1st week on Duromine 15mg

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SGH, Jun 18, 2018.

1. SGH

SGH New Member
    Registered

Starting Weight:
    97kg
    Current Weight:
    94.4kg
    Height:
    159cm
    Lost:
    2.6kg
    Goal Weight:
    75kg
    Hi everyone my name is Sharyn. I started on Duromine 15mg for the 1st time on Friday. I've been trying to lose weight most of my life to be honest but nothing has really worked well nothing long term. This also has to do with PCOS which effects my hormone levels & caused me to require IVF to have my now 3yr old son. So i went to my doctor to discuss trailing optislim but she felt as i am already on a low calorie diet & with my hormone imbalance it wouldn't work alone so prescribed duromine 15mg to help. My 1st day was Friday which was tricky as I'm a permenant night shift worker...so on work nights i need to take it at night & then swap back to morning. This has been hard. I haven't had a lot of side effects a bit of dry mouth is the worst. I was a little doubtful tjat it would work for me (as nothing before has) but after the 1st few days & averaging 1kg weightloss each day I'm a beliver. I am sticking to a 1200 cal diet & using optislim as a lunchtime meal as to be honest I'm struggling to eat a full 1200 cals. I'm noticing that I'm starting to feel hungry after about 12hrs but drinking some water or a green tea seems to help. Most of my family don't know I'm using duromine but my mum is very supportive. My husband unfortunately can be part of my problem as he doesn't feel i need to lose any weight & van understand why its so important to me but he'll come around. I don't expect to come out of this looking like a supermodel i like my curves but i would like to get down to between 75-80kg & reduce my health risks. Thanks for listening.

April and TeeDee67 like this.
  2. SGH

SGH New Member
    Registered

So hear goes another day...not a great day today feeling a bit down. Yesterday although i tried hard with food we had dinner out with family for my son & dad's birthday which meant less control over food. While I've had weightloss everyday since starting duromine today i stayed the same...taking the high road thou & putting it to the universe that it could be worse i could have gained. My biggest take away from yesterday is empty calories = waking up feel hungry the next day! Oh well back on the wagon today i will do better!

3. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

@SGH dont forget if you keep feeling hungry you could always go back to your GP and ask for a higher dose :)

I have read on the forums here that it is quite usual for your GP to start you out on the lowest mg and if it doesn't knock back the hunger to go to 30mg next.

April likes this.
  4. SGH

SGH New Member
    Registered

Thanks Rava my doctor started on the lower dose as I'm a lifetime sufferer of depression & anxiety & duromine isn't really meant to be prescribed to me. I think she is planning to up the dose once we see what effect it has on my condition. I'm on weekly visits to monitor throughout. Thank u again for the advice.

5. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

Sounds like you have an awesome Dr :)

How are you feeling today?

April likes this.
  6. SGH

SGH New Member
    Registered

Thanks Rava my doctor is really supportive & seems to understand the importance of me losing the weight even in relation to my depression. I had a bit of a bad day today i have a head cold & feeling a bit run down. Also very suprised how much none processed whole foods you can consume on a 1200 cal diet! Giving myself a small treat tonight of low fat ice cream & milo (my remaining calories & fat allowance are more than enough). Been trying to keep to high protein low fat diet (allowing 30g fat per day) with moderate carb intake of around 150g per day. Hoping this is the right thing to do . No weightloss again today but i did a gym workout yesterday & went for a walk today. I'm really missing bread but i know its 1 of my worst enemies! Hopefully the cm's will show on Monday.

Rava likes this.
  7. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

I am so glad you have a GP that is really supportive @SGH *hugs*

It's the time of the year for colds to start creeping up on you here in Australia and my hubby last week was looking like he might get some type of head cold too. Do you take any vitamins? Zinc and Vitamin C will help your immune system, whilst giving it a little boost. I swear it helps reduce the symptoms of a common cold :)

In regards to your diet - everyones body reacts differently to different foods - so its great that you are tracking what you are eating, as it will allow you to change it up if you need to or want to in the future!

My diet is pretty similar :). I tend to focus on high protein, healthy fats and low carb (for me I try and keep it under 60g) But if I need to change it up I do!

A few weeks ago I was having little to no energy around 3 - 4pm - but just by adding some rolled oats every other day to my breakfast, it really did give me a boost. I generally use either Uncle Tobys or the good old Quaker Oats - both made from wholegrain and very similar in the nutrient breakdown. - No sodium in Quaker though :)

Half a cup: 150 calories, 27g carbs, 1g sugar, 5g protein.

And.... I hear you about bread! I absolutely love it!!!! But like you I know that its probably my worst enemy too! If I really decide I cant do without it, I try and limit it to the morning. My goto is a slice of Rye bread (which is quite dense and heavy) but is just yummy!!

One slice is: 90 calories, 16g carbs, 1g sugar, 3g protein

SGH likes this.
  8. Zoe Heuzenroeder

Zoe Heuzenroeder New Member
    Registered

Hi Sharyn,

How are you going now?

I just started the 15mg today, so I'm interested to hear how your month has been!