Just started & a little nervous (but excited) :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jojodes, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Jojodes

Jojodes New Member
    Registered

Hey :)

So a little about me to kick this off.

I'm 34 years old, I have three kids - 14yo, 8yo and 6yo.
    I am currently at 101kg and around 167cm tall. I am classified as obese (hearing that word associated with ME was devastating!!).

I am the biggest I have ever been and it has been really affecting my self esteem to the point I'm beginning to resent having to leave the house, which is why I decided I needed a kick start to get myself moving again. Diabetes also runs in the family (seems to prefer the female side), and Mum's hubby was recently diagnosed as a borderline diabetic - so that's been on my mind a lot also.
    I have been wanting to try Duromine for a while now, but was scared of the side effects. After a few months of umming and ahh-ing, I decided I may as well give it a go. If it doesn't agree with me, I can just stop.

So yesterday was THE day. I went to see my GP and she has put me on Duromine 30mg and also having blood tests etc to check glucose levels and cholesterol.

Today is day 1 and I'm both excited and nervous about where this will take me. Hopefully it agrees with me and I get some results. I'm not expecting to drop down to a size 10 over night (but how nice would that be?! Lol)...but I intend to start eating healthier and exercising more.

I'm glad I found this forum, as the few people I've spoken to about Duromine didn't really have much to say about it, so I haven't told anyone that I'm taking it. At least here I can read your stories and get advice etc if I need it :)

Anyways...thanks for having me on board...I look forward to following everyone's stories!

:) xx

Melmo and 5Dee_Dee like this.
  2. KaylaLouise

KaylaLouise Well-Known Member
    Registered

Welcome :) Don't worry we have lots to say!!

Melmo and Jojodes like this.
  3. FiFiFish

FiFiFish Member
    Registered

It can be a little scary, but take it one day at a time.
    Take your duromine as early as possible each day, drink plenty of water, make sensible healthy food choices and take it one day at a time.
    If you find the side effects are too much, perhaps, starting on a lower dose for the first month might help. I have known a few people who have been prescribed the higher dose and had to go back to a lower dose due to side effects, but still had losses on the lower dose.

Kate, Jojodes and KaylaLouise like this.
  4. CandyM

CandyM Member
    Registered

Welcome :) I am here for two weeks and on Duromine for the same amount of time , I have found this forum to be so insightful and positive. Like Fifi says a lower dose can still provide losses with less side effects , I am on the 15mg on a 3 month script. I have 18kgs left to lose. Started at 83 currently on 78. Good luck on your journey xoxo

Melmo and Jojodes like this.
  5. Jojodes

Jojodes New Member
    Registered

Thank you :)

It's been a mixed bag kind of day.
    It took a while to kick in, and then I had a huge energy spurt followed by feeling a little air headed. It was nothing major and something I'll either hopefully get used to or it will ease over time.

I've still been hungry throughout the day which is good as I was worried about not being able to eat. And it's been surprisingly easy to opt for healthier options. Lunch was an apple and half a ham/cheese sandwich and dinner was salad & beef wraps.

Day one - 98/100 :)

Riss78 and Melmo like this.
  6. KerrieS

KerrieS New Member
    Registered

Hi,

I started on Friday with 30g, and no side effects at all. Do not feel hungry and can already see a difference in my face - crazy huh! I have a lot to lose so hoping Duromine will give me the kick start I need and then once I've got my eating under control It will come off with exercise.

Have you exercised much this week? I am a little uncertain obviously because calorie intake has gone how much I can do - maybe will start jogging/walking next week.

Has your doctor arranged for you to come back in for a weight in - mine has after 2 weeks, desperately trying not to buy a set of scales so that I can hopefully have a nice surprise next Friday.

Love this forum - good luck!

Melmo and christine V like this.
  7. Jojodes

Jojodes New Member
    Registered

I haven't specifically exercised, but I have been moving around a lot more and make a conscious decision to park furthest away from the shops etc.
    I also walk my dog approx' 3 k's most evenings with a stop at the park for the kids.
    I'm trying not to over do it in the first couple of day while I'm getting used to how it effects me etc and then I'll start ramping things up again.

I go back to my doctor on Monday to check how I'm progressing and to also get blood test results.
    She weighed me in the surgery - I was 101kg. I bought some digital scales at Kmart this evening and they're showing me 103.1 and 101.9 which is confusing! I'll wait and see what the doc's scales say before panicking though lol - and then I can adjust my scales to her's.

I wish you all the best with your journey! I'm so glad to have found other people travelling the same road :)
    Good luck xx

Melmo likes this.
  8. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello, Jojodes!
    About the scales. Just make sure you weigh yourself at the same time regularly: for example in the morning with no clothes on (best option) before breakfast. Let's say...once a week or two. This way you will be able to see the most precise weight / weight loss results.
    I like your attitude to new lifestyle and the way you are realizing what to do. It is ok not to rush into exercising, your evening walks and moving around the house - great for the start. Soon you will feel the need to exercise a bit more))) I am sure. When your kids are out and you have few spare minutes, you can do some dancing or yoga, pilates at home. Lots of stuff on the internet or maybe even on TV. 15-20 minutes a day is more than enough at this point. Wish you a good luck and no side effects, darling!

Melmo likes this.
  9. KaylaLouise

Registered

Hey Jojodes,

With the difference in scales it's honestly normal. When I first weighed in at the docs it was at night and his scales weigh me at 110 I was like awesome already lost some weight. Went home and weighed in mine and it showed up as 111.6. I decided to go with my scales as I'd being weighing on them more.

After a month I went back to the doc for a check up and another script. My scales had shown that morning just over 106, his scales said I was 101. I expected his scaled to be 2kgs lighter like before but not like 3 or 4 kgs. I was weighing the same clothes as I wore to the first weigh on as well.

So I still go by mine scales. best advise is to choose one scale and just go off that and like Kate said keep it consistent from the time of day, weekday and same clothes or naked if you want.

I still have mid week weigh ins to see how I'm progressing but Saturday is my official day and what I count to the total loss.

Melmo likes this.
  10. Jojodes

Jojodes New Member
    Registered

The thing that's frustrating me is that when I first bought the scales, I unpacked them and sat them on the kitchen floor, then stood on them to test them out. It came up with a reading of 104kg. So I moved them to the bathroom and tried again, this time 102kg. Being curious, I moved them over an inch and they read as 101.5kg :/

I'm keeping them in the same spot now so I can at least get an idea of what I'm losing at least.

Thanks for the tips ladies :)

I am feeling great! I've been using an app called 'Fitbit' where I can log exercise I've done, including incidental exercise (cooking dinner, dusting etc) and I can also put in what I've eaten and it automatically counts the calories for me. It's American based, so it's not 100% accurate for some things, but it gives me a base to work on. It also automatically adds on the average amount of calories you would burn just from everyday stuff (breathing, etc).So that gives me an idea of where I am and keeps me on track.

A big thing for me so far also is that I am a HUGE Diet Coke addict usually 4-5 cans per day and zero water! But...since Tuesday I have had 3 cans of Diet Coke (none at all today!) and have been guzzling the water down.
    I have gone 'off track' twice (small bowl of potato chips and 1 chocolate croissant), which I'm not proud of, but not beating myself up about it either (I would normally eat 1 large bag of chips each night) and I was still within my calorie budget.

Overall, still going ok.

All the best for tomorrow's weigh in KaylaLouise! :):D

Melmo likes this.
  11. KaylaLouise

Registered

I know the frustration with the scales such temperamental little things. I make sure I weigh behind the same line in the tiles as well. I always find the first result I get isn't necessarily accurate so I jump back on 2 or 3 times and I usually get the same number then each time. I didn't buy my scales, my sister did but I think she would of bought like pretty decent ones. There meant to be able to tell you fat percentage and hydration percentage but I don't follow that on there.

You sound like you're really in a good head space :) we're not perfect we are going to make not so good decision or over indulge. That was me just last week ans i was feeling pretty down and out and yet this week I'm feeling great really got my head in the game, really focused for this week's weigh in, been fighting temptation the last 2 nights not to eat the dorritos that happen to be next to my bed where my bf left them. So I feel like that's an achievement in it self :)

So keep it up! you're doing great :) you set in to place everything to keep you on track :)

Melmo likes this.
  12. KaylaLouise

Registered

P.s. great improvement in the water font.

Those soft drinks are soooooo bad even the diet and zero ones. I honestly many years ago used to live off the full sugar ones and like you could say I had a glass of water maybe every 3 or so days I'd be doing good.

Sometimes if I'm have a treat I'll feel like having coke but I just can't do it as I know how much sugar is in it. And I know it can be hard to break that habit, even when I had lost weight in the past I still had issues going to the movies as I had this food relationship where going to the movies meant I get coke, chocolate and popcorn. I remember being good one day and not getting them and then literally chucking at tantrum during the previews to my bf at the time because he was saying no to me trying to help and I just wanted them. He gave up and I got them.

It's hard but every step in the right direction no matter how small, will be the best decision you've ever made in the long run

Melmo likes this.