How Likely Are Symptoms?

Discussion in 'Side-Effects of Duromine' started by ChubbyMummyNZ, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

Hi! I have had my script sitting in my draw for the last two months and I am too scared to start after reading about severe symptoms online such as stroke and psychosis.

I have been prescribed 30mg but GP has said I can open and take 15mg to get myself started. I just some encouragement please!! :)

2. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

All medications have side effects and risks.

Severe side effects from Duromine are rare.

The milder symptoms may still be too annoying for you and you can simply discontinue if you can’t find a work around to alleviate them or simply tolerate them.

In the end, it is a question of risk vs. benefit. Being overweight or obese has its own risks- cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stroke, etc.

If your GP who prescribed your Duromine was a good doctor they would have looked at your current health and past medical history to determine whether it was safe for you to take Duromine. For instance, stroke is more likely in someone with co-morbidities including hypertension as Duromine can increase blood pressure and so if you already have high blood pressure it could kick it into hyperdrive and increase the risk of stroke for example.

As for psychosis; which is possible, and a rare side effect, it is most commonly seen at very high dosages. The dosages prescribed have been shown to rarely produce that side effect. Stopping Duromine would stop this symptom- it is reversible.

The main message is: Be aware, but not alarmed.

If you’re concerned about side effects then the smallest dosage (i.e. 15mg) would result in less side effects- but depending on the person it may also result in less appetite suppression and less increased energy which is primarily responsible for weight loss with Duromine.

My advice would be to weigh the risks vs. the potential benefits, be aware of side effects but not alarmed, and read more positive reviews and motivational stories and less negative ones! Think positively.

Good luck making your decision and on your weight loss journey regardless if you choose to kickstart it with Duromine xx

BTW! I started Duromine yesterday and the first thing I noticed is that I was happier and more confident. I had loads more energy- I was working night shift and wasn’t tired in the slightest. I take Phenergan to sleep during the day so if insomnia is a problem I haven’t experienced it yet. No strokes or psychosis!

#2 Stargazer, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  3. Dre

Dre Member
    Registered

very good Stargazer..
    well done for the wonderful advice, our beautiful forum needs more people like you..
    you have just earned yourself a brownie point!
    they are hard to come by, just ask Kezzieb42 hehehe

oooops sorry Angel x

Hugs
    Dre

4. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Sooo sorry that there is no LOVE button! @Stargazer , you rock! Thank you so much for being supportive and for providing so much credible information!

@ChubbyMummyNZ , listen to what this woman tells you :) Yet I do have something to add to her supportive message. I've seen several examples of people, who were reading too many scary stories and were so scared to start Duromine that when they were actually taking it, they were "seeing" symptoms that weren't there. Only after calming down could they realise that everything was ok, and it was just their brain playing games with them.
    I am not saying that Duromine is a polivitamin. It is strong and it does have a potential for side effects. However, you can never know how it makes you feel until you try it, AND you can just NOT take it, if you feel bad. =) That's it. best of luck with your weight loss!!! No matter how you will do it, with or without Duromine, I wish you all the luck and willpower in the world!!! Cheers

5. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

Thanks so much @Stargazer and @April ! You have made me feel so much better about this. I was prescribed SSRIs after my little boy was born years ago and I had a massive reaction to them and ended up in hospital and my biggest fear is that I will put myself in that position again, not to mention my family.

I never ended up taking any medication but I do suffer, sometimes, from anxiety and am not medicated. If that makes sense, I am just worried I will “react” in the same way although my GP has said that it is unlikely as the drugs treat different parts of the brain. Thanks again!

6. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

I can’t speak to what “reaction” you had previously, without more information, to compare it to the mechanism of action and side effects of Duromine.

However, I can tell you that I also experience anxiety (panic disorder as well as generalised & social anxiety) and given that anxiety is a potential side effect of Duromine I was also concerned how it might affect my overall mood and levels of anxiety.

This is only my second day taking Duromine but so far it hasn’t caused panic attacks or severe mood swings (I normally have a lot of severe mood swings so I was worried it might make that worse but if anything it’s made me more relaxed and patient).

I am not taking any antidepressants currently (nor had any severe reaction to them in the past). It sounds like you aren’t either, but in case you are your doctor would have told you if there was a known interaction (not all interactions are known though) and it should never be taken with MAOIs.

I may not have had whatever reaction you’ve had in the past to an antidepressant, however I am in the same boat as you when it comes to anxiety. My point is, if you choose to take Duromine despite anxiety you won’t be alone and I’m always available to chat if you need to :)

Hopefully you don’t experience any unusual side effects or react unusually to it... It sounds like you’ve had bad luck in the past. Perhaps this is a new chapter for you though? You’ll never know until you try :)

April and ChubbyMummyNZ like this.
  7. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

Thank you so much @Stargazer for your replies. I feel so lucky!!! It suffered rare side effects from the SSRIs but haven’t been medicated since and they will never put me on anything like that in the future, if I needed it.

I guess I can try and then if I react I just stop taking! My doctor did prescribe me some anti anxiety meds to take if I had a flare up of anxiety but I would only take them if I really really needed to!

I am feeling a bit more relaxed about it now and I will start next weekend when my husband is home and maybe just start with the 15mg to see how they go. What dosage are you taking? Would be great to keep in touch and see how we are both going xx

8. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

I apologize for interfering with your discussion (I am so happy that you support each other). There is just one thing I am worried about… And it’s about opening Duromine capsule and taking its contents by mouth. You see, this capsule and some excipients in the caps are intended for providing a gradual release of the active substance, Phentermine. When you take it out and just swallow the contents you alter the release rate, which might result into worse side effects than you would have after taking the capsule. In addition, I am not sure how it will affect your esophagus, since it’s not intended for such administration. If you already bought 30mg, you can take one pill every other day, or start with taking a 2-day pause between the pills. This helps avoid excessive accumulation of the drug in your system and gives you time to check your sensations. On the other hand, if your doctor told you to do so… may be he knows better and I am just too cautious. =) Looking forward to your story and keeping fingers crossed for a great start! Have an amazing weekend!

9. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

No, April, you’re right. I kind of just assumed her doctor gave her two scripts (one for 15mg and one for 30mg) or a generic brand that had tablets that were allowed to be halved???

I definitely do not suggest opening the capsule and dividing the powder- it will result in an immediate action that will hit fast and hard then make you crash suddenly well before 10-12hrs (that’s how long it’s meant to last when taken in a capsule).

I’m taking 30mg from the start, ChubbyMummy :) I’m glad your doctor gave you something for anxiety in case you need it. The other thing to be aware of is that if you get the side effect of euphoria you may end up “depressed” after a few weeks (the literature isn’t specific).

Waiting for your hubby to come home is also a good idea. You need that support and extra outside perspective- sometimes those closest to us know us better than ourselves and they’re the first to pick up on anything that’s different or problematic.

In these circumstances, especially if you want to avoid taking any concomitant medications for anxiety, we need to practice very good self-care of ourselves! If you’ve seen a psychologist before then you know what I’m talking about with the relaxation techniques and stress management etc!

Having a support base like this forum where we can talk to like minded individuals should prove to be very useful to us!

April likes this.
  10. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

Thanks @April and @Stargazer
    My doctor told me to do this with a spoon full of yoghurt which should continue the slow release but maybe I should just take the full 30mg??

When you talk about “depressed” - what does this mean. Sorry for all the questions. Is it a reversible side effect? I am just so scared of going down that track!

11. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

The yogurt will not slow the absorption of the medication. Well, it will (by like half an hour, the time it takes your stomach to digest it), but not to the same extent the capsule does. You will still get a sudden increase and decrease in symptoms.

I wish I could tell you! The literature really isn’t specific, nor does it tell you how many people who reported those symptoms had previous mental health issues for them to be listed as a potential side effect for everyone- if the sample only contained otherwise healthy individuals then it’s possible (I think, personally) “anxiety” and “depression” for them may be “normal” for us (how often do we overlook signs we’re anxious until we’re literally in a panic attack- the high levels of sustained anxiety just feels normal to us over a long period of time) so we may not experience quite severe mood changes. On the other hand it may mean we have an even heightened reaction than the average user (if we experience those side effects at all).

I can only tell you how it affected me, really- the first day I felt very happy, relaxed and confident (less bitchy, irritable, negative, judgmental and hypercritical like I usually am). I could tell the drug was wearing off after the 10 hours as I felt those traits coming back on (this would be the psychostimulant effect wearing off which from some descriptions appears to be a lot worse for others than it was for me). Thankfully they did not *fully* re-emerge, however the next day (today) I felt half way between my normal low mood and the happiness (not quite euphoria, I think...) I experienced the day before (sadly not the same amount of happy).

I have experienced tachycardia and palpitations which I get from anxiety the closer I am to a panic attack normally, so this didn’t worry me as I knew it was simply a side effect of the Duramine (granted, I also have access to heart rate monitoring equipment and knowledge of other symptoms that would make the tachycardia and palpitations clinically significant or not). I could understand if those symptoms may cause others distress though- even evoke a panic attack thinking it could be something more sinister or just as a normal physiological reflex from those symptoms to go into panic mode.

Hope I’m not scaring you off here...

12. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

That makes totally sense! What my doctor said to me about the sustained release was that it is the resin the Phentermine is encapsulated in that gives it the spread out apsorbtion, not the capsule if that makes sense!

April likes this.
  13. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

That does make sense. You could risk it!

14. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

I think I will just do 15mg but take it in the capsule and get a new script for it. Do you think it would ok taking in the morning before work for the first time or if I should wait till a weekend?

15. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

I didn’t wait for a weekend, I took it before work.

I can see an argument for both sides: (a) if you have intolerable side effects then if you’re resting at home that will at least make it slightly more tolerable and less of a hinderance at work, but (b) if you’re anxious what side effects you might get then doing your usual routine at work may help you forget about constantly monitoring yourself for side effects and potentionally *giving* yourself side effects like anxiety just worrying about it.

I don’t know about you but when I’m working most of the time I don’t have enough time to think about anything but the job so I figured working would help take my mind off it (unfortunately it was a long weekend so I wasn’t that busy at work :( ).

16. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

Good advice! - did you notice any other symptoms other than palps & tachy?

17. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

Mental health wise? No. Physically, I still had hunger (actually that increased significantly) but lost interest in eating/appetite (so I’d stick to my calorie restriction regardless of feeling hungry which was actually very uncomfortable but unavoidable with or without Duromine). Pupils enlarged which made my vision a little bit worse than it already is. Periods of thirst followed by periods of not drinking much. Increased urination. Excessive sweating (but only when exercising). My skin is gradually getting oily leading to a few small pimples already. A little bit of difficulty sleeping, even when taking a dose of Phenergan that would usually knock me out I’d wake up 4-5hrs later but I could force myself back to sleep within two hours. I think that’s everything :p

April likes this.
  18. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

Cool thank you! I feel so much better now and am actually feeling excited to give it a go next weekend!

19. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

Let us know how you go :)

20. ChubbyMummyNZ

ChubbyMummyNZ New Member
    Registered

@Stargazer @April so I was all geared up to start this morning and I just freaked out again!!
    I just have this fear. I emailed my doctor who said I’m healthy and on a low dosage so the likelihood of side effects is small but I just keep thinking I will be the one who something horrible happens to. I so so want to take it though help?!