Duromine mixed with medications.

Discussion in 'Side-Effects of Duromine' started by Tiffanypaige, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Tiffanypaige

Tiffanypaige New Member
    Registered

Hey everyone!

third time round on the Duromine train. On 40mgs. Much needed. I've gained a heap of weight and it's killing me. I just wanna know if anyone has had any bad experiences mixing Prozac with this drug... as well as Ziprasidone (An antipsychotic). Just wondering if it's still possible for this drug to work regardless of the other medications I am on?

My following daily Medications
    20mg - Lovan (Prozac)
    7.5mg - Diazapam (Valium)
    20mg - Ziprasidone (Ziprox)
    25mg - Amitriptyline

2. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi @Tiffanypaige

I just did a quick search on google for any interactions with the drugs you listed above.

All of the responses are copy and pasted from www.drugs.com

Prozac (Fluoxetine):

Talk to your doctor before using FLUoxetine together with phentermine. FLUoxetine may increase the effects of phentermine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported. Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Amitriptyline

Monitor: The use of tricyclic antidepressants in combination with amphetamines or sympathomimetic appetite suppressants may produce additive cardiovascular effects, increasing the risk of hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, tachycardia, and fever. The mechanism involves additive pharmacodynamic effects resulting from increased norepinephrine release by sympathomimetic agents and inhibition of norepinephrine reuptake by tricyclic antidepressants. A pharmacokinetic interaction is also possible between tricyclic antidepressants and amphetamines, since many of these agents are metabolized by CYP450 2D6. Increased plasma levels of one or both drugs may occur during co-administration.

Management: Close monitoring of cardiovascular status is recommended for patients receiving this combination. Patients should be advised to promptly report symptoms such as fever, headache, or fast or irregular heartbeats.

Ziprasidone

Monitor Closely: Certain drugs such as carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and drugs with anticholinergic activity (e.g., antihistamines, antispasmodics, neuroleptics, phenothiazines, skeletal muscle relaxants, tricyclic antidepressants, disopyramide) may potentiate the risk of oligohidrosis and hyperthermia associated occasionally with the use of topiramate, particularly in pediatric patients. These agents may alter electrolyte and fluid balance (carbonic anhydrase inhibition), inhibit peripheral sweating mechanisms (anticholinergic effect), and/or interfere with core body temperature regulation in the hypothalamus (neuroleptics and phenothiazines), resulting in the inability to adjust to temperature changes, especially in hot weather. Also, agents with anticholinergic activity frequently cause drowsiness and other central nervous system-depressant effects, which may be additively or synergistically increased in patients also treated with topiramate.

Management: Caution is advised when topiramate is prescribed with other drugs that predispose patients to heat-related disorders, including carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and drugs with anticholinergic activity. Patients, particularly pediatric patients, should be monitored closely for evidence of decreased sweating and increased body temperature, especially in warm or hot weather. Proper hydration before and during vigorous activities or exposure to warm temperatures is recommended. Patients (or their guardians or caregivers) should contact their physician immediately if they are not sweating as usual, with or without a fever. Ambulatory patients treated with topiramate and agents with anticholinergic activity should also be made aware of the possibility of additive CNS effects (e.g., drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, confusion) and counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until they know how these agents affect them.

Valium: Seems to be ok with no interactions.

Please go and get a professional opinion.

There are some posts in regards to Prozac and Duromine being ok for others - that being said you are on a few different medications. I personally would go and see a GP before taking anymore Duromine to make sure it is safe to do so.