1st time on Duromine

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lee buys, Oct 11, 2018.

1. lee buys

lee buys New Member
    Registered

Starting Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Height:
    Lost:
    Goal Weight:
    Hi to all
    I am pleased to be part of this forum and hoping to get some advice and guidance. I will try not to be too long
    winded but want to give the whole picture. Here goes. My GP put me on 30mgs 3 weeks ago as I have under active thyroid but thinks my metabolism has stalled. I go back next week for a review. 1st 2 weeks I lost a total of 2.6kgs which I thought was pretty good considering I spent most of the time in bed with the flu. But I was still eating and drinking. The only side effect I had was the dry mouth. This week I have been up and about a lot more walking and gardening, jumped on the scales for my weekly weigh in and I have gained 1kg!!!. Very disheartening and I don't understand why. My eating habbits haven't changed I still stick around the1200 -1500 calories which is right for my height and age,any lower and I go into starvation mode. The dry mouth has disappeared and by mid afternoon the 4 o'clock munchies have come back. I try and curb that with a handle of nuts. I don't think I have unrealistic expectations but my GP said I should lose 1-2 kgs per week . Would love to hear from others who have had similar issues. Thanks for letting me join the group

#1 lee buys, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Anka80

Anka80 New Member
    Registered

Hello
    Welcome to the forum! I’m new here too.
    I’m not a pro on Duromine so don’t know how to answer the question about your no-loss week but don’t feel discouraged and keep going. Everybody has different experiences with Duromine and different losses. I’m only on day 2 and tempted to weigh myself but told myself I’d only do it once a week. So far I’m feeling great though. I know there’s no way I could have lost a heap of weight but I feel so much better about myself. I’ve got energy, am making good food choices instead of instantly reaching for junk food and feel so much happier. Best of luck! I’m sure you’ll have a better week next time!

lee buys and Tricia M like this.
  3. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

Hi @lee buys and welcome to the forums :)

Great result in your first week, even though sick *hugs* and I can see why now you would be concerned about your weight not shifting.

I know you stated that 1200 - 1500 calories is right for your height and age - but maybe have a look at what type of foods you are eating... Are they high in salt? carbs? sugars or fats? Carbs and salt will cause your body to retain water weight - which can make the scale jump up quite a bit.

If your not already, its a really good idea to track your foods and when you are eating them. Look at my fitness pal and lose it - both are free and give really good insights when they break down your food groups. For me, I thought I was sticking to my calories but when I entered each and everything I ate - my calories were way out!!

Its also good to keep in mind that you need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight.

So, the formula is;

One pound of fat equates to 3,500 calories, so for a weekly loss of 2.2 pounds, or 1 kilogram, you need to plan a 1100 calorie deficit each day for a period of 7 days. (7700 calorie deficit each week).

You achieve this through diet and exercise :)

Hope this helps!

Dre and lee buys like this.
  4. Dre

Dre Active Member
    Registered

thank you Rava my beautiful girl,
    great advice well done!

keep it up Lee buys and Anka80 you are all doing wonderful stuff never give up,
    and remember, Duromine will always go with you!
    by that i mean,
    when you are sad? it will be your strength..
    when you are stressed? it will be your power..
    when you are down? it will lift you up..
    when you are busy at work? it will be your friend when no one else cares..
    when you need advice? it will be your council..
    when you need love? it will always be there..
    but my favourite,
    when you need a friend?
    Duromine is your light when darkness falls on your life..

Hugs
    Dre

Bonnie13 likes this.
  5. lee buys

lee buys New Member
    Registered

Thank you for your post. Yes I am persevering for another week before I have my 4 week assessment with my GP. This was the last hope for me. I eat reasonably healthy have paid $s for a PT and gym memberships and not lost a gram. Thyroid underactive so duromine was prescribed to try and kick start my metabolism. Don't know if going to the 40mg will do any difference that will be the GPs call

6. lee buys

lee buys New Member
    Registered

Hi Rava
    Thank you for your reply. My GP went through my eating plan before she prescribed me the 30mgs.
    I don't use salt on my foods though Im supposed to as I basically drink dead water according to my naturopath.
    The only sugars I have are what's in the berries I use for my smoothies
    I stay away as much as humanly possible from sugars as I have a terrible sweet tooth lol
    Its just frustrating ,because of underlying health issues I eat healthy I gain I eat crap I gain. So for me its a big mind tug a war.
    But I will persevere and read everyone's posts with interest

Rava likes this.
  7. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

@lee buys well sweetie you are doing all the right things! Hang in there - and just keep going. Sometimes our bodies say "bugger it, this isn't what I am used to" and try to retain the weight, but sooner or later they WILL let it go! My third week on Duromine - my body decided to gain a kilo and it just about caused me to blow a fuse! All I can do is encourage you to just keep going! It will happen *hugs*

I hear you about the sugars! I am actually not even eating fruit for the first couple of weeks (just re-started Duromine again today after a 4 month break) as it leads me to crave something sweet, and then I would scour the cupboard!

Frustrating as hell eh? Maybe you can turn that frustration into cardio?? It helps me whack the crap out of things when I am having a shitty day! I pick myself up and do some squats or better yet belt out a run/walk.

I will keep checking back to see how your doing hun!

You got this!

#7 Rava, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  8. lee buys

lee buys New Member
    Registered

Thanks Rava
    Yes dam frustrating. So easy to say to hell with it all but will keep going. I really appreciate the responses. Only my husband knows I am taking the Duromine as my kids(all adults) just roll their eyes and go oh here she goes again lol. So being able to get support from others is great

Rava likes this.
  9. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

I hear you! @lee buys :)

For me this forum has been a godsend, and I am pretty much in the same boat as you - hubby knows - rest of the family don't - and you know what we all need encouragement no matter what our age!! (My kids are 19 and 18 years and of course know everything!)

Starting my Duromine journey was a little like being thrown in the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim, found the forum - and grabbed the floatie keeping my head above water :)

I really recommend keeping a journal maybe start one up in https://duromineforum.com/forums/my-experience-with-duromine.6/ here.

Write down how your feeling, what ever thoughts you have and what your doing food wise etc... It really helps me out to just be able to put it all down.

I will definitely be checking in and maybe we can help each other out when we are having a crappy or down day :)

10. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

11. Capri312

Capri312 New Member
    Registered

Is there anyone else whose insulin resistant and on duromine ?
    I’m on glucophage xr and duromine 15mg ....
    Day 2 today
    A lot of nausea
    Dry mouth and thirst .....

12. Rava

Rava Active Member
    Registered

@Capri312

How is the nausea today?

Please make sure you are drinking AND eating enough. Hopefully this will subside by the end of the week. It is a common side effect unfortunately :(

Dry mouth - It's the pits!! This one can actually last the whole time you are on Duromine. The only good thing about it, is that it will make you thirsty so you are able to get in your water for the day :)

To help relieve the dryness you can try;

Sucking on some ice cubes.
    Chewing some sugar free gum (this one helps me for both dry mouth and clenching my teeth)
    And I do know there is a type of spray you can get from the chemist.

If you pop up to the search menu - top right of your screen and across from the forum logo you will find the search bar. Place in your query ie: I just searched insulin resistance and the results will come up :)

https://duromineforum.com/search/2140916/?q=insulin+resistant&o=date

Dre likes this.
  13. Capri312

Capri312 New Member
    Registered

Hi there
    Nausea was tiny bit better today
    I’m definitely improving on the water intake though . I am hoping it gets easier as the days go by

Rava likes this.