Day by Day

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Rava, May 16, 2018.

1. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Hello :)

I've been reading these forums since last week, and they are highly motivating! It made me want to start my own little journal so I could keep track of what was happening and have some place to come where I knew others were on the same journey.

So here I am;

Female: 47 years
    Height: 170cm
    Starting Weight: 89kg
    Goal Weight: 75kg and under.

I actually started Duromine 30mg on my 47th birthday last Saturday. I can't say what actually caused me to have an epiphany but I did and realised that I had put my weight gain down to circumstances, events and medical issues. I realised I didn't take any responsibility for my actions.

I posted on my blog here yesterday, an entry that I had wrote last week before joining and starting "D" and it actually makes me cringe when reading it now as I see how easy it was for me to place and direct blame for my weight issues whilst not really accepting any type of responsibility. So, I am keeping it up as a reminder for myself to move forward and to keep moving onwards.

April likes this.
  2. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Exercise Stats: 9,472 steps, 7.3km, 453 calories burned.

Observations Day 1

Took D at about 7am, and by 9am I felt like I was bouncing off the walls. I really did get a "rushy" feeling and my energy levels were super high. Breezed through the housework downstairs like I was Wonder Woman, and noted that the jobs I usually put off, by either procrastinating or having a break were done and dusted by just after one.

Food: Wasn't great in that I didn't eat a lot and I didn't drink a lot either. Breakfast was 2 scrambled eggs and dinner was a Dutch Curry Continental Cup of Soup. Four coffee's and maybe 500ml of water if I was lucky. To be honest I didn't fully realise how much the D would come in to play. I am now tracking my calorie intake on Lose it to make sure I eat enough and drink enough.

Exercise: I have been such a procrastinator and I have always found ways to put it off. This is the biggest thing for me to change and for the first week I want to put in the ground work for me to succeed. For day one, I started off with a half hour brisk walk. My plan is each day to increase my time and distance.

Sleep: The best I can describe it as is "patchy". I ended going to sleep quite early around 10.30pm but I was continually up and all honesty I think I maybe achieved 4 hours.

#2 Rava, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    April likes this.
  3. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Exercise Stats: 11,016 steps, 8.6km, 535 calories

Observations Day 2

As I was up super early from little sleep I ended up having my D at 5am with my breakfast which was a poached egg on a slice of rye. Again that rushy feeling came back within an hour, and by 7am again I was moving around the house. Thank goodness it was Mothers Day and they all got up early. I made them breakfast (ha ha!) and then went upstairs. Wonder Woman made another appearance cleaned upstairs and even bloody dusted, not to mention re organising my husbands and then my own walk in closets.

Food: Was slightly better than yesterday. Other than my poached egg on toast, Cup of Soup was lunch, followed by a Caesar salad for dinner. No snacks but managed a litre of water.

I need to let you know coffee is my drug of choice. I can have it with or without milk - not a problem, but it is with 2 sugars :( Generally my daily consumption is around 6 cups, I can drink it at 10pm and go to bed with no problems sleeping soundly. I do have low blood pressure and was told years ago that coffee would raise it so 6 cups has been my norm for about 10 plus years! I know this is a hurdle, well maybe not so much the coffee but the sugar intake and I will be doing my best to wean myself off it

Today my coffee intake was limited to 3 cups, black one sugar - all 3 consumed before 1pm.

Exercise: Im really lucky that I have a huge park straight across from me, so again I was out there. As I was walking I was thinking about running, and when I was a kid how I loved to run. As an overweight teenager I remember that I was mocked for how I looked when running and I let that affect me, and I never did it anymore. So what the hell, I don't care if I even look like a window washer with my arms flapping around, I'm just going to do it!

Basically what I did was walk a few meters then run a few meters. I ended up doing a lap and half and boy was I winded! But, I actually had a sense of accomplishment and I can't remember the last time I really felt that about myself. New goal - I am going to learn how to run!

I have also decided to track my stats with my Apple Watch which I am going to update every day. My goal is to go for 10,000 steps with the aim to increase my distance and exercise times. Im going to keep them at the top of my post with my weight stats.

Sleep: Not in bed till about midnight, and again really patchy sleep. I was up by 4.30am the next day.

#3 Rava, May 16, 2018
    April likes this.
  4. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Exercise Stats: 10,224 steps, 7.5km, 506 calories burned.

Observations Day 3:

"D" taken again at 5am. No rushy feeling today, but I did tend to feel really focused. Now as a stay at home Mum, who complains she never has enough time in the day to finish things, I was pleasantly surprised to find time on my hands. Worked out that I needed to plan my day the night before. I have always been one to keep a diary so making a list of things I needed to do and accomplish around the house came easy. During the late afternoon and after my exercise I felt quite spacey and "in my head" at different times, sometimes felt like I was out of body. I concluded that lack of sleep and not enough water or calories are being consumed

Food: Another decision made. Generally during the week days I don't have breakfast and if I do eat its around 11am. Lunch then becomes a snack, and dinner is generally where I consume the most calories. So I have decided to have a protein shake in the morning, a protein filled lunch and a leaner dinner. I want to start establishing good habits now, so I hope "D" continues to keep suppressing my appetite, because it will make this change so much easier.

Breakfast was a shake, lunch I ate a garden salad with an egg, and dinner was a chicken salad.

Coffee: Still 3 a day, black with 1 sugar, all before 1pm. Water was just over a litre.

Exercise: Basically I did the same as yesterday. Around the park 1.5 x, walking a couple of meters, then running a couple of meters. Was it easier? Nope :) but I am determined to get better, I think I should time myself because I felt a little faster. I did have a little scary moment, when I felt quite faint - but it passed quickly, and I know I have to get my hydration up. At home I did some sumo squats x 30, pushups off the wall x 30 and a measly 5 x tricep dips.

Sleep: A little better. I was in bed by 9.30pm, woke up at 1am, managed to go back to sleep but was awake every hour till I got up

#4 Rava, May 16, 2018
    April likes this.
  5. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Exercise Stats: 11,640 steps, 8.7km, 611 calories burned.

Observations Day 4:

Today was actually quite good, as I think I managed more sleep than I had since I started "D". I had listed my day out before, and it all went to plan. I don't think my house has ever been cleaner! I still found myself with free time and was able to bake up a storm with 24 banana and choc muffins being made as well as 24 caramel slices. I am pleased to say I didn't indulge in even one, but I will admit to licking my fingers after making the caramel slices :). Half of each went into the freezer and my 2 girls and my DH really appreciated them. I was even able to run out morning tea to the job site for my husband - I think he was gob smacked as its been awhile since I have done that for him.

The only slight negative, and its only a negative because I found it uncomfortable was the soreness in my legs. They just hurt and even to crouch down or bend over I could feel them pulling. I really need to research some good stretching exercises for running, as well as incorporating some more upper body exercises that I can do at home.

Food: Really good day today, and in actual fact was the most calories I have consumed since starting. Breakfast was a shake with skim milk, lunch was a couple of boiled eggs and dinner was a chicken tenderloin salad. I was around the 900 calorie mark today, which for me is great.

Coffee: Only 2 cups today and both before 10am. I tried to drink a cup with no sugar but just couldn't do it yet :(. Water was great and I consumed just under 2 litres.

Exercise: I seriously considered not doing any, as I was that sore! But honestly I knew if I didn't then I might have a different excuse for the next day, and then the next. By then I was feeling shitty at myself because I felt as though I was slipping in to my same old, same old excuse pattern, so I made myself walk around the park 3 x at a really good pace. I then came home did my 30 x Sumo squats, 30 x pushups of the kitchen island, and then 5 tricep dips. I couldn't do more than that at once, but throughout the rest of the day I managed to get those dips up to 30. This exercise more than anything lets me know how really heavy I am, and how unfit and lacking in strength I am to boot.

Sleep: Again really struggled. Didn't go to bed until after 12, and I was awake at 3am. Stayed in bed to 4.30 but didn't sleep.

New mantra: Healthy body, healthy mind.

#5 Rava, May 16, 2018
    April likes this.
  6. Determined93

Determined93 Member
    Registered

Hi Rava, welcome :)
    It sounds like you are off to a really good start. I was the same as you with sleep during my first week but I started to be able to sleep through with only brief waking times during the night after the first week. I still only average about 6-6.5 hours sleep a night now but that’s on me because I choose to stay up later so I can have some me time.

I loved reading your entries, especially the part about feeling like if you didn’t do anything for the day you felt like you would be slipping back into old habits. It’s remotivated me to get my butt back into gear. I started out like you accomplishing so much but then I got sick and for the past week I haven’t done much at all and the state of my house has definitely slipped so I am committed to getting back into my routine and to stop using being sick as an excuse.

Good luck with your journey, I am looking forward to reading more updates :)

April and Rava like this.
  7. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Thanks so much Determined93! :)

The sleeping scenario is a killer for me. I was reading another post today and another member mentioned Epsom salts in the bath, so I am actually going to give that a go and see if it helps. If it doesn't for sleeping at least it should help my aching legs I hope :)

Glad I could remotivate you :) I am sure you will be able to return the favour at some time! Reading the posts here by other members has given me that extra boost also, and it really makes me appreciate being able to join a community like this.

8. Determined93

Determined93 Member
    Registered

I love Epsom salt baths although I actually haven’t had one in a while. Try adding some lavender oil to your bath as well and also a few drops on your pillow before bed, this helped me quite some time ago when I went through a stage of really bad insomnia.

Another tip that I actually got from one of the other members on here was cold showers. Right up until the point I got sick I was having one in the morning which would help me get energised for the day and then another at night which would help me sleep better. I am not sure exactly how it works for helping to sleep at night but I have noticed the difference since I stopped. If you are brave enough to attempt it you just have a shower like normal but spend the last 3 minutes under just cold water. I was terrible at it at first and was lucky to last a minute but I eventually got used to it and actually enjoyed it.

Rava likes this.
  9. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

What an amazing start of a weight loss journey! Keep up the great work!

Rava likes this.
  10. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Determined93 - You wouldn't believe it but I just came back from the local shops and picked up Epsom salts infused/scented with both Lavender oil and green tea! :)

April thank you for your very kind words :)

11. Lottie86

Lottie86 Member
    Registered

As soon as I saw the Dutch curry soup I was thinking she’s either Aussie or kiwi.. love that soup!

Rava likes this.
  12. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Aussie :). and the Dutch Curry is definitely a favourite in our household!

Its been a staple that I take nearly everywhere with me lol.

Lottie86 likes this.
  13. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

Healthy body, healthy mind.
    Exercise Stats: 10,020 steps, 8.2km, 604 calories burned.

Observations Day 5

I was quite fuzzy yesterday, and my focus wasn't as strong as it had been in the last four days. I really do put it down to complete and utter lack of sleep. My list was done, but I had a lot of free time and I found myself perusing these forums quite a lot :). Thank goodness I did because it really gave me a pick me up early on through the day to "just keep going". So I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everybody who posts here and shares their high and lows, as it really helped me out throughout yesterday.

I also wanted to point out my weight stats, and why they are not changing. I am one of those people who easily congratulates themselves, and thinks a little reward will not hurt, and then on the other end of the spectrum I will berate myself so much, that I become caught up in a spiral of negative energy, and think stuff it your a failure. Food ends up being a reward and a punishment. Its definitely not healthy and I am really aware that I need to retrain my brain.

So a weekly weigh in it is for me. To be honest I am actually a little scared of this week ending and me having to step on the scale. I am planning how I am going to react to whatever the scale tells me. A reward will no longer be food obviously, for me this week its going to be a bloody good massage, as I know my body deserves it. What if it is a number that I do not like, or god forbid the scale doesn't shift. How am I going to react to that? This part is something that I am still working on but I will treat my body gently and with respect and I will be doing my best to have something in place so I don't end up berating myself and spiralling.

Food: Again a good day for me. Breakfast was a protein shake with skim milk. Lunch was 120g of chicken tenderloins with some slices of cucumber and cherry tomatoes and Dinner was a homemade beef patty (87g) again with salad.

Fluids: Coffee - 2 cups before 10am, black with 1 sugar. Water - again I struggled today and only managed to get down just over 800mls. I had a mild headache by late afternoon and I know that my lack of water contributed to that.

Exercise: Park again. 4 laps in total. One lap was a brisk walk for a warm up. Two laps were running around 20 meters than walking 20 meters. Last lap, another brisk walk. OMG I am sore! I think I complained for the rest of the day to anybody who would listen lol.

Running: I am determined! I really think it will become an exercise that allows me to switch off and just go - but, I need to learn how to do it correctly, cause I am so bloody sore, and its not just my legs and thighs, its my shoulders and arms as well! I actually did a little research late yesterday afternoon, and apparently my form is incorrect and I have chicken wings hahahaha!! Thank you to Plucky (I really need to learn how to link) for all the great advice she gave me yesterday!!! The tips were awesome and I will be chasing them up. I am really quite motivated and excited. Just a note for myself that I need to research some apps for my phone/watch and look at the reviews on accuracy in regards to exercise and calories burned.

Sleep: Oh the dreaded sleep! Again due to reading the posts here (a member advised this in her posts and I am sorry I can't remember which one, but thank you hugely!) and to some advice from Determined93, I picked up some Epsom salts with lavender and green tea. At around 6pm I had myself a huge bath that I stayed in for about 40 minutes. Two cups of these salts were added, and oh the relief! My body thanks you both. I swear I was asleep by 7.00pm. I did wake at 11pm but went back to sleep to 6.30am!!! Sleep how I love you so much!

#13 Rava, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    April likes this.
  14. Determined93

Determined93 Member
    Registered

Hi Rava,
    Glad you got a good night sleep :)
    My thoughts on rewarding yourself .. I actually haven’t given myself a reward for any weight loss as yet. I think I will wait until I’m down 10kg and then either have my hair done or get a massage .. something along those lines. I have a Lot to lose and I’m not exactly flush with cash so if I rewarded myself every week that I had a loss the costs would sure add up.

I also feel like rewarding yourself every week for a loss can negatively affect you if you have a week with no change or a gain but have still done everything right that week. Which does happen and to be honest it sucks to see but there are so many factors that can contribute to it and if you are weighing yourself weekly it just may happen to be that on the particular day that you do your weigh in you could be retaining more water then usual so if that does happen try your best not to get hung up on it and definitely don’t punish yourself.

I do however give myself small rewards for accomplishing things over the week. So for example with your running, if you look back over the week and see that you have made good progress in your times and or distance give yourself a reward.

It’s a lot more motivating to look at the whole picture of your progress rather then just basing it on what the scales say.

15. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

You know you bring up some really, really valid points!

Firstly I actually didn't think in terms of money spent each week and that would most definitely add up, so its not something that I would be willing to do for the long term!

Determined93 said: I also feel like rewarding yourself every week for a loss can negatively affect you if you have a week with no change or a gain but have still done everything right that week. Which does happen and to be honest it sucks to see but there are so many factors that can contribute to it and if you are weighing yourself weekly it just may happen to be that on the particular day that you do your weigh in you could be retaining more water then usual so if that does happen try your best not to get hung up on it and definitely don’t punish yourself.

Huh? Feel free to give me a slap with a wet noodle anytime! :)

You know what? I was so focused about not using food as a reward or punishment (as I have done continuously in the past), that I didn't even realise I was giving the scales such an important priority! I didn't even stop to consider that already (without even thinking about it) that I was giving them that much power over me and that I would let them determine how I felt on the day of weighing in!! Thank you so, so much for responding because honestly, I wouldn't have looked at it that way myself. I actually feel a little more prepared and a little less anxious about Saturday morning.

It's obvious to me that this self change shit is going to take some work!! and I am so thankful that I joined these forums, and that you took the time to respond and leave your insights!

So let me re-phrase.

The massage this week is a reward, because for seven days I have stuck to the lifestyle changes I have wanted to - which are; eating well and exercising daily and regardless of what the scales do or don't say, I know in my mind that I have made really good progress over the past week.

#15 Rava, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    April and Determined93 like this.
  16. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

Probably barking up the wrong tree, but I also used to have tea and coffee with two sugars and didn’t want to so I weaned myself off using artificial sweetener. Even if you believe the conspiracy theories it’s still better than sugar as it contains no calories. Others halve their usual and try to get used to less over time until they can stop. Some use other substitutes. I’m now a fan of vanilla syrup instead of any sugar, but I also learnt to just love black coffee so I can go black or have nothing added any time- I just made a pot of plunger coffee and drank one a day and within a couple of days I was enjoying it. Changing taste buds is just a matter of time and repitition.

17. Rava

Rava Member
    Registered

No problems with barking at any tree here :)

I have tried artificial sweeteners in the past but actually didn't find one the didn't leave a funky aftertaste to me. Off the top of my head I tried Splenda, Equal, Sweet n low (little sachet things if I remember right) and also Stevia from memory - but that was a few years ago now. I think it was around this time that I switched from white to raw sugar. Something about the raw sugar retaining some of its minerals even though minute. I don't remember for sure if there was much difference in calories or carbs when comparing the two? I don't think so, but I am not positive.

I'm ok with the one sugar I think (sounds like I am still trying to convince myself right?). I admit to not trying straight black again since Tuesday when it tasted like barf lol. Coffee is my little piece of heaven, my kick start to the day and I admit to going to the coffee machine lamenting about not having a another cup whilst I stare at it longingly lol!

Ive tried to keep it down to 2-3 cups at the most because of the sugar factor, but this alone has been a little bit harder than I thought. I have a craving for a cup around 3 - 4pm every day - but of course I am craving it sweetened to my taste!

I would love to know more about the Vanilla Syrup you described and using that as a substitute - is it something like Monin's? that could be a really good option for me!

April likes this.
  18. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

Hehe, yeah, I love Monin. The problem is, Monin's vanilla syrup contains about 23g of sugar per serve which amounts to about 90 calories per cup whereas a teaspoon of sugar is more like 4.2g of sugar and 16 calories roughly.

Monin does have sugar free/calorie free syrups, but that just means it's "artificial sweetener" (I don't know why we call it that when sweeteners nowadays are extracted from plants which makes it natural it's just the process that makes it "artificial" but refined sugar is processed itself soooo.... bit of a double standard there) so you may not like the taste.

Again, adapting your taste buds to sweeteners instead is just a matter of patience and repetition. I've never been a fan of the taste since I grew up using refined sugar too but I made the change and got used to it, just like I did with full cream milk to skim milk and then to soy and almond milk, butter to margarine to eventually Nuttelex, white bread to wholemeal to wholegrain bread, Coke to Coke Zero (was actually psyched about that one because I found Diet Coke tasted worse), etc. I did develop a preference for certain sweeteners over others but you can't expect any of them to taste exactly like refined sugar- I just picked the one I hated least and over time got used to the taste (then I started to prefer that over refined sugar!).

While I was making the switch I'd try different tactics such as using half refined sugar and half sweetener sometimes when I really didn't want to forgo the sugar, or simply reduce the amount of sweetener overall (1 sweetener = 2 tsp sugar, so I'd use less than one sachet) because less of it means less foul taste. Other times I'd satisfy myself simply by negotiating- alternate between cups with sugar and cups with sweetener instead during the day so at least half the time I wasn't consuming sugar and the rest of the time I wasn't feeling like I was depriving myself either which would just make drinking sweetened coffee harder later if you get what I mean.

I would tell people all the time how much I loved coffee, but who could really taste the coffee under all that milk and sugar? I felt like a fraud so I was determined to reduce my sugar intake to sweetener then sweetener to nothing plus milk to soy or almond milk and then to nothing so eventually I was drinking *actual* coffee and could actually say I really did love coffee :p In fact, whenever I had a latte after getting used to black coffee, even without any sugar, sweetener or syrup it still tasted too sweet and I felt like I couldn't taste the coffee. It was literally like drinking warm milk. No coffee taste at all. Taste is a matter of perspective.

Fast forward to today, I rarely have lattes or added sugar/sweetener/syrup, so when I do have it I don't stress about it. Some days I drink no coffee, most days one cup, occasionally two and infrequently more than three per day plus I keep track of my calories and sugar intake so I know it's not excessive anyway. You probably shouldn't either as long as you're no longer drink 10 cups per day with 2 tsp of sugar per cup :p I don't think anyone is put on this Earth to suffer, rather moderation is key to happiness and health.

Writing this while drinking coffee, haha. Coffee rant over!

Rava likes this.
  19. Determined93

Determined93 Member
    Registered

In my personal opinion and others may not agree but I believe that it’s okay to have things that aren’t considered overly healthy as long as your diet isn’t filled with them and you still manage to stay under or at your calories for the day.

I used to buy those cappuccino satchets that were the sweetened ones and would drink multiple a day. For the first couple of weeks I would still have a couple of them a day but I would then balance it out with healthier food options throughout the course of my day and would stay under my calorie goal. Since then I’ve switched to a different kind that isn’t sweetened but it still has more calories then plain black coffee and I’m fine with that because I personally wouldn’t be able to handle the switch long term.

As people say so often it’s better to make a lifestyle change and aim for healthier choices then to strictly diet, cut everything “bad” out and then either end up going on a binge, feel completely miserable because you don’t enjoy anything you are consuming or gain weight back once you are finished dieting and go back to the foods you love.

If you don’t like coffee without sugar and don’t like artificial sweeteners then continue to have sugar in your coffee and don’t feel bad about it. As long as you keep control of your calorie intake you will still loose weight, it may take a little bit longer then cutting out everything bad but you won’t feel miserable in the process and you will be more likely to keep the weight off and maintain your new lifestyle.

20. Stargazer

Stargazer Member
    Registered

As I already pointed out in my post, I'm in favour of moderation of all things in life, and don't believe Rava has anything to feel guilty about when practicing moderation. However, I do understand her feelings/desire to reduce or remove refined sugar from this aspect of her life (from her coffee) because I've shared them- so I also know that rationally acknowledging a few teaspoons of added sugar isn't the end of the world does not change that feeling or guilt associated with the feeling you lack willpower because you can't bring yourself to change the behaviour you want to change, that you also believe may be detrimental to your health if not your self-image. In fact, denying it can make it worse because it is so common for people in society to judge others for adding sugar to their beverages that you then feel paradoxically more guilty for caring what other people think when rationally you know you shouldn't- so now you feel guilty for both using sugar AND for not using sugar! That is why I chose to share my whole experience so ideally she feels no shame whichever choice she makes :) There's no shame in reducing your sugar intake even if you rationally know there's no need, and there's no shame in deciding not to because you do acknowledge rationally there's no need. No pressure. (I say that because as you can tell I'm a chronic over-thinker and I put a lot of pressure on myself about this back in the day)

Rava likes this.