1st time on Duromine and LOVE IT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by NoodleBlue, Aug 27, 2018.

1. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Hi Everyone!
    I've been a lurker for quite some time and finally decided to join up :)

I started on the 15mg dose just over 3 weeks ago and I am SO glad my Dr recommended this to me.

My starting weight was 82.5kgs and at 160cm, that put my BMI as obese :( I actually went to my Dr regarding another issue which is made worse by weight gain and she spoke to me about Duromine - I went through a barrage of tests first before she would prescribe it to me. The first week was the worst with the side effects, and even then they weren't that bad! I got the dry mouth (still have it) and I would get the jitters/light head in the mornings but that went away once I ate at lunch time.

My sleep hasn't been effected too badly, my partner starts work early (6am) so we're both in bed early. I find if I can't sleep then I'll just take a sleep aid and it works wonders - I usually have to take it maybe once to twice a week.

I'm pretty happy with my weight loss so far, 4kgs total in 3 weeks.
    The first week I lost 2.4kgs, the second week nothing (but didn't gain so that was a win for me) and this week that's just finished, I was another 1.6kgs down. My Dr will be happy for me to lose 10kgs in 3 months. She wants me to lose around 20kgs to get me into my ideal BMI so she's going to keep me on Duromine for 6months (or until I'm at my goal weight of 60ishkgs).

My diet and exercise has changed dramatically in the past 3 weeks - I've joined a gym and get there at least 3 times a week for an hour each time (definitely felt the energy boost from the Duro!). I'm tracking what I eat and stick to anywhere between 1000-1200 calories a day. I'm more mindful of what goes in my mouth and I've stopped the mindless snacking.

I have a great support system around me however only my twin sister knows I'm taking it (we're identical and she's the weight I'm supposed/want to be)- even though I'm 35 years old, I'm still my Mum's "baby" and I know she would google Duromine, see the potential side effects and freak out haha so it's better to keep her in the dark. My partner would be the same. So it's mine and my sisters little secret (I will however come clean to them once I've lost the weight). My sister is only ok with me taking this due to the fact that I'm being monitored by my Dr on a monthly basis (she's only prescribing it to me on a month by month basis) - I also work at the medical clinic where my Dr is so if anything did go wrong, I have quick access to my medical professional :)

Rava and suzielee like this.
  2. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hello NoodleBlue! Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the weight loss! Looks like everything is going pretty well with your weight loss journey and I just LOVE how many things you have changed and how you monitor your menu and activity level!

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that you are planning to take it 6 months… is there a break planned in between the 3 and 4 month? Or the doc says it’s fine to take it this long?

I am glad that you found someone (the closest person, probably) to share your little secret with AND you got her support. Looking forward to your updates and keeping my fingers crossed for a successful outcome! Have a lovely week!

3. Starlet85

Starlet85 New Member
    Registered

Can I ask what kind of tests your doctor made you do before prescribing? My doctor offered it to me and honestly I was naive and knew little about it, the side effects hit me like a truck

4. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Hi April,

Thank you for the welcome!

My Dr is prescribing it month by month after I've seen her for a check ups so if I reach my goal weight before the 6 months then I'll be taken off of it. She also said that 6 months is the absolute maximum amount of time I can be on it.

April likes this.
  5. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Hi Starlet85,

As I have slightly high blood pressure (on the low end of being high but still above what it should be for someone my age) I had a full blood work up done, along with an ultrasound of my kidneys to make sure they weren't the problem as there is a condition with the kidneys that can cause high blood pressure.

I also did a looooooot of research on the internet regarding Duromine and had a good idea of the possible side effects (Dr also explained them to me). She also started me on the lowest dose because of the potential side effects as well - I seem to be one of the lucky ones who haven't suffered too badly from them, but that could change if/when I go to a higher dose.. I hope the side effects start to ease for you soon!

6. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Small win! When a work colleague notices you've lost weight and comments on it :D

Rava and April like this.
  7. Starlet85

Starlet85 New Member
    Registered

Thank you for that was just curious

8. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Week 4 done and dusted! 0.5kgs down this week bringing my total weight loss to 4.5kgs.

I feel like I might need to go on a stronger dose though as last week I was pretty hungry all the time, I stuck to my 1200 calories a day but it was still a struggle so I'm going to ask my Dr tomorrow when I have my check up with her.

My partner was watching me get changed into my pj's the other night and commented that he could see the weight I've lost and the change in my body already, especially around my tummy and upper arms. He also told me how proud he is of me which was lovely and gave me the warm fuzzies :)

April likes this.
  9. Starlet85

Starlet85 New Member
    Registered

That’s great! Guess where I’ve lost most of my weight.... my fingers!! So annoying lol my engagement ring is pretty loose on my finger now, I know I’ve lost some of my tummy too but would really like some to shift from my face

April likes this.
  10. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Hahaha! Don't you wish you could pick and choose where the weight comes off? I really don't need to lose any in my boobs! LOL. They're a small B as it is lol! It would be awesome if some of the fat from my butt could just magically migrate to my chest :D

How are the side effects treating you now? How much weight have you lost? How long have you been on Duromine? haha look at me, full of questions! :p

April likes this.
  11. Starlet85

Starlet85 New Member
    Registered

I’m on day 34 now (started 1st August) started at 113kgs and now at 104kg so 9kgs but most of that was at the start it’s been really slow the last 2-3 weeks frustratingly slow, I feel like I’m doing something wrong like something isn’t working for me but I don’t know what, I’m keeping track on my food around 800-1000 a day, mostly proteins and vegetables, no sugar, minimal carbs only drinking water and green tea, I have a Fitbit now and tracking my steps per day, so exercise I’m walking, boxing and weights, that’s great that someone at work noticed your weight loss! I’m still waiting for someone to notice mine I know I shouldn’t be reliant on other people but it would be nice to have that validation! In regard to side effects I’ve had a lot, so the first week I was sleeping 2 hours a night, it’s much easier now but I sleep an hour less then I use to but I feel fine, I have dry mouth 24/7 and always have a terrible taste in my mouth so lots of gum, lips are always dry and skin too, a few mood swings, increased libido but it was already high, dry blood in nose, jitters/shakes, constipation so I need to take benefibre everyday (never been constipated before) and I find it a bit harder to concentrate, lots of fun! I went to the doctor last week and she checked me out and my blood pressure and heart rate was good so she was happy for me to continue, I’m not giving up but I’m finding it hard to stay positive with such little results, I’m the same as you I haven’t told anyone but my partner only cause he found the box and he was concerned about me going on it but I promised him I’d stop taking them if it was taking it’s toll on me

April likes this.
  12. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

You both here are going great! Though, of course, @Starlet85 the side effects did hit you hard. You’re so brave that you don’t give up! =) The weight loss usually slows down, unfortunately there’s nothing we can do but to give out body a shock, like upping your calories by about 20% for two days, and then continue with your usual routine.

Wish you an amazingly successful week!

NoodleBlue and Starlet85 like this.
  13. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Wow Starlet85 - those side effects sound awful! What dose did you start on? My Dr started me on the 15mg which I think has helped minimise the side effects. I'm going to be asking for the 30mg dose today so we'll see if my side effects increase!

I found if I ate less than 1000 calories a day, my weight loss went to pretty much zero, once I upped my calorie intake to 1000-1200 a day the weight has steadily come off - I will have a good loss (a kilo or more) one week and then a small (anything under a kilo) loss the next week then it will go back to a 'good' loss the following week. I also eat pretty much whatever I want for 1 day a week (usually a Saturday) and then go back to monitoring my calories for the rest of the week.

Your loss of 9kgs in just over 4 weeks is amazing! That's double what I've lost (and I started a week after you did on the 6th Aug) so don't be despondent! It's better to lose it slower than quicker as it will be much easier to maintain when you get to your goal weight.

I keep my Duromine packet in my underwear drawer LOL. I do the washing in our house so the boyfriend never goes in there haha. He wouldn't know what it was if he did find it anyway and wouldn't think to Google it. It's just easier to take it on the sly than try to explain it lol.

And thanks @April :D Hoping for a 'whoosh' week this week!

April likes this.
  14. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Quick update! I had my apt with my GP yesterday afternoon, she is very happy with my weight loss for the month and I've also lost 3cm from my waist :D.

I spoke to her about increasing my dose of Duro and she suggested I stick with the 15mg for now but take 2 to equal the 30mg and see how I tolerate it first, if all good then she will give me a new script for 30mg next week and if I don't tolerate it so well then I can just reduce back to 1 pill a day. Works to be a little more costly but I'm lucky to be in the position to be able to afford it...

No more weight loss this morning but I took my first 30mg dose this morning so fingers crossed!

April likes this.
  15. Starlet85

Starlet85 New Member
    Registered

That’s good news about your weight loss! I should have taken my measurements before starting oh well! I’m taking the 30’s but the doctor last week said I could go up to the 40’s if I wanted to but to be honest with all the side effects I’ve been having I declined against also I saw no benefit in going to the higher dose as hunger isn’t an issue for me, I don’t know maybe the 40’s speed up your metabolism? I’ll try to increase my calories to just over 1000 and see how I go with that, I know I just have to be patient, let me know if you get any additional side effects from taking 2

April likes this.
  16. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

My Dr only took my waist measurement - I didn't do any of my own, I go by the scales and how my clothes are fitting :)

Increasing your calorie intake to lose weight seems like a strange concept but it will work - anything under 1000 calories and your body will be in starvation mode so it will hold onto any little thing you eat and turn it to fat - while you'll initially lose weight by eating so less, eventually the body catches up and starts storing - it happened to me. Once I started eating the 1000-12000 I started to lose again.

I'm definitely feeling the difference with the 30mg- I took it at 6am this morning and by 10am felt the 'high' and was a bit spacey until I ate at lunch time. Have a bit of a dry mouth (which had stopped with the 15mg) and no hunger.. I don't think I'd want to go on the 40mg either... seems a bit extreme!

April likes this.
  17. Starlet85

Starlet85 New Member
    Registered

Yes I can relate to the spaceyness I found my toothpaste in the kitchen once and every so often I walk into rooms having no idea why I’m there! I wanted to ask with the calories do I need to factor in exercise so for example if I’ve lost 200 calories via exercise for the day those that mean I have to eat 1400 calories?

18. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Oh no! you still stick to the 1200 - the calories burnt in exercise are a bonus! So yesterday I ate 1149 calories and burnt 740 calories through my workout.

19. Starlet85

Starlet85 New Member
    Registered

I thought so just checking!

20. NoodleBlue

NoodleBlue New Member
    Registered

Haha no worries :D I mean, technically you could eat those extra calories burnt but it would just defeat the purpose of working out lol.