5 steps to successful weight loss

Discussion in 'Useful info on weight loss' started by Kate, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

A successful weight loss needs a plan. Plan it as you would a vacation. You wouldn't withdraw your last 2000 dollars from the bank and start driving, would you? No, you would plan the trip!

Imagine if you didn't. You could easily blow all of your money, come home penniless, or in debt, wishing you had done it differently, or gone a different direction. It is too late, you haven't seen a thing you wanted to and are broke.

If you had planned, you would have asked--Where am I going? How much will it cost? What will I take? What will I do there? When will I come back? Chances are you would have had a great trip if you had planned. Each of these 5 vacation questions are similar to the steps below that pertain to weight loss. Planning a trip can be exciting and fun, and so can this!

1. Decide on the specific plan. Read magazines, surf the net, check out books at the library or ask your doctor. Educate yourself thoroughly on the different plans out there. Choose a healthy plan that works for you, and make sure that is one that you can live with! Will you do Weight Watchers? The Zone? Jenny Craig? Deal A Meal? TOPS? Your own balanced diet?

• The three of us started with balanced diets of 1800 calories a day, and approximately 30 fat grams daily. We presently intake approximately 1500 calories a day with 20-30 fat grams daily.
    2. Pick a goal weight. This should be subject to change. Have a close range in mind, but know that as you get closer you may realize it may be too light or too heavy for your build. Also, very important, break it down into small goals along the way. Choose weights that represent something, so you will have many short term goals to help keep you motivated. Seeing that the next goal is 6 pounds away is much nicer than seeing 10 pounds down. 90 to go!
    • Jennifer has 7 mini-goals listed in her journal, with a brief note as to why that weight is a goal.
    3. Decide how long it will take you to lose. This should be a reasonable goal! Do not kid yourself that it will come off quickly. As much as we'd like to shed it fast, it took time to gain it, an it will take time to lose it. For many people one pound a week OR 1% of body weight lost per week is a healthy rate. Count it up and mark it on a calendar. It sounds like such a long time, but wasn't it just yesterday you had that skinny picture taken?

4. Decide how you will achieve this without falling back. We lived many years eating and living an unhealthy lifestyle. Going from that to how we live today would be just as hard as quitting anything cold turkey--alcohol, smoking,nail biting,etc. This is a total lifestyle change, and should be taken on with care. Dip your toes in so you'll have the courage to jump in all the way! For many people, eating an unhelathy diet is a habit, a very hard habit to break! Start small and work up so you don't feel deprived.

• Some of our first steps were (not necessarily in this order) cutting down on carbonated drinks, and increasing water consumption. Cutting out all fried foods, choosing leaner cuts of meat, trying new fruits and veggies, cleansing our houses of the unhealthy foods that we found tempting,buying low-fat and low-cal snacks, exercising in small amounts with gradual improvement, etc.
    5. Find a support goup! This could be a formal support group, like TOPS or Weight Watchers with scheduled visits, an online support group, a friend or group of friends that also want to lose weight, or any other means that you find motivating. Rely on these people to help you, and always be there for them!

Ineedhelp and crazycat like this.
  2. Nathanial

Nathanial Guest

Definitely a great post. Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful.
    Thanks for sharing your tips.

3. davidgomes

davidgomes New Member
    Registered

Thanks Kate for this beneficial information. I truly appreciate your work.

4. Tony222

Tony222 Guest

Its very good to plan everything in your life. Weight loss also need good exercise and diet plan for getting good and effective results. You don't just start exercising without knowing that is it useful for your specific body needs or not. So first plan a program and routine for you then start and be stick with it.

5. Archar

Archar New Member
    Registered

Hi Kate,
    Great steps for successful weight loss and agree with your example. Like to share some weight loss tips here.
    Exercise regularly to lose weight by burning fat and boosting metabolism. Break your meals in 5/6 small meals including snacks and prefer raw food over processed food. Drink more water than routine and drink 3/4 cups of green tea daily. Do not drink beverages, soda and diet soda and avoid eating before going to bed.

Ineedhelp likes this.
  6. james120685

james120685 New Member
    Registered

Kate, Good work i think this is the one of the best post if you read carefully, Lose a body weight is always a tough task you need more patience and require hard work along with healthy diet. I regularly drink the Green Tea, enjoy the swimming, and cardio exercise to reduce the Body weight.

7. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Good job, James! I like your weight loss plan. But I must warn you: Green Tea is good, but some sources say that drinking it regularly (every day) may affect your calcium reserves in the body. I suggest you to mix it with some herbal tea or fruit tea for a change. Add some lemon or lime juice into it and a teaspoon of honey (but in the cold drink only!) and there you go, tasty, nourishing and energetic drink is ready!

8. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you all guys! I'm very glad that you find my post helpful and I must say it really worked for me! So, choose all of the tips or just one, in any case your weight loss plan will be much easier when you know what to do. And one more thing: if you have no one to support you on this difficult path towards weight loss, I'm here, we're all here to support you anytime! Share your results, diet tips or just have some friendly chat with other people here, because this is a delicate issue for some people and only those, who are in the same boat can understand it all. I wish you to gain your weight loss goals! :)

9. masymo

masymo Member
    Registered

Thank you for this thread, Kate! I followed most of your steps anyway, but its nice to have this step-by-step list.

April likes this.