Fluid retention

Discussion in 'Side-Effects of Duromine' started by Trish1965, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Trish1965

Trish1965 New Member
    Registered

Hi, my name is Trish , I am 167cm and weigh 130kg, I started duromine 40mg 3 days ago and so far have had no result! The only thing is I now have fluid retention, my ankles and legs are swollen, has anyone else had this happen? A lot of people seem to have results very quickly, so I am not sure if I am doing something wrong! I try to snack on protein, like a boiled egg, some fruit sometimes, and I am only having one coffee a day, but I am managing to drink 2 liters of water a day, usually with ease! Always been able to finish 1.5lt over the whole day, but since starting this I can have 2lt by lunch time!! Definatly do not feel hungry, but make myself eat something. Does anyone know if maybe celery through the day may help? I believe it is a natural diuretic?
    Hope someone can help me, I am desperate to get this weight off, I am not getting any younger, but at the moment I am quite healthy, no meds, or problems! Just this fluid and of course the weight!!, and I don't want to start taking fluid tabs, I think your body could become used to them.

2. SIZE16

SIZE16 New Member
    Registered

Sorry, I cant help. Haven't heard of that?? Maybe you should call your Dr and see what they say.
    I have been on 40s for about three weeks now. I have lost about three kilos all up and before the 40s I was on 30s for about two weeks. I have found that the tablets keep me at the same weight, I don't feel like eating and drink a lot of water. I have also eaten more fruit in the past few weeks than I have in my lifetime. I have to say, if I exercise I lose weight - if not I don't.
    Sorry, I don't have any better advice...I just hate the idea that you had posted and no one had replied yet. Its nice to have a little support when you start off! I hope all is going well today and the fluid retention fixes itself up soon :(
    Good luck!

3. Trish1965

Trish1965 New Member
    Registered

Thanks size16, it was nice to see a reply! Like you I am on the 40's, I lost 3.1 in my first week, but nothing so far this week, and I am five days in. Like you I guess it's the exercise, but I do try and get out on my bike everyday even if it's only for fifteen minutes. I don't feel hungry but make myself have a small breakfast, lunch and dinner, I figure I can't do much more than that, because I worry that when I go off the tablets I will not have learnt anything if I just don't eat. If these don't work I don't know what to do, maybe the hypnosis for lap banding, because I want to avoid the surgery at every cost!! I guess I will see how my first month goes, and take it from there. I will keep an eye on here for your updates, and will post mine, thanks again ,Trish .

4. jes

jes New Member
    Registered

Hi Trish,

I think I am experiencing the same as you fluid retention. I'm day 3 going on day 4 also on 30mg. I'm bloated and was so thirsty the first 2 days that I drank more than I ever had before in a day approx 2 litres. I've gained a kilo and wondering if this could be the reason.

Look forward to your reply.

5. Audrey3

Audrey3 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jes you can try a natural diuretic. It helps a lot with fluid retention. Just do not use it too often as it can lead to mineral insufficiency. I use one twice a week.

6. jes

jes New Member
    Registered

Thank you Audrey I'll look into it.

7. Bringingskinnyback

Bringingskinnyback Active Member
    Registered

Hi Jes

From my experience when I eat too much salt I will retain fluid, obvious swelling of my ankles and weight gain on the scales. It's probably just the sudden increase in your water consumption but if it continues make sure you see your doctor. It could be a sign that your kidneys aren't coping, for me I would wee only small amounts through the day and huge amounts at night. That was years ago when I had pre-eclampsia, but just thought I'd let you know what symptons to look out for.

jes likes this.
  8. Audrey3

Audrey3 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you struggle with fluid retention you can try using a natural diuretic. Green tea is a natural diuretic that has been used for centuries in China. Cranberry juice can help with removing excess fluid retention.

I use Celery and Dandelion pills every few days. It is natural and safe - just do not over use it! Below is a link if you want to look at it.

Ausnaturalcare

#8 Audrey3, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2017
    Tara Purches and jes like this.
  9. jes

jes New Member
    Registered

Thanks ladies,

I'm no longer retaining fluid, didn't do anything just allowed my body to adjust.

Tara Purches likes this.
  10. Catharina

Catharina Member
    Registered

Hey everybody.. i know this fluid retention as well..sucks really.. but its only in the beggining you have to give some days to settle down. i had it in the first 2 weeks almost now tha last 5 days duromine works sooo good ,and no retention... i do have occasional bloating from indigestion of food,but i have to find a way to make it away as well.. maybe smaller meals regular.if anybody has experience with bloating pls let me know :)

Tara Purches and jes like this.
  11. jes

jes New Member
    Registered

Catharina, I bloat on a regular basis due to my dietary pitfuls, I try as much as I can to avoid the inevitable. I don't often retain fluid, but when I do I try to eat celery and and have a glass of green tea with lemon.

12. Catharina

Catharina Member
    Registered

Hi Jes...can you explain me what do you mean by dietary puffs?

13. jes

jes New Member
    Registered

Sorry i meant pitfuls like restrictions. Dairy and gluten intolerant plus ibs.i have a scale of natural tolerance but if that scale is reached then i get symptoms such as bloating and extreme pain. So i try to debloat myself by using remedies mentioned previously.

Hope that helps.

14. Tania J

Tania J Active Member
    Registered

I found if I eat bread or a lot of carbs - even the good ones - I get bloated. Never tested for intolerance but if I listen to my body I think it is not happy with carbs. Take note of what you eat and how it makes you feel.

15. Tara Purches

Tara Purches New Member
    Registered

Hey ladies :) I have trouble with fluid retention too but was before taking duromine, currently on the 30mg. MUST HAVE is dandelion tea- tastes earthy, easy drink like green tea, I once was so backed up with fluid retention that when I drank one tea I lost 2kg of just water weight overnight. If you are like me and like salty things ... That can cause fluid retention, also too much coffee doesn't help ( another vice I have) . The brand I use is " clipper dandelion tea" . I am a dancer and dancers and body builders use it for a safe way to lose fluid and aid digestion. Drink it during the day though, and lots of water . Just drink what you usually would during the day. I've also heard you can drink too much water so check it with your dr of how much you should have. But yeah, dandelion tea works a treat, if your digestive system hasn't had a good clean out in a while it may mean drinking it causes u to lose even more fluid retention:) note , it doesn't give you the runs or anything and is completely natural. Once I spend some time having it daily, I only have one after a big meal or a family dinner or night out . Ps do not drink it before bed :) it will make you wake up to go toilet, other then that it's amazing, removes puffiness from face, knees, arms and tummy:)

I normally pay $8 a pack so above link is cheaper:). I am not a sales pitcher so just trying to show u a pic of what works for me:) lots of brands out there but I found this to be the best money wise and result wise . Good flavour.

#15 Tara Purches, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
    Ariesblonde and jes like this.
  16. Ariesblonde

Ariesblonde New Member
    Registered

Hi - I have been on the 30mg for 1 week now. Everything was going so well for the first 4 days - was losing weight, not feeling hungry, and now BAM! fluid retention! I actually put on weight again despite the restricted food intake over the week. It's depressed me. I also have a bland yuck taste in my mouth. Can someone tell me if this side effect of fluid retention will pass? Has anyone else had this in the first week, like me, and then it settled on its own and the weight loss continued?

17. Tara Purches

Tara Purches New Member
    Registered

Hi there :) ,
    Don't be discouraged! It's just a hiccup, duromine works it's best if you still eat during it!!! Otherwise you're starting by going anorexic and will gain weight instantly when stopping or half way through! My dr made me promise I would still keep eating even when I don't feel like it, and excersize otherwise I'll put it all back on. I have to force myself to eat . I had some fluid retention the less I ate so drink heaps of water and force your meals if you have to just eat healthy and light :) also my key saving grace for that is clippers dandelion tea ... I once lost 2kg overnight of just fluid, dandelion tea is the natural fluid retention option dancers and body builders use, make sure u drink heaps of water when taking it . I hope that helps:) weird taste I found came from not eating enough,

Ariesblonde likes this.
  18. Ariesblonde

Ariesblonde New Member
    Registered

Hello Tara

Thank you so much for your reply - it means alot to me to read that others have experienced the same. I was actually eating more during the first 4 days and then decided I'd eat much less to see if I could lose even more weight faster - had the opposite result. :( I put on weight and have heaps of fluid retention. So yesterday and today i have eaten more (always healthy choices) and I have bought and started drinking dandelion tea! Thanks for the tip! I actually weigh myself every single morning - despite my Dr telling me not to - I cannot help myself, I have to monitor myself every single day. So now I am looking forward to peeing much more :D and weighing in lighter tomorrow!

TNX AB (Aries Blonde)

19. Shazzie

Shazzie New Member
    Registered

Hi Catharine, and everyone!!! For the bloating, I take 3 vitamin C a day.. I have Fibromyalgia and IBS goes hand in hand with that.. I'm often backed up or the opposite.. The vitamin C seems to be working a lot better than anything else I've tried..

I just put in a search in a google, 'Duromine swollen ankles' and came across this... Phew!! I can tell you all, I'm very relieved to see it's a pretty common side effect.. I have always drank 5 or 6 litres of water a day, that hasn't changed in the 3 days I've been on this, 30mg, but my God, are my legs and ankles huge!!! I'm 173cm 95kg, 44 years old..

I'm going to have a green tea, I think..

I guess I just wanted to thank you all for sharing.. it has put my mind at ease.. I've had MRSA in the past and it was the first thing I thought of when I took my socks off (a form of Golden Staph)..

I hope everyone's travelling well and getting those results!!! Good luck to us all!!! Cheers!!!

April likes this.