.15 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 7.35.15 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 7.31.58 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 7.31.58 pm.png

April likes this.
  8. Ezza1989

Ezza1989 New Member
    Registered

End of week three

Female, 29 Years old

Week two weight in: 60.6
    Total loss so far of 8 kilos

9. babbles

babbles Member
    Registered

Fantastic weigh in after week 3!! Keep it up

10. Michelle O'Shea

Registered

Your week consisting of 7 days?

What was your diet like throughout that week? Normal... salads... ?

11. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

HUGE result! Congrats! Looks like using Duromine to kick start the weight loss was a very wise decision!

12. Ezza1989

Ezza1989 New Member
    Registered

End of week four, FINAL WEEK

Female, 29 Years old

Week four weigh in 58.8kg
    Total loss of 9.8kilos!

Extremely happy with the results. Back to a size 8. Body fat dropped from 36% to 32%

Michelle O'Shea likes this.
  13. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

WOOOOOW!!!! Congratulations!!! Fantastic result and just a liiiitle bit off the goal weight. Amazing! Especially, considering the fact how long you have been trying to shift the weight from the dead point. What's the plan now? The wedding's at the end of the year...
    using the scales, counting the calories, just as you were doing during the journey? or you added something? I am so happy for your success!!!

14. Romi

Romi New Member
    Registered

Congratulations! What an amazing result you have achieved! Please may I ask what strength you were using?

April likes this.
  15. MaMthombeni

MaMthombeni New Member
    Registered

wow Im inspired ... well done

April likes this.
  16. Ezza1989

Ezza1989 New Member
    Registered

Hey guys thought I’d check in. Weight has stayed off, I am hovering around 59.5 kilos on average. Still aiming for 1200, some days over some under. :)

Romi likes this.
  17. Ezza1989

Ezza1989 New Member
    Registered

30gsm for one month

Romi likes this.