Don't know if I should've got duromine

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by katmsb, Mar 8, 2013.

1. katmsb

katmsb New Member
    Registered

Hi all,
    New member here. I've nearly done one week on duromine and I'm seriously wondering if I should've bothered. I'm not enjoying the side effects and don't feel it's really doing a great deal for me.
    I've struggled with my weight since I was about 11, I'm now 34. My weight has gone up and down in that time but I've never really ever gotten down to a healthy weight. Sometimes the weight loss was intentional, sometimes not. I went undiagnosed with Crohn's disease for a number of years and just before being diagnosed I had a really bad flare and I couldn't really eat or drink anything without throwing up so of course I was losing weight. Then they put me on prednisone and I gained a whopping 60 kilos. Due to the fast weight gain I then got gall stones and was put on a public waiting list (which means a really long wait) to have my gall bladder removed so in the mean time I was having gall stone attacks and had to watch what I ate. Also when I eventually was able to get off of prednisone the weight started to decrease. Gall bladder was removed, I could eat whatever I liked again, weight starting going up. I quit smoking, weight went up more. My fiance proposed and what were the first thoughts that went through my head? I have to lose weight, I don't want to be a fat bride. I kept delaying the wedding because I didn't want to be fat. I started Weight Watchers and I was starting to lose weight (16kg) so I set a date. They ended up changing the WW program, I couldn't make it work for me any more and when I approached the meeting leader she wasn't at all helpful so between that and being made redundant from my job I ended up leaving. I was the fat bride I didn't want to be. My dress didn't fit properly. I hate my wedding photos. I would dearly love to start a family and would like to get down to a healthy weight so we can start TTC. Last year I started walking on my lunch breaks. I did it for 3 months without any major changes to my weight. I stopped eating bread for a while and that worked (the scales went down)... for about a week. Then it made no difference. We went on our belated honeymoon at Christmas. We went to the US (we live in NZ), the home of over indulgence. I didn't bother to watch what I ate while over there and I kinda carried that attitude on since we've got back. My doctor had spoken about me taking duromine so I knew she wouldn't have an issue with prescribing it to me. She had initially tried me on metformin (I don't have PCOS or diabetes but she thought it might help with weight loss). It just made me sick. But when she prescribed it to me last Thursday she was in a hurry. She didn't really talk to me about it, didn't say about coming back on a regular basis etc.
    So last Saturday I started duromine. I didn't sleep much that night but thankfully that's improved. I've had a bit of a dry mouth, today a bit of a gross taste and I've just felt ugh. I've felt nauseous and just not right physically. One of the side effects that I was really hoping I'd get I haven't had... energy! I still feel dog tired each day (along with the Crohn's disease (which is relatively well behaved and I don't take any meds for it), I also have fibromyalgia and sarcoidosis. I haven't really exercised this week but I have been more mindful about portion sizes and snacking. It has helped with the urge to snack which I guess is good.
    I'm frightened to get on the scales tomorrow, I don't think there will be any change in my weight. I'm so disappointed. This drug cost me a lot of money, money I don't really have to spare. As dishonest as it sounds I haven't told my husband I'm taking duromine because he feels I don't need drugs to help me lose weight. He tells me I'm not fat which just makes me feel worse because I know I'm fat. When I weighed myself the first day on duromine I was 92.2 kgs and I'm only 160 cms tall. No one knows I'm taking it, I won't tell anyone because there's such a stigma surrounding this medicine.

2. aturn121

aturn121 New Member
    Registered

the side affects do get lesser.wait till u have weight in, then make a decision. u will do the right thing for u and u alone :)

3. Nattynat

Nattynat Member
    Registered

Hi Katmsb,
    Thank you for sharing your story.
    Its still early days for me to give you advice about duromine, however I can tell you this past week I didn't get the energy I was expecting to get from the pill.
    There were good days and bad days but yet, I didn't give up because I want to lose weight and be a happier person.
    I understand about going to the USA and gaining weight. Thats exactly what happened to me when I travelled to New York, the food was amazing I couldn't resist lol.
    Weight loss is never easy, you need to be ready mentally, physically & emotionally. It took me five months to learn to eat clean and start exercising before I started taking duromine. I made the decision to take duromine because no matter what I did the weight was not coming off.
    I''m happy to say I have already lost 3kgs.

Good luck with your decision, I hope everything works for you:)

4. roxibutterfly

roxibutterfly New Member
    Registered

Hi Katmsb
    Alot of your story mimics my own life.
    I dont have the crohn's disease but the yo yo weight, the gall bladder (OMG how horrid gall bladder attacks are!!), the wedding delays, the fat bride, the weight watchers etc etc etc
    I have used duromine on a few occassions both with great success and with failure. I have found that with me, its all in the mind set. Its where I am in my way of thinking. The time that duromine was most successful, was when I was super ready and determined. It wont work on its own. You can stil eat as much as you want if you are eating for the wrong reasons. I'm not hungry, but if I'm not thinking, I can still eat a big meal if it tastes good. I've trained myself to only eat for nessesity. I only eat very small portions because I know my body needs fuel to function. I know my stomach has shrunk now because I physically cant eat much without feeling FULL! Pay attention to your body. Use your mind aswell as the duromine. And drink LOTS of water.
    If you are like me, my mouth is always dry. Im always super thirsty. Drink lots. Always have water close by. It will fill you up, keep you hydrated and clean your body out.
    Some of my side effects drive me crazy but I think of my alternative. Surely you can persevere for awhile to help you get healthy and get your weight under control. I have a constant lump in my throat that feels like I have something stuck and Im always trying to clear it. Its just one of my side effects that I have to live with. I get bad breath on duromine but I just make sure I drink lots and carry breath mints with me. Pimples pop up around my jaw line and I have to try not to dig at them. Im learning to control the urge even though it drives me batty lol. So many other side effects but the weight loss and the way I feel as my clothes get looser and my body shape changes make me stick to it.
    As for the lack of energy, I found that it didnt just happen for me. i needed to kick start it. I just pushed myself to move more and now its firing along nicely.
    Just little things like parking further away from shops so you have to walk, taking the stairs instead of the lift, walk to the local shops etc etc. You know all this, we hear it all the time, but believe me, once you get moving, your body will keep wanting to. When Im not moving now, my mind is actively telling me to get up. Like right now, my mind is buzzing while I sit to type this out lol. Im keen to go wash the doggies and clean the house and move move move.
    Im rejoining the gym this week and I absolutely cant wait! Once I start at the gym I know my weight will fall off with the help of duromine. I lost 25 kilo using Duro and gym last time.
    Can I ask what strength you are on? Im on the 40mg
    Also, to help with the nausea, make sure you eat a little breaky before taking it in the morning. I felt horrid when I first started because no one told me to eat first. I felt sick and dizzy and just awful.
    I really hope everything is going well for you :)
    Roxi
    PS. nobody knows Im taking it either. My little secret weapon ;)

5. katmsb

katmsb New Member
    Registered

Thank you for all of your replies. I weighed in Saturday morning and had lost 1.1kg. Not bad. This morning I was seriously thinking about stopping the duromine (I'm on 30mg). The side effects were really getting to me, I'm sick and tired of that sick feeling (and yes I take my duromine after eating breakfast). I'm tired of being grouchier than normal, (I'm a naturally grouchy person). Yes the pimples have started (I had struggled for several years with bad acne but it finally seemed to be clearing a few months ago but now its back again, I'm guessing its thanks to the duromine). I realised it would pretty much be a waste of $112 (the cost of the medicine), but was all the side effects really worth it for the way I've been feeling since starting duromine?
    I've read some of these replies and I've had a think about it over my work day, however now I'm back to I don't know what to do. People have mentioned and it's a well known fact that you have to be mentally prepared to lose the weight. I don't think I am at that stage... and I don't know why, cos I really want to be. Of course I hate being fat. I have a million and one reasons why I want to be a healthy weight, some pretty major ones such as being a healthy weight when we try to conceive, which I can't put off for much longer as I'll be 35 in July and we don't have any children yet so I have no idea what my fertility is like. Of course I would be a lot healthier in general and I'd like to be fit. I would like to be able to wear nice clothes, and be able to go into most stores confident they'll have something in my size, rather than trying the largest size they have only to discover it doesn't fit or have to shop in the plus size section of stores. I would like to be able to buy bras that don't cost a small fortune and then not have to wear them til they're practically falling apart, poking me with stray wires etc because they're just too expensive to replace so I pretty much wear them out (and then sew them back up) and try and get some more wear out of them. I would like it if I got down to a size where the general public didn't think they had a right to yell smart ar$e comments at me on the street because of my weight (I know, that's their problem, not mine, but it would be nice to blend in and not get insulted because of my weight). I want to like my body!!! You would think with all of these reasons I'd never want to eat a "bad" food ever again (I don't want to believe in good and bad food, just certain foods need to be eaten in moderation). I was the same when it came to wanting to lose weight for my wedding. I had all these really good reasons yet I still couldn't do it. I'm not afraid to get smaller like some people can be due to abuse etc. I just don't get it!!!
    I really struggle with the food side of it as I've always been a picky eater. I have improved drastically since I was a child but there's still a number of things I won't eat. There's also food I have to avoid due to the Crohn's disease. I'm not a very good cook. I'm forever buying recipe books and a monthly NZ magazine called Healthy Food Guide in the hope I'll come across healthy meal ideas that I like and that I can cook. I even attended a short course on healthy eating and cooking and got a few ideas from there but I still feel limited.

6. roxibutterfly

roxibutterfly New Member
    Registered

Awww hun, I totally understand. So many times I've tried to lose weight and thought I was ready but failed miserably. That makes me feel even worse and then I give up trying and get even bigger.
    Starting a family is a fantastic motivation :)
    I've always wanted to be one of those skinny pregnant chicks. You know the ones? All skimpy jeans and short tops and belly sticking out..... Never worked out that way for me unfortunately. My first pregnancy I put on 30 kilo and each pregnancy from there on I was bigger and bigger. My first pregnancy I was 68kilo and my third pregnancy I was 115kilo. OMG what a massive difference almost 50 kilo makes! I've always wanted a fourth bubba. Maybe once I get skinny ;)
    Maybe write a list of pros and cons? Are there any positives you've noticed on the duromine? Try and figure ways to combat the negative effects.
    As for the healthy recipes, try looking for recipe books by Annette Sym (I think). Symply too good to be true Welcome to Symply Too Good
    She uses everyday simple recipes and changes them up so they are healthier. Really easy, normal meals. Worth a look :)
    I really hope you find a way to make this work for you
    Roxi

7. katmsb

katmsb New Member
    Registered

I had my second weigh in today, I neither lost or gained. Guess it was good I didn't gain, but not losing anything sucked. I slept in this morning (I don't get too many of them) so I decided not to take my duromine pill today. I actually feel better than I normally do and am now seriously thinking about discontinuing the duromine. It wasn't doing that much for me apart from making me feel sick. I'm disappointed though, in the months leading up to starting duromine I had it in my mind this was going to be it, this was going to be the time I actually lost some serious weight. Perhaps I'm giving up too easily, this would've been my 3rd week on it. I can understand how some people feel the side effects are worth it for the end result but duromine isn't living up to my expectations.
    I want to lose weight without the use of diet pills. It did help supress my appetite so I'm just going to have to be more mindful of snacks.
    Roxi, thank you for suggesting that book, I've looked it up on a website and they sell it so it might be something I'll consider buying soon. I don't want to be a pregnant skinny chick, I just want to be a healthy weight to help conceive, and also figure if I can get my weight under control before falling pregnant perhaps I won't gain too much weight during the pregnancy or will find it easier to lose after the birth.