Despondent about everything, hoping for the best

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AnnaK, Apr 13, 2018.

1. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member
    Registered

Starting Weight:
    90kgs
    Current Weight:
    89kgs
    Height:
    160cms
    Lost:
    1kg
    Goal Weight:
    60kgs
    I have always been in fantastic shape until 3 years ago when my doctor put me on a new medication for my Bipolar disorder. It had terrible side effects the main being rapid excessive weight gain. After a while i stopped it but the damage had set in and i gained more weight on my own doing. I have been on Duromine 30mg for almost a week now and lost 1 kg in the first 2 days. I have no side effects, my appetite is as it was and i'm concerned its not going to work. I eat smaller portions of food, and have cut down on sugar. Its a little bit daunting....

2. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

It always is at first, but you can do it.

As I’ve found, you can be “hungry” while on Duromine (sometimes more than before it because you’re also intentionally eating less), but your “appetite” is less- meaning you’re “craving” less bad food and huge portions. Sometimes, that’s all the “appetite suppressant” means- it doesn’t always take away a person’s “hunger” (that would be dangerous, as the people who do actually get the effect of literally no hunger don’t end up eating and can suffer from that- sometimes passing out).

Patience, it’s not all going to disappear over night unfortunately.

<3

April, Dre and AnnaK like this.
  3. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member
    Registered

oh i know that it will take some time, i was just thinking that there'd be a change in energy levels at least. i know some have said the weight loss can occur quite slowly at first too. i'm certainly not about to throw the towel in just yet.

i just wondered if the dosage is enough or am i just being impatient

April likes this.
  4. Plucky

Plucky New Member
    Registered

I found it took a couple of days for my appetite to actually be suppressed. I’ve had a day here and there where I haven’t taken it and am ravenous the next day. I still get hungry but I have been able to kick those pick me up sugar rushes I’d look for in the arvo.

2 days isn’t long, I didn’t drop drastic amounts of weight if the first few days like some people. But I’ve just started the 2nd sleeve of tabs and i was 4.7kg down on Friday morning.

AnnaK likes this.
  5. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

You could be a little impatient or having unrealistic expectations.... Duromine affects everyone differently and to varying degrees. Personally, as far as “energy” was concerned, it just made me feel slightly less lethargic- more able to perform normal duties- it did not give me the energy and speed of a Hummingbird’s wings.

You’re on 30mg which is a good dosage, the next step up is the last step up- 40mg. You may discuss it with your GP and decide to trial a higher dose, but if it does increase your energy and decrease your appetite it will likely increase other symptoms too Like mood swings and insomnia. Personally, I’d wait at least two weeks before making that decision- give the 30mg a real go. It’s not life altering and that’s a *good* thing- you don’t want to be hyperactive and not eating or sleeping. If you’re losing weight and that was the goal then why risk additional side effects?

April likes this.
  6. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member
    Registered

yeah i'm on day 6 and the appetite isnt too bad, i am fairly lethargic but i have tiny bursts where i'm not.
    i suppose i'd just hoped to have lost a little more but anyway i'll see how i go. congrats on the loss btw

7. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member
    Registered

i intend to give it a go before i rush back to my gp. thanks

8. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

What’s your calorie deficit? If it’s less than 1, 100 per day (note exercise but don’t count those calories) then 1kg in 7 days (0.5-1.5kg depending on the person) is a reasonable expectation.

The huge drop people see in the first week is primarily “water weight” which will be gained back so don’t feel depsondent about that. I’d already lost 2kg in water weight before I started due to gastro and not being able to eat properly for a week so I wasn’t surprised to only lose 2.4kg of mass my first week.

:)

April likes this.
  9. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member
    Registered

i havent been able to do much exercise yet. i actually just had iron infusions because my levels were so low due to a kidney disease. so i've been expecting my energy to be higher as a result of that (which it has not).
    however i plan on pushing myself no matter what.

yeah my deficit is a little higher. but like you said, it varies for everyone and its a process not a quick fix.

10. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

-1, 100 per day for 7 days = 0.5-1.5kg

Significantly more than that and you’re most likely eating less than 800 calories per day which isn’t advisable per se (and would explain why you’re so hungry, lovely).

If your deficit is significantly less than that, you can give it time, but also double check you’re recording absolutely everything that passes your lips from a nut to cup of tea. Not saying you’re not doing that, but if you do have a deficit significantly more than that and you aren’t losing what you should be losing it’s either temporary or just question whether it’s possible you’re missing something in your food diary or it hasn’t been weighed and measured strictly with no estimates. Just a suggestion :)

AnnaK likes this.
  11. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member
    Registered

its only slightly higher so i'm hoping its temporary. I do monitor my intake carefully. But you're right, i could be missing something.
    thank you for help, hopefully this next week i'll start and feel a little better about it all

April likes this.
  12. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

I hope so too. Let us know how you go

13. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Wish you a better week and a seriously better mood and attitude towards a great weight loss of 1 kilo. As I often say… consider the fact that you were gaining weight before… and you would have gained it this week, as well. Instead you lost 1 kilo, so its minus one and what you would have gained. Any, ANY minus is great, even 200 grams, because it means that your weight is going in another direction from now on, the direction that you want it to go. Chin up!