Duromine week 1 - no loss

Discussion in 'Duromine Questions and Answers' started by Drewondru, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Drewondru

Drewondru New Member
    Registered

I’ve just completed my first week on duromine 30mg

Had a few symptoms- sleeplessness on the first few nights but that has gone now. A bit of dry mouth but easily fixed with water.

The appetite surpressing effect has definitely worked. I’ve been eating a lot less, and making better food choices. Compared to before when I had no ‘full switch’ and craved all the wrong things. I was quite active before and still am equally active. I don’t feel the ‘speed’ effect. I perhaps feel a bit warm.

Based on a calculation of my BMR, activity and what ive eaten, I’ve been in a calorie deficit of at least 1000 calories a day. This has also been lots of protein and veg/ fat fewer carbs than before.

But I’ve lost nothing. Not even one solitary pound. This is strange because, usually, if I am in a calorie deficit I do lose weight (it’s stayigh in the defecit long term that’s been tricky for me)

I can only really think of two potential reasons:
    1) I’m due my period soon, and I usually do go up a bit at this time, so perhaps that is masking a loss?
    2)I’ve felt really constipated on Duromine, despite eating more fibre and drinking more water than a I usually would. So perhaps constipation is masking a loss too?

Other than that I’m stumped. I’m tracking my measurements as well as weight. They haven’t changed either.

Thought about upping the dose, but as it’s already doing what it’s meant to do (reducing appetite and curbing cravings) I think there’s probably no point.

Any advice?

2. Drewondru

Drewondru New Member
    Registered

A little update

I’m now two days into week two.
    -sustained calorie defecit of over 1000 calories
    -Eating circa 1340 calories daily (a few early days were a lot less but keeping it around this number now that the pill isn’t making me queasy)
    -Walking between 5km and 12km daily

Zero weight loss. None at all.

BUT lost 1.5 inches from my waist.

So I think there must be something masking my weight loss. Either my pending period, the constipation I’ve had since starting duromine, or a mixture of those two.

I don’t think it’s due to muscle gain as I haven’t done enough resistance exercise to build muscle, especially in a calorie defecit.

Still sleeping like a log. No dry mouth. No anxiety. No major energy boost. Appetite is still way down, but that’s the only effect. At the start, I had hot flushes and leg cramps but they’re disappearing now too.

I’m just going to keep the faith, drink lots of water, eat plenty of fibre, and focus on the process rather than the scale, for the time being.

3. 8Fox8

8Fox8 New Member
    Registered

I’m in the same position :( I should have read your post before posting mine (nearly identical)

4. Drewondru

Drewondru New Member
    Registered

It’s frustrarinh isn’t it? I’m not wanting or expecting to lose 5kg in a week or anything, but just a small loss would be nice.

5. Drewondru

Drewondru New Member
    Registered

Another day. No loss. Haven’t had a bowel movement for over a week despite eating lots of fibre and drinking lots of water. I’m still definitely not feeling any of the energy lifting effects, though it is the week before my period and I usually have a bit of an energy slump, which I’ve not felt as much.
    If I still haven’t been able to sort out the constipation by lunchtime, I’m going to go and get some senna from the pharmacy.

6. 8Fox8

8Fox8 New Member
    Registered

Day 15 for me now, still no loss. Still walking and having my 1200 per day via Jenny Craig.

Drinking water like crazy. I find I stay up later but it’s not like extra energy per say, I’m just awake reading or watching tv.

I used Durolax too. Thought maybe I was literally “full of it”.... but nope, I wasn’t! Ha ha

I think if I went up a dose of Duromine it would be too much.

7. Drewondru

Drewondru New Member
    Registered

After my period came and went, and I eased the constipation with some senna, I’m now down 4.5kg. That includes the last 5 days without duromine after I went on a mini cruise and managed to leave it at home. Very frustrating! But I managed to keep my calories in check for the most part.

Could it be because you were already eating the same calories before duromine? My understanding is that duromine doesn’t increase metabolism etc. it only reduces appetite, to allow you to be in a calorie deficit more successfully. So if your weight loss stalled before duromine, and you have continued the same diet you were doing before (Jenny Craig) then there’s been no actual change for your body.

I wonder if perhaps you would benefit more from a careful period of reverse dieting, to increase your bodies maintainence calories while maintaining / a period of building lean muscle. Then come back to weight loss once your body has settled at a higher maintenance level? I don’t think it would be healthy for you to drop calories even more, and all a higher dose of duromine would do is make that possible.

8. Jazz

Jazz New Member
    Registered

Hi guys, just been reading your posts.
    Drewondru, in your Dec 22 post, it seems that you’re doing everything right - calorie intake and walking. Although there was no result on the scales, you LOST 1.5 inches ... that’s fantastic!! You should be happy with that. I’d suggest you just keep doing what you’re doing and you will start to see better results on the scales.
    Duromine is Phentermine which has an effect on your metabolism similar to caffeine which is why most people experience insomnia in the first stages of taking Duromine and have so much energy.
    One thing that may help is one day per week, increase your cal intake to 1500, this will trick your body, boosting your metabolism a little more - a few days later you should see a good result on the scales. Just make sure the extra calories come from a nutritious/healthy food source.
    Good luck guys!!

Julesbali and Dre like this.
  9. Drewondru

Drewondru New Member
    Registered

I’m now 3 weeks from the start of taking duromine, although I did accidentally end up having 5 days off halfway (as I went on holiday and forgot my pills at home)

I’m definitely seeing results on the scale now (down 7.2kg, which is more than I’ve been able to lose in 2 years without duromine since having my child).

I’m no longer technically ‘obese’ based on BMI (which I’m extatic about as I just hated being in that bracket)

Clothes feel looser though I don’t think I’ve dropped a size or anything. The weight loss is not, as far as I can tell, visually noticable yet, other than around the collar bone.

I’ve had small inch loss on all bodily measurements. Most notably a 2 inch waist reduction (around 6% reduction, and half an inch from each arm ( almost 4% reduction)

I’m now only 6.5kg from pre-baby weight. And after that, just 7.5kg more until the weight I was before I met my husband, and this is the top ‘healthy weight range’ for me according to BMI (Though at that time all I ever heard from people was that I was too skinny so not sure how far beyond that I should really go). I’m using these as milestones, with the added incentive of being back in my old wardrobe.

My only concerns at this stage are that, although the duromine is delivering on its appetite suppressant effect, its perhaps delivering so well that I’m struggling to stick to the goals I set myself, and I’m worried about the knock on effect for my long term success.

Going into this, I calculated that to lose 1kg per week, I would need to eat 1,310 calories a day (but at the time, eating so few seemed impossible). I didn’t want to lose more than 1kg a week as my understanding is that this will cause muscle mass loss and metabolic damage. To ensure maximum muscle retention, I also set the goal to eat the minimum 0.8g of protein per lb of body weight, needed to preserve muscle. For me this is around 164g of protein each day.

The problem is that I can’t seem to physically get that in my face. 164g of protein is 656 calories ( half of my daily calories therefore). Pre duromine, I could never eat a diet with so few carbs and fat as I craved those foods. With duromine, the cravings are gone, and choosing the high protein foods hasn’t been difficult.

I start my day with an egg white and veggie omelette and some protein water (48g protein)
    A few hours later I choke down a high protein green smoothie (40g protein)
    Lunch time comes around and I force in a turkey salad (45g protein) but usually late as I can’t face it until 2pm-3pm.
    The , eventually, dinner time comes around. The plan is to get in the remaining 31g of protein with a sensible dinner. But I physically can’t do it. I know that if I do, I’ll be sick. Even the thought of looking at the food to cook it just makes me gag. Cooking dinner for my toddler is hard to face, and I only manage because I know I won’t need to eat it. So there I end up. Less than 1000 calories consumed all day and 31g under my required protein. I tried drinking another protein water, but even that is filling.

I’m sure that if I ate les protein. I could eat my 1310 calories. Because protein is so filling compared to carbs. But then there’s really no point because I’ll just be losing muscle.

I’m also finding that I’m not getting any of the expected energy boost/ urge to exercise more (I already did lots of walking and still do but was hoping to get on a daily resistance work out and just haven’t had the energy). But perhaps my energy is low because I am, in fact, massively under eating.

A few things I’m considering,

I have a 3 month repeat prescription for 30mg duromine. I dong have to see my doctor again until the 3 months is up, I just get it from the pharmacy.

So I could do any of the following from starting my second packet.

1) only take it alternate days. This way I will essentially. E doing intermittent fasting I guess? But will I have to deal with a new wave of side effects every day? I can stuff in extra protein on my non duromine days and not stress about it on duromine days. And (hopefully) because it’s only ever one day between pills, won’t struggle too much with sticking to my healthy guns on my non duromine days. The added advantage is that I can stretch my remaining 2 month prescription out to 4 months. Obviously my weight loss will slow, but as explained I only want to lose 1kg per week anyway. So I can lose the same weight, but slowly over a longer period. Therefore it’ll hopefully be fat and not muscle, plus more sustainable after duromine.

2) Only take half my pill each day. Effectively reducing my own dose to 15mg from the start of week 2. Then, I’d hopefully still see an appetite reduction but not such a strong one. So I would be able to get to my 1310 calories/ 164g protein goal. Again, this would mean I could stretch my last two months on duromine out to 4 months. Losing the same weight but more slowly, over a longer time.
    My concern with this is how I only take half, as they are capsules (not solid pills)

3) A combination of the two. Start by halving my daily dose to 15 mg for my next ‘months worth’ (making it last two months). Then with my third month worth of tablets, only take my half dose every other day. This way the 3rd packet will actually last 4 months. Hopefully I’ll see slow, gradually reducing weight loss over the 6 month period (e.g might lose 1kg per week at first, but only 0.25kg a week or so as I get closer to my goal weight). And that way, I am also gradually weaning myself off duromine, so that I dong just pile the weight back on after it’s finished. Could even just take 15mg every 3rd day for the last 7 tablets. So when I ultimately finish my prescription , I’m only coming off 15mg every 3 days, and it will be an easier transition.

What do you all think?

10. oliviax

oliviax New Member
    Registered

How has your journey been?
    What option did you decide on?

• About Us

Duromineforum.com was created in 2009. Since then many people have found followers and new friends thanks to this forum. In addition, they all got a strong motivation and support. Starting from 2013, the forum achieves a new level - mini social network for people, who want to lose weight, blogs for losing weight people, weight loss before & after pictures, diet issues, etc.
  • Like us on Facebook