Hypothyroid and Duromine

Discussion in 'Duromine Questions and Answers' started by Charleegirl18, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Charleegirl18

Charleegirl18 New Member
    Registered

Hey all,
    Just before I started Duromine, my dr checked my thyroid levels. My levels were showing an underactive thyroid. My mother and aunty both have Hashimoto, and my dr said going on my current levels, Im heading towards being diagnosed with the same auto-immune disease. He did advise that my levels dont warrant hormone replacement, but I’ll be tested in 2 months to check my levels.
    Its been 3 weeks since I started on 30mg tablets. The first week I was on isoweigh shakes, to maximise the weightloss. I went from 92.5kg to 90kg. My symptoms have been varied, dry mouth, swollen taste buds, nausea but the insomnia was the worst. There were nights I couldnt sleep at all, which made the next day a struggle to want to move. I read the forums and adjusted my diet to eating smaller, regular meals. Salads, fruits and nuts, trying to avoid carbs, eliminated my daily coke drink. I began increasing my exercise and pushed through being tired. But the insomnia was unbearable. So I stopped for 24hrs and started taking the D every second day to give my body a break. I was starting to sleep better, so after 5 days, I began taking them regularly again. However since the first week, I’ve bounced from 89.7 to 91kg. And to make mattera worse I’ve developed another symptom... I have a constant swollen feeling in my throat. It started as a feeling of something being stuck just behind my tongue, to moving further down my throat. Occassionally I find it difficult to swallow food. Ive had this feeling for a week now and Im beyond gutted.
    I’ve booked into to see the dr for next week to discuss my options, but... I thought I’d check here too.... is there anything I can do?

2. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

Hey @Charleegirl18, in regards to the swollen feeling in your throat, I would get yourself to your GP a lot sooner!. If you cant, might you be able to call and speak to him or her?

Are you on any other medications? How is your water intake? Does it ease the swollen feeling?

It is peculiar that you didn't have it the first week, nor did the symptoms show themselves the second week when you were taking D every alternate day.

Could it be any type of food/washing powder/scent allergy? Anything new you are using on yourself or around the house?

At least with Dr she/he can check you out for all the usual bugs going around ie; strep throat, sinus infection etc... before ruling out Duromine.

3. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

I also wanted to add if your Dr DOES rule out Duromine and you are still suffering from insomnia - you could try taking it earlier in the day to see if it helps, or like me - I went and got myself an OTC (over the counter) sleeping aid.

What I do is if I go for more than 2 nights with less than 6-8 hours sleep in that 48 hour period, I then take a sleeping aid to help me. This has become my new regular pattern going into week 5 :)

4. Charleegirl18

Charleegirl18 New Member
    Registered

Hi Rava!
    We have a show holiday tomorrow and the Dr was booked out for the Friday. I might give them a call Friday to discuss Incase they want to see me earlier. I was concerned about an allergic reaction with the throat swelling, but it’s been a week now and it hasn’t gotten worse. Any signs of impairing my breathing would have me at the Dr straight away.

In the first days I had a feeling like I had a hair in the back of my mouth, but put that down to my taste buds that swelled with the D. The following week is when the feeling changed from back of the mouth to the throat.

Thanks to my dry mouth my water intake has been better than ever. Still only averaging 500mls-1lts per day. But compared to 0mls which I usually did this is a massive improvement. It does give a little relief from the swelling when I drink, but it’s a minute at most. I’m not on any other medication and nothing else is different at home that I can think of.

I was trying to combat the insomnia with melatonin and while I had temporary relief with falling asleep, the most I was averaging was 3-5hrs a night of very broken sleep. I had thought about a sleeping aid, but I was unsure if taking the D and a sleeping aid was the best idea. It’s good to know this is an option.

5. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

Bugger I'm at a loss!

Maybe you can try sucking on some ice? might give you a little extra relief :).

The only other thing I can think of is too take an antihistamine - maybe go down to your pharmacy explain what you are on and see what they recommend?

I am using "Restavit" as a sleeping aid and it actually knocks me for 6! Half a tablet usually does the trick for me.

Just had a quick search on the rx list and there has been some type of interaction between Duromine and Melatonin... When did you start the melatonin? and when did you use it last?

~Edited to add: Not a common reaction though, doesn't state what is was and only that is should be monitored.

#5 Rava, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. Charleegirl18

Charleegirl18 New Member
    Registered

Lol thats a good idea @Rava, didnt think about ice!

Hubby always has a never ending supply of claratyne, I’ll take one tonight and see how that goes. I havent had a D today in the hope of some sleep tonight.

I started taking the melatonin about 4 days into taking the D, and took it for about 4-5days? I havent had it in over a week.

7. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

Im back to the "Bugger! I really have no idea!!".

Please post and let me know how you get on though as I would love to hear about your journey *hugs*

8. Charleegirl18

Charleegirl18 New Member
    Registered

Me too! I was really hoping for a positive result with the D. Thank you for all your help!

Rava likes this.
  9. Plucky

Plucky Member
    Registered

Restavit is an antihistamine, the active ingredient causes the central nervous system to slow down which is why its effective as a sleep aid. I originally took it for allergies about 20 years ago before antidrowsy antihistamines became the norm. So @Charleegirl18 it may kill 2 birds with one stone (or pill in this case) for you.

10. Charleegirl18

Charleegirl18 New Member
    Registered

That sounds amazing! I will have to have a chat to the chemist! Thank you!

11. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

Ohhh thats great! as I wasn't aware either!! Thanks @Plucky :)

12. Charleegirl18

Charleegirl18 New Member
    Registered

Ok, so saw my dr Friday. He’s unsure why my throat feels swollen. So he’s taken me off the D for a week to see what happens.
    It’s now been 3 days since I’ve taken D and I still have swelling in my throat. Plus the come down from D is wiping my energy reserves.
    Will keep you all posted.

Rava likes this.
  13. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

14. Charleegirl18

Charleegirl18 New Member
    Registered

This week has been hard... Duromine sent me in to a massive rage/downer... I was pretty messed up. I think I am on the tail end of it now.. Would seem the D is not for me lol!
    I still have a feeling of something stuck in my throat but the swelling feeling has gone.. reporting to the Dr next monday, if there is still a feeling of something in my throat Im guessing I'm off for further tests.

15. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

Geez you have really had a bad time of it!

I really do hope everything works out ok for you *hugs*