In only three months? Anybody had a repeat course?

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Melmo, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Melmo

Melmo Member
    Registered

So after a nice loss in my first week, to an acceptable loss in the second I feel as though I have stalled. I am constantly thinking about how long I have left on duromine and how I can manage to lose what I need to lose in the remaining time. Did/does anyone else feel this way? I have tried hard to lose weight without duromine and I haven't been successful. I am really starting to doubt I can get to my goal before the duromine course runs out and I go back to not losing any weight despite my best effort.
    My doctor has said duromine can only be prescribed for 3 mths, and then people have to go off of it. This makes sense, as it has some addictive stuff and I don't want to be an addict by any means. But what about a repeat course after a period of time off? Has anybody been prescribed a second course?
    TIA x

2. Typical_Jules

Typical_Jules Active Member
    Registered

interesting question. i have read about people taking Duramine ( again) after a year or so. but im not sure about the length of time where a doc will re prescribe Duramine. i am also faced with the same situation, i think i got it covered though, i have totally changed my eating habits and have gotten rid of the sugar cravings ( thanks Duramine) so by the time the 12 week is up i believe the new eating habits have well and truly been formed. i am 100% that i will not lose all the weight i want by the end of this course, so im going to continue with the same eating habits and exercise that i have been doing.

Melmo likes this.
  3. Melmo

Melmo Member
    Registered

Thanks Jules, I wondered at first if it was going to help me. When i heard it was mainly an appetite suppressant I didn't think it would work. I have been counting kJ's and exercising for over a year before duromine without any success unfortunately. My diet over the last year 1200-1500calories and I've used myfitnesspal to log it, and doing between 30-45mins cardio a day. I have lost 3.3kgs with duromine so far, and most of that was in the first week. My fear is I wont lose enough before the course is up. My dr gave me it to try and kickstart my metabolism, and my worry is I wont lose any weight without it x

Typical_Jules likes this.
  4. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

From my signature you can see that I have been on D for a while (you can see my signature if you are on a computer. I don't think you can on a mobile device). I also have a LOT to lose. My doc just wrote a script for my 4th month and upped the dose from 30mg to 40mg. I have to go back every month and he wants me to have a break but 2 weeks was mentioned and this is only because he wants me to get some blood tests done because my initial blood work showed there may be a thyroid issue and that may mean having to go off the D.
    My doctor has known me for ever (I have been with the same surgery my whole life), he knows me well and that I will not abuse the D. Also I started this with 50 kilos to lose and this will take a long time. I am having great success with the D and to remove it now would be a setback.
    Every doctor has their own views on D and every patient is an individual. My weight loss is a long term prospect and the D is not a quick fix drug. Talk to your doctor. You may just have to have a break for a couple of weeks or a month. Use it as a time to test yourself and see how you go, you may surprise yourself.

Melmo likes this.
  5. Melmo

Melmo Member
    Registered

Thank you Smick :) Maybe my dr will consider doing something similar for me :) I am only two and a half weeks in but I will stay optimistic that at some point after time off I may be able to get a new script if I need it. I just know I haven't lost without it, and everybody from my physio and nutritionist, to my dr expected I would.
    I am in a catch22 situation; I have a type of muscular dystrophy which combined with all this extra weight is making it very hard to exercise enough. I do 30-60mins on an exercise bike with the resistence set to zero, and to be able to do other stuff even a x-trainer, I need to lose weight. As my muscles are already weakened by the disease, the extra weight is too much for them to carry for too long.
    But I feel pretty positive today. I am remembering my dr said duromine may kickstart my weightloss, so I am hoping that's what it does, kinda like a reboot of the metabolism :) If that's the case the exercise im doing and the low cal diet will mean I can keep losing x

christine V likes this.
  6. A.BsWeightlossJourney

Registered

This is what confuses me, they say they give it to your for three months, but my dr only gave me one repeat. So there's 30 tablets in the box, one repeat is another 30 tablets.... So only 2 months supplied not three?!

Am I going about this all wrong?

7. Tracy83

Tracy83 Member
    Registered

I'm in South Africa and my doctor gave me a 6 month script for the 30mg. Noted that he's known me for years and understands my struggle - he was also massively overweight and lost a huge amount recently. I didn't specifically ask for D, he suggested it after we chatted and he did warn me that a chemist may ask me to renew my script after 3 months and not fulfil it until the 6th month as prescribed.