15mg, 30mg or 40mg?

Discussion in 'Duromine Questions and Answers' started by Smick, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ok what strength capsules are you on and how is this working for you?
    I went to my GP today and expected he would start me on 15mg and he suggested 40mg!!!! I freaked a bit and said I would prefer 30 mg to see how I go. Will review in a month and adjust up or down if needed.
    Just wondering if he suggested 40mg as I have so much to lose and what is everyone else on?

2. Sponono

Sponono New Member
    Registered

Hello and welcome
    i don think the 40mg makes alot of diff from the 30m, i am currently on 30mg, and weght is 100kg, so it makes not much, lets give it a month, please dont think other way around and feel u need to lose most, we all got most to lose, my goal weight is also 69-60, in bettwen there, take care

Smick likes this.
  3. Audrey3

Audrey3 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome Smick. Your doctor probably knows best, and you can always go back for a stronger / milder dosage if needed. You may experience some side effects at first, it is normal, but it will get better in a few day's time. Just remember to drink lots of water!
    I know of people who started on the 30mg and was not happy with the side effects and switched to 15mg and are doing great, so just see how it works for you and do not stress about it - you can always change.

Good luck!;)

Smick likes this.
  4. Lanny Edey

Lanny Edey Member
    Registered

Yeah, trust in your doctors decision. Your doctor will more than likely be taking into account more than just the primary effects/results of Duromine and incorporating the other ingredients that are contained in the drug. That being said, after a while you will know where you should be with increasing or decreasing the mg of Duromine. Incorporate a healthy eating and exercise plan with you Duromine and that will give you a good indication what you should be seeking when you need to get a rescript. It's no good eating unhealthy or not doing some form of exercise and getting disappointed that the Duromine isn't working and upping the dosage to get results and still keeping the old bad eating habits. Been there done that years ago, back then it just set me up for mass disappointment :-(

Rock on, stay fab ;-)

Smick likes this.
  5. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

TBH I always question the doctor. I work in pharmacy and have generally found that the pharmacist is more knowledgable about medications. Doctors are great at diagnosing but they cannot know everything about every drug. They rely on their computer to tell them what is what. I am on no other medication. I was just a little surprised as I was expecting to begin on the lowest dose and see how it goes. We have been taught that you always start with a low dose, particularly if there is a high possibility of side effects, unless there is a specific need for a higher dose (e.g. dosage designed to be proportional to weight). The aim is to treat the condition with just what is needed no more.
    Don't get me wrong.... I am happy that I am on the 30mg as I was anticipating that would be where I would end up. Just a bit taken aback that the doc went for the highest dose first.

Leigh'sgottalottolose likes this.
  6. BeeDreamy

BeeDreamy New Member
    Registered

The Dr has started me on 30mg and said he has based this on my BMI. The first 2 to 3 days i had a few side effects which i expected anyway, with trouble sleeping/staying asleep, but by the 3rd and 4th night ive been able to sleep normally, i dose right on or just before 5am though. I would feel a bit "spacey" on days 1,2 & 3 if i sat still talking for a while, it felt better to be doing something. But that has since subsided and im feeling pretty good now! I started on Saturday morning and would recommend starting on days when you don't have work so you can see how it effects you and get thru the first couple of days worth of side effects. I've lost 1kg so far (in 4 days) Good Luck with your weight loss

lovely gal and Smick like this.
  7. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks BeeDreamy. I am not working the rest of this week so that is why I started yesterday. I wanted to make sure i was OK before having D on a work day.. So far so good. I'm not sure if I want to weigh myself daily or weekly. Bit scared I'm not going to see any results. And I know that my weight fluctuates. Might wait till the weekend and see if I have had a loss worth noting. I have an interview with my son's math teacher today along with the head of curriculum and was a bit concerned I might be a bit jumpy or spacey. I hope not.. Gotta fight to keep him in regular maths. :mad: really would be best if I had all my senses.

8. BeeDreamy

BeeDreamy New Member
    Registered

Oh good luck for the meeting at school today! I found my jittery and spaceyness tended to feel worse when I was wondering if my partner could notice. If I didn't think of it though I handled it better. So maybe that might help you today if you do feel any side effect.
    That's great you have the week off and will be able to settle into the meds hopefully before heading back, nice one!
    Yes I don't intend on weighing daily either, I first weighed myself today and started on Saturday morning and the only reason was to do my signature on here lol.
    I had already however noticed a slight change to my waist/hips/tummy size and shape so had an idea I have been doing OK so far :) I find I have been able to eat smaller dinners already with no effort, just from feeling full sooner, so that has been great.

Leigh'sgottalottolose and Smick like this.
  9. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm not hungry at all.. I ordered Lite'n'easy breakfasts and lunches and it arrived. I'm looking at all the food thinking there's no way I will be able to eat all of that. I figure that if I have it all made up for me I am less likely to skip meals, I have read that can be a problem and I want to make sure that I develop good habits not bad ones. I will have small dinners with the family. Last night I served up less than half I would normally and I still struggled. Just not interested in food. LOTS of water though. :cool:

BeeDreamy likes this.
  10. BeeDreamy

BeeDreamy New Member
    Registered

Yes the drinking water is great for me :)

11. Lanny Edey

Lanny Edey Member
    Registered

So you are a Pharmacist Smick? It will be good to have your valuable professional advice on here :)
    Most of my family are in the medical profession including the Aust Pharmacy Guild.
    Hope you do well with your journey and crack some big goals mate.
    Rock on, staty fab ;-)

12. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ah. No. :mad: Pharmacy assistant and studying to be a dispensary assistant.

13. viOwi

viOwi New Member
    Registered

Hey guys, started yesterday fist day was great no hunger but lot of thirsty for water, I'm on 30g. I excises every day, but today I feel sick, soar trout is it normal, what other side effect is there that I shOuld know about plz help

14. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had the sore throat for about a week. Thought I was getting a cold. It got better though, so persevere.
    Inability to sleep is common. I find that I can sleep but I don't need as much as normal and when awake I am never tired.
    I have also had a few headaches. Not sure if it is the D or caffeine withdrawal.
    All my symptoms are much lessened now @ 3 weeks.

15. viOwi

viOwi New Member
    Registered

Thank Smick, I also though is was a cold, I'm a water drink kind of person, so don't get headaches, so I'm must just push trough, I need to lose weight, how much did you loose and period

16. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have lost 8 kilos in the last 3 weeks.

17. Leigh'sgottalottolose

Leigh'sgottalottolose Well-Known Member
    Registered

hey Smick , please share what your eating plan is like and are you exercising ? 8 kg in 3 weeks is really good ..

18. viOwi

viOwi New Member
    Registered

Good morning smick, can I so have your eating plan if it is possible, because I don't really know how to eat, an I don't even get hungry so eat 2 fruit in afternoon and only 2min noodles in eve. I know that to diet is becoming a life style so want to make sure that it is a good one.

19. Smick

Smick Well-Known Member
    Registered

No rocket science. I am doing Lite'n'easy for breakfast and lunch from their 1200 cal meal plan. I pop it all in a cooler lunch box for each day. Most days I will still have a little bit left over.
    For dinner I am just cooking for the family and serving my portion up on a small side plate. About 1/4 of what I used to have.
    I figure I am keeping to about 1000 cal per day.
    I have had the odd day where I have forgotten to eat lunch :confused:. Like today, it got to 4:30 and I realised I had not eaten anything since breakfast. I know this is bad and it is sooooo not like me, I usually eat all day and waaay too much. I just have to remember to graze all day from my lunch box.
    I have not been exercising (kids are on holidays and it is too cold - I know... excuses :oops:)
    BUT i have been moving a lot more. Yesterday I cleaned out our 'junk' room, top to bottom. I try not to put the TV on.
    It is a BIG change from what I used to do, eating and movement. I have a lot to lose and I am very motivated. I am sure my losses won't be as great as time goes on. I have always been a good starter, not so good at sticking at it.
    That being said, I feel confident that this is going to work for me as I have stuck to this longer than I have anything in the past few years and it doesn't feel like a chore.
    No counting or stressing about what to eat as it is mostly all there for me with the L&E.
    I have totally cut out all alcohol and I am drinking more water (I am usually not a water drinker at all)
    In the coming weeks I will start walking and wean myself off the L&E to see if I can meal plan for myself (though I do like the variety). I want to teach myself good habits that I can continue on one I am off the D.
    Sharon

Leigh'sgottalottolose and viOwi like this.
  20. Kate

Kate Administrator
    Staff Member

You're doing everything right, Sharon! It is great indeed.
    Cleaning up is a sports too)))) I used to turn on the radio or my favorite playlists and clean up all around, dancing like I could...little dancing here, little dancing there - and you know what? After that I felt as if I had a complete pilates or zumba class! The next day I felt some parts of my body that seemed not working before)))) Plus, dancing is so fun! Why not, when nobody can see you? :D;):cool: