1. Hi Guest, please read about new forum structure
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Live chat was removed from the Home page of the forum. You can access it in the Shoutbox section.
    Dismiss Notice

2 days in..... Not what I was expecting.

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Kaystrong, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Kaystrong

Kaystrong New Member
    Registered

I took the 30 mg caps both days at 6 am to avoid sleep issues. Both days I've been absolutely starving, more hungry than usual, despite having 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and an apple mid morning. I got up at midday, having no extra energy whatsoever. Aside from the dry, sandpaper mouth and extra hunger, no change. Does this mean it's not the one for me? I already exercise daily, eat fairly healthily, but was drinking more wine and being immobile after an accident (subsequently losing my job) I have gained quite a few kg in a few months. Should I be patient? People seem to say it kicks in immediately.

2. Sarziee

Sarziee New Member
    Registered

hi kaystrong, welcome to the club!

I am on also on 30mg. I am now on Week 2 Day 1 and I never felt better. Last week was crazy, my body was adjusting to the drug and the side effects. I did not sleep the first night but now I sleep like a baby. The only side effects that persist till now are the thirst, dry mouth and the bland appetite. I guess that is something that I have to deal with so long as im on it.

Different people has varying side effects and results. I lost 2kilos last week, others may lose more or less. It depends on the individual. What is most important is to listen to your body. I tried doing pushups today and it felt like the insides of my stomach is twisting and churning. It was painful, I had to stop.

I believe it will take a while to lose weight, we didnt gain it all overnight did we?

Ashdenzade and April like this.
  3. Kaystrong

Kaystrong New Member
    Registered

Hi Sarziee, thanks for taking the trouble to contribute and your words of wisdom. I'm not in a hurry to lose the weight, more concerned with the drug etc, being one who never normally takes any medication whatsoever, even my asthma unless I'm desperate! Most people I've read have said it works instantly but there's not enough information on the drug Web site, my doctor told me nothing and there was no leaflet. If someone said it could be a week before you notice an effect (not the outcome ie loss), that's great. Third day today: pill, breakfast of 2 boiled eggs, hungry by 10 and tired so had a trim coffee, starving more than normal by 12, so had some chicken and avocado salad, starving again at 4 so had a bowl of grapes, (drinking lots of water, ), hungry again at 6 and ate dinner - a small steak with tomato salad, 2 new potatoes and natural yoghurt dressing, with soda and lime cordial to drink. It's 8.30 pm now and I'm in bed because I'm worn out. Walked 13,000 steps today but that is not at all unusual. What is unusual is the lack of energy.

4. Sarziee

Sarziee New Member
    Registered

Hi Kay

I have asthma too and it can be pretty bad when there's haze here. I was also concerned of the drug particularly as I do have a condition of SVT (rapid heart rate), believe you me there are many things I have to consider before taking it. But I told myself that I will stop if it proves too much. Like I mentioned, last week was crazy and I have this "simmering" anxiety, it makes me feel moody and restless ..it was awful. Still, I persevere. I guess maybe you need time for it to work on you for you to conclude if its the right med for you.

Perhaps you should relook into your diet and see if you are eating enough. For me 2 boiled eggs for breakfast is a pretty sad meal. Why dont you have a salad as a side and hardboiled eggs with a healthy dressing? Or maybe toast with avocado and egg...maybe you need more food for energy? I am just speculating, as you know I started Duromine last week, and I was doing everything 'backwards', I did my research while I was on it, I started learning how to eat well, experimenting here and there. For example, I thought calorie counting was good for me but it makes me more depressed so I do away with that. I make it a point to look at food in another perspective, like looking at it, its colours, texture, taste, chewing food longer instead of just gobbling it up.. I see food as nutrition. So when I see it that way, I want more than just 2 hardboiled eggs. I want a meal of protein, veggie and carb. I did a lot of self-talking lol, makes me feel like im in control of my diet. And I had 1 litre of water for every meal. I snack only if necessary because drinking 1 litre of water takes time. Warm water.

if something doesnt work you then tweak it. You could also keep a diary or a blog like I do. there's always something new everyday to discover and learn and apply..it's a journey, Kay. and im more excited than before.

April likes this.
  5. Kaystrong

Kaystrong New Member
    Registered

Well done, you do seem to be on the right track all round. And thanks for your advice.

6. Sarziee

Sarziee New Member
    Registered

Thank you! I still have a long way to go ;)

Also, there's nothing more sexier than getting your body in shape while your man cheers you on:p

7. Kaystrong

Kaystrong New Member
    Registered

Hmm, best not go there. In the meantime let me know if I can help you with anything. I'm good in the kitchen too, so might have some useful tips, you never know. I was looking for a book I read (for you) but can't find it. Will keep at it a little longer.

8. Sarziee

Sarziee New Member
    Registered

I always am interested to know what others have for their meals so I can have a variety to mix and match. Which means that I don't have to eat the same food every day. Unlike you, I don't cook that often so I am on the lookout on meals that are easy to prepare and doesn't require expensive ingredients.

9. Kaystrong

Kaystrong New Member
    Registered

Hi! I presume these msgs are not private.. Just called into the GP's, one receptionist used them with fantastic results, the other had the same as me, no effect, but I'll give them 2 weeks.

Regards food. I almost never buy anything pre prepared so I always know what's in my food. I don't believe diets work and though I never thought it could happen to me, after years of yo-yo dieting, and trying el very fad and shake on the planet, I can finally be like normal people and eat what I want while maintaining my weight. When I say eat what I want, that's usually pretty healthy stuff anyway and what I ate yesterday is not unusual. I rarely eat junk, cakes, sweets, pastries, biscuits but if I want a scoop of chocolate ice cream I will have it - self denial only leads to cravings in my experience. I gave up all the diet spreads and if I want butter, I have it. On occasion I'll have rice and rather than weigh and measure I know small ramekin of cooked rice is around 150 kcals - no fussing! Again, easy to double up otherwise.
    Although I don't eat greedy portions piled up high, exercise makes me hungry, as does often waiting way beyond when I am hungry in order to eat with my husband, so I do try and watch my portions as it's easy to double the protein without realising. I also don't own a deep fat dryer, bread maker or ice cream maker!

Years ago, Slimming Magazine used to do a "thin twin" segment, taking a traditional recipe and substituting with a healthier option, and I continue to invent them at home, eg Thai curry (NO coconut milk), chicken tikka, burgers, etc. One of my quick, filling meals is to roast peppers, onions and garlic and make a wrap with chicken, lite sour cream and chilli sauce. These thin wraps make excellent seafood pizza bases and are very filling, especially wholemeal. If friends are having pre dinner snacks, I'll roll up a mountain bread, toast it and rub it with garlic, butter optional - maybe 100 Cals max, way less than their crisps, nuts and dips, although I make my own dips! And I make a great low calorie hummus, far nicer than the shop variety. I don't count calories these days but still like to be aware of what is in stuff. So many options, especially soup in winter .......

April likes this.
  10. Sarziee

Sarziee New Member
    Registered

Wowww just by reading it makes me feel hungry!!! Thank you so much Kay, I would definitely try the wrap meals. I could buy in bulk and prepare them way ahead. You have given me a really great suggestion on what I can eat.

oh yeah, we could PM too if you like :)

April likes this.
  11. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

With all the forum changes, I missed saying hi to you Kaystrong. But I see you already have a support team =)) Did Duromine start working? How do you feel today? It might need some time to kick in with its appetite suppression. However, it can still make you hungry when it’s time to eat, yet help you feel full from smaller amount of meals. You see, appetite suppression is not its single effect. It also provides a certain metabolism boost, which might be the reason for increased hunger… I don’t know… I really hope that you will get the effect as soon as possible

12. Kaystrong

Kaystrong New Member
    Registered

Hmm, OK, I sort of get that. It's 5.30 am, I'm awake and hungry.. I wish the metabolism boost would go elsewhere! I swam yesterday but only managed 20 minutes when I usually do an hour. I struggled. I have to admit the reason I agreed to take it was dreams of all the energy people talk about. To be more tired has been so disappointing. Now I'm wondering should I keep at it...or take 4 days off as suggested, or decide it's not for me!

13. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Well, before you decide it’s not for you, you can take the 4 days off-restart option, why not? Many people report of tiredness instead of energy boost. Don’t give up this fast! Fingers crossed it works

14. Janduro

Janduro New Member
    Registered

I had the same issue with lack of energy and lethargic. I am also still hungry. I do think you should eat a bigger breakfast to keep you full for longer. I have oats with water, natural yoghurt, blueberries and honey. You don’t want to reduce food too much, or you will put weight back on again after you stop. I keep thinking, is it working? But it is because my portions are smaller but still consistently eating like 3 meals and two snacks a day. I’ve been on it for 1 month and I’ve lost 4.5kg, and do two strength training sessions a week and walking. I could definitely up my cardio, but at the moment this is working, and then when I’m off Duromine I plan to use exercise to assist with maintaining/losing a couple more kilos. Stick with it, at least for a month!

April likes this.
  15. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member Registered

Hi, Kaystrong. How is it going? Any changes for better?

• Like us on Facebook