Duromine and anti-depressants..question!

Discussion in 'Side-Effects of Duromine' started by Sydney2014, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Sydney2014

Sydney2014 New Member
    Registered

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced depression on Duromine? To the point of wanting to stop?..I'm 39, have been on 100 mg of Zoloft for 18 months and have been feeling great until now. Unfortunately even though I felt happy again, my eating was out of control and I gained 14 kgs over 2 years, and am pretty miserable about that so now I'm trying Duromine 30 mg as a last resort, to try and boost my weight loss. I'm quite experienced in nutrition and am eating a healthy low-carb diet at the moment. I don't have any bad side effects except that my mood is not good. I feel very irritable, down, and can't feel any joy anymore. A month before starting duromine, I decreased my zoloft dose to 50 mg a day but my mood was absolutely fine, until I started on Duromine. After a week, my mood got progressively worse and it does say that depression can be one of the side effects. I have been on it for 2 weeks so far. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with duromine, my sugar cravings have totally vanished and I'm able to stick to a healthy diet. I've lost 3.5 kg in two weeks, I was hoping for more but on the other hand I think it's better not to lose weight too quickly or it will be harder to keep it off... Has anyone been feeling down like me and did your mood get better after a while?
    Thank you!

Melmo likes this.
  2. Karin Muller

Karin Muller New Member
    Registered

Hi
    I use anti-dapressants aswell and i can honestly say today is a bad day. I have stopped the anti-depressants for Duromine but i seem to not be doing so well. I havent felt this down in the dumps for a while. Yet its catch 22. I drink the anti-depressants and feel happy but im fat or i drink duromine lose the weight but feel down some days.
    Today might be a bad day to talk as its a bad day emotionaly. Most people that dont know depression would ask if something happend but nothing did. Its just a bad day and i have to get it under controle. My doctor did warn me that Duromine and SSRI anti depressants dont mix and thats why i had to leave mine out of this jearny but personaly i find it much harder to be fat than to be depressed. I dont know if you should take less as i can talk out of experiance you will find it hard.
    i HAD to make a choice. My body or my mind. I chose body then after 4moths i will work on the mind again.
    Just wish today wasnt such a hard day. I want to go crawl in a hole and die.

3. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Please hold on, darling;)
    I know it's hard to do if you have depression, but you should know it's even worse to take anti-depressants, since they cause addiction. In the end you can't live without them:confused::confused::confused: There's nothing good in that. I hope you'll be fine.
    Well, I see you did a great effort making this difficult choice, though I agree that excess weight stands over depression. Maybe you will feel better when you'll see your kilos melting down...
    Life is good, believe me! We here to support you whatever the day brings to you;)

xoxoxo

Booty and StormGirl2012 like this.
  4. Sydney2014

Sydney2014 New Member
    Registered

Hi Karin,
    Thank you so much for replying to my post. I can relate to everything you are saying. Anti-depressants may be addictive but when you've tried everything else, like counseling, and you still can't get out of that dark place where life is not worth living, then anti-depressants really are a life saver. I am feeling like you, rather be depressed than overweight. I did think Duromine was the cause of my depression coming back but I went back to my doctor last week and he said to go back to my previous dose of 100 mg of Zoloft and to keep taking the Duromine. I was a bit skeptical but I did it and now 2 weeks later I feel so much better. I'm telling you this because I wanted you to know that they can work together. By no means should you go against your doctors orders, however I believe every person will react differently. And doctors do have different opinions. It doesn't seem too surprising that you are feeling so low, since you had to stop with the antidepressants.. Do you think there is a chance you could ask your doctor if you could take both medications at the same time? I don't know how much weight you want to lose? I have to loose about 15 kg.
    I wish you all the best, whatever you decide to do. Let me know how you get on.
    Sandra

LollyTerror and Melmo like this.
  5. serene123

serene123 New Member
    Registered

dear Sydney,if im not wrong, taking duromine if ure only depression free. theres a contradiction between duromine n antidepressant pill. correct me if im wrong.

6. KelMumOf3

KelMumOf3 New Member
    Registered

It depends on what anti dees u r on as if u can take them both today as myself i havr bipolar and im on 2 different other medcations and yet i can take duries so just depends and like the dr said u if at all when takibg them feel bad or depressed or any thing u should u need to tell them..

Glad to hear all is ok now

7. kookie

kookie New Member
    Registered

I am on a high dose of OCD tabs and sleeping pills aswell as my duromine its been going well so far altho im only 6 days in. Im hoping since ive had no bad change yet there wont be any.

8. Liabet

Liabet New Member
    Registered

I'd love to know this aswell. I am on 40mg of fluoxetine aswell a a DUROMINE & my doctor ever mentioned any contra indications. But I lost 3.6kgs my first week and nothing since & I am on day 26

9. kookie

kookie New Member
    Registered

Im now in the middle of my 3rd week and I have lost 2kg in week one but nothing since. Ive lost the awake feeling I had in week one, I actually feel more tired then ever.

10. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Ladies, weight will not go anywhere if you don't exercise. Unfortunately. Do not expect it will disappear because of the pills. About antidepressants was written plenty above. I'm sorry to say that, but we all want to do what's comfortable for us and expect everything will be ok. But sometimes you have to give up some things to get the best results. Please think twice before mixing two stimulants in your body.

11. Liabet

Liabet New Member
    Registered

So are you saying we shouldn't be taking antidepressants at the same time? That' is what I am quering as my doctor never said anything about mixing them.

12. kookie

kookie New Member
    Registered

You shouldn't go off antidepressants suddenly, it can cause more damage than good. If you are considering going off your medication talk to your gp about weaning off it.
    I know from experience that stopping antidepressants suddenly is never a good thing.

Bells likes this.
  13. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Well yes, kookie. You are obviously right. But I know many stories when antidepressants along with weight loss pills caused much more side effects especially trouble sleeping. So my point is - either stop gradually antideps and then take Duromine, or don't start Duromine.
    p.s. in Europe people avoid antideps (mostly fighting their depression on their own). Personally I think the less meds you take the better.

14. Maddy

Maddy New Member
    Registered

I have been taking sertraline for 6 years, went from a healthy active 65kg to a huffing and puffing but still active 5'6" 88kg fatty, My body is way too big and im getting extreme back pain from this weight. I put it down too after lengthy thought, sertraline. My Dr is so cool, we agreed to very slowly drop off the antidepressants, a small amount every month, My sertraline comes in long oval shaped tablets so every second day to start with im breaking one in half, maybe next month it will be 1 full and 2 half's, like i said, very slowly. I believe i had a problem but that problem has passed. 20mg of duromine early in the morning only,I cant sleep for 12-14 hours after i take one. I eat better , feel better, think better, as long as i follow my strict regime. Now dropping the anti depressants i may lose some weight too :)

15. JoanneN

JoanneN New Member
    Registered

Hi,

Just a heads up from all the research I have done is that if you are taking Duromine and any form of anti depressants it creates a counteract in your body and can actually stop the work of the anti depressants. I would know because in order for me to have started duromine I had to spend 1 month getting off my anti depressants in order to start duromine. If you do experience depression or anxiety keep reminding yourself that it isn't you but merely the medication doing this to you. I have had an eating disorder in the past which resulted in severe depression and anxiety. Getting off anti depressants was tough but I know its worth it. The reason for this is the reason for many people's depression is weight gain, and therefore Duromine can help battle this! Don't give up/

16. kylesg

kylesg New Member
    Registered

I take 50mg zoloft and 30mg duromine only on day 2 of duromine but so far so good. My dr has said if i experience any bad side effects, high temp, hallucinations etc then to stop the duromine. I must say i didn't get alot of sleep last night but with a 4 and 2yo always jumping in our bed at night i never really have had good sleeps so the lack of sleep isn't really an issue.

17. Shayedoux

Shayedoux New Member
    Registered

H
    Hi
    I find a technique of 'Policing Your Thoughts' helpful so when u r having negative thoughts be conscious of that moment and ur thoughts. So if ur thoughts r negative recognise this is the drug (side effects) think this is d not me and consciously change your thoughts only you have the power to do that. Become aware of who ur r & then recognise the thorts as they happen and distance urself from the negative thorts that d can cause, stop the negative thorts before they bombard you.

Good luck Merry Christmas and let me know how u r going..

18. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman New Member
    Registered

It depends on the "anti-depressant" - whether it is a mood stabilizer (MAOs) or a flat-out mood lifter (SSRI, Tricyclic antidepressants.. etc).

If you are taking mood stabilizers, Duromine will weaken their effect because Duromine is a stimulant that makes quite mood unstable. However, depending on dosage, both pills become less effective but some of their effects are prolonged for longer than usual. For example, your appetite will not be very suppressed, but it will be mildly suppressed for a very long time. In other words, both pills will still have an effect, only much less than usual. Both are stimulants, so the pressure on your heart is increased quite a bit when taken in combination.

If you are taking a traditional anti-depressant, then the Duromine will further increase the effect of "mood-lifting", but you might find yourself feeling very down as the Duromine wears off. This can cause very, very wobbly moods - very happy and then very unhappy - after a period of time.

In both cases, your heart is under more stress than usual and the risk of heart disease and heart attacks is increased.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that in order to see what becomes workable, it is best to change and play around with the dosages of both pills until you are happy with how you are feeling. You might want to stick to 15mg Duromine and not hop into anything higher until you can see how your body is reacting.

19. cassieriordan

cassieriordan New Member
    Registered

i have been on zoloft as well as many other anti depressants and mood stabilizers. i have bi polar. while on zoloft i put on a massize 25kg!! its a matter of working with your doctor and finding a med which suits you. I want to add that the weight gain was not due to my diet as i usually eat very healthily...but due to the meds. when i changed the weight came off

20. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine New Member
    Registered

Taken from an Australian medical website, regarding antidepressants and Duromine:

Since Zoloft falls under this category, I'd be very cautious of taking it with Duromine... If you were weaned off it and placed on another antidepressant that's not in any of those categories, you might be able to keep your mood stabilised and take Duromine. Of course, your doctor will be able to help with this much more than anyone on the internet can, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I just research things because I like to be in the know, haha.

All the best!
    :)